Free first Oil Change means No Oil Change?
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Thread: Free first Oil Change means No Oil Change?

moh

Free first Oil Change means No Oil Change?

I took my 02 Ody to Honda World (Westminster, CA) for 1st Free complimentary oil change (I received a call after 1 week of purchase from Honda World from Customer Service Rep that I can get a free oil change). I made 10AM appointment on 7/6/02 and arrived promptly.

Service Advisor took some owner info and asked me if I wanted a free car wash. I said, yes and told him I will wait in the Customer Lounge. He said it will take 1 hour.

After 1 hour 15 minutes passed, I asked Service Advisor to pull my car out because it is taking too long (I had to baby sit 2 kids and they were getting hungry) and don't need the car wash.

After I came home that night I check the oil (just to feel 5W-20 viscosity oil) and found out that oil is still "dark brown."

I also check oil cap (to pour oil in) and found no sign of opening (still dust on the cap) and no next oil change reminder. I was furious!

On 7/8, I went back early morning and told another advisor that I came in for 1st free oil change. He told me that I had one last Saturday. I asked him to check the dip stick. He told me Dark Brown is normal for new oil color. I told him that I would buy a new bottle of oil and compare the color. At this time he called Service Manager. Service manager said he would correct the problem (did not admit there was problem that they did not do the job and Service Advisor does not know the old vs new Oil color). I told him I wanted to compare the oil in my Ody with new oil and found out color were in fact very different (dark brown vs. almost clear color).

He finally said he would make sure I will get new oil change with new filter. After job was done I check followings.
    1. Make sure new oil was put in by checking dip stick (this time it was almost clear, not dark brown).
    2. Check service record (indicated "operation deleted" was reason for the oil change.
    3. Next oil change reminder sticker in my windshield (with date and 7.5K mile)
    4. Oil cap has oily finger prints and marks.

This experience thought me an important lesson not to trust even dealer. This could have been an isolated incident, but the fact that either Service Advisor nor Service Manger did not admit the problem was great concern to me. What if I drove another 3.75K miles without oild change? This could ruin my new Ody (I think 1st oil change is most important, because there is lots of metal wear due to new parts) and who would pay for warranty if I had engine problem?

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Your situation is obviously a service department playing games but mechanics are only human and it's always a good idea to check behind them. Over the years I've found: loose wheel lug nuts after a brake job, too much oil added during an oil change, loose oil pan plug (dripping oil) after an oil change, radiator antifreeze in my windshield fluid tank and nice tools left under the hood and elsewhere. They really appreciate getting their tools back.

I also have a magnet on the bottom of my oil filter that about half the oil change guys forget to put on the new filter. One had to go out to his car to get it when I came back- said he thought it was a disposable thing I wouldn't want. It happened twice (a year apart) at a WalMart in McAllen, Texas. I looked back as I opened the hood the second time and they were watching me. I walked over and the guy in the hole handed it to me without a word spoken. You can bet that I check behind those guys but they do have good prices on Mobil-1 Oil changes and they give quick service.

Mechanics are not the only ones who make mistakes. I've done some pretty dumb things myself.
    02 GG-LX SPBB (Self-Propelled Bicycle Box)

Honda hitch, coolers, security/door locks, airbags etc.

02-RRP-EX
    It is always a good idea to check the dealer, especially if you don't trust them. It might be a mechanic that forgot to do something to a dealer that is out to rip you off ! Better safe than sorry. Imagine how many people go in for oil changes to only come out with nothing (and actually paid for the service ).

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

My Bad Dealer Story

I took my car in to have the brakes replaced. When I picked up the car the brake pedal would sink to the floor. I drag over the service manager to have him see what's going on and he say's he'll send over a mechanic. I think the guy he sent over was Gomer the junior assistant car washer who puts his foot on the pedal, it sinks, and he tries to tell me it's supposed to do that! I get smart and check the brake fluid and the container is about a quarter empty. I show that to Gomer and the service manager who then put more brake fluid in and say "That should fix it" and leave. I get in and sink the brake pedal a few more times then check the fluid, and wouldn't you know it, it's about a quarter low again. At this point I drag the service manager back over who decides there may be a problem here! They keep it overnight and the next day find that, huh they forgot to close some valve!

The bottom line is they were more than willing to send me out on the road with brakes that were obviously faulty and I haven't been back there since!

Just an FYI the dealership was Family Auto on Shadeland Avenue in Indianapolis for those playing at home.

Re: My Bad Dealer Story

I had a friend who took her Honda Civic in to a dealer in Santa Monica, CA, for an oil change. They only did half the job - drained the oil and put the drain plug back in, but forgot to add any new oil . The service manager had her convinced that it was something she did wrong to make the oil disappear . She drove >5 miles with no oil before she got the car back to the dealer. They finally agreed to fill it up with oil at no extra cost , after a lot of prodding. Nice bunch of crooks!

02-RRP-EX

Re: Re: My Bad Dealer Story

Originally posted by Maugham
    I had a friend who took her Honda Civic in to a dealer in Santa Monica, CA, for an oil change. They only did half the job - drained the oil and put the drain plug back in, but forgot to add any new oil . The service manager had her convinced that it was something she did wrong to make the oil disappear . She drove >5 miles with no oil before she got the car back to the dealer. They finally agreed to fill it up with oil at no extra cost , after a lot of prodding. Nice bunch of crooks!
    Driving >5 miles with no oil and all she got was the oil she already paid for put in? I'm surprised it didn't seize-up. I'm sure there must have been some internal damage. That sounds more like a Jiffy Lube story .

Re: Re: Re: My Bad Dealer Story

Originally posted by 02-RRP-EX

Driving >5 miles with no oil and all she got was the oil she already paid for put in? I'm surprised it didn't seize-up. I'm sure there must have been some internal damage. That sounds more like a Jiffy Lube story .
    I too was very surprised that it didn't seize right then. I lost track of her after a year so I don't know if the engine failed later on or not. She was quite intimidated by the service manager; he really had her convinced it was not the fault of the service department !

Re: Re: Re: My Bad Dealer Story

Originally posted by 02-RRP-EX

I too was very surprised that it didn't seize right then. I lost track of her after a year so I don't know if the engine failed later on or not. She was quite intimidated by the service manager; he really had her convinced it was not the fault of the service department ! BTW, she was a nurse in a cardiac ICU at UCLA hospital. Wouldn't someone in a role as technical as that have more mechanical sense?

Orlando, the great Republican state of Florida
    Upon finding that result, I would have told them to leave the car right were it was, don't touch it- and have the police get involved. They actually endangered her life and her property with negligence. I smell Lawsuit.

Originally posted by Phace
    Upon finding that result, I would have told them to leave the car right were it was, don't touch it- and have the police get involved. They actually endangered her life and her property with negligence. I smell Lawsuit.

Let me put it this way - she was not in the running to be named "The Most Mechanically-inclined Person on the
    Planet."

When she told me about this exploit later on, she mentioned that she thought that the red oil light came on because it should do that whenever the oil is changed and didn't really mean anything. This was back in the 80s.

Maugham¿

Re: Re: My Bad Dealer Story

Originally posted by Maugham
    Their sales department isn't much better, another place to stay away from.
    2002 GG-EX

14. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements