Job Market Be Damned: Quitting Our Jobs and Hitting the Road! - Page 2
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Job Market Be Damned: Quitting Our Jobs and Hitting the Road!

I did the platform bed thing once too and it worked out really well, you'll really like the convenience. Mine was of 2x2's with a hinged plywood top wrapped in that automotive fabric that had 1/4" foam adhered to it. not supper comfy but OK in a pinch. I also used some old worn out lift gate gas struts to push open and hold the bed/lid up. It worked like a champ and almost too strong to close.
    You'll need books on tape, cd, mp3, something that will really grab your attention. (we once drove 36 hours to DC and couldn't wait to get back in the van to hear what happened.) lol You will find that you have brought too much stuff. Do a short 3 day trip to see what you really need and adjust before the long trip. Avoid the water proof bag on top of the van as it kills your aerodynamics and won't be water proof. I found that an aluminum truck tool box bolted to a rear basket that fits into a receiver hitch works really well.
    I look forward to your trip and updates.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Also add Slime to your tires and or carry a small compressor. scan tool if you have one. Common mm sizes of gear wrench wrenches, Volt meeter, wire strippers, big and small channel locks, long magnet, pry bar, assortment of fuses and bits of wire, bailing wire, rope, self sealing tape, silicone sealant, old pantyhose for belt replacement. WD-40. 1 large 2" ratchet strap, works like a come-a-long or tow rope. Change interior bulbs to LED so you can leave them on longer. for curtains I recommend cut to fit aluminum foil bubble wrap from Home Depot. It blocks the light out, reflects the sun, and insulates at night. works great.

Oh, and talking about fluids. Apart from the 1 qt of oil you already have, if you have space, coolant and transmission fluid may be useful. If it does not fit you might find it anywhere, but overpriced for sure.

I know, I know, where you'll fit all this now...

- 2011 Honda Odyssey EX-L w/RES (theirs)
    - My other people mover w/6MT (theirs)

Hidden Content

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

BigBoat
    An extra phone, it can be old, but working, preferably from another carrier, just in case the one you have does not have coverage or runs out of battery

This is covered. Marissa is on AT&T, which as far as I can tell may get reliable coverage only in the darkest of the Four Corners of the Earth - my Verizon has the other 98% covered.

chernickj
    You'll need books on tape, cd, mp3, something that will really grab your attention.

I’ve begun amassing Podcasts and novels for the Kindle. Unfortunately, my partner and I have a combined attention span only slightly greater than that of an anxious toddler subjected to a documentary on Kansas narrated by Ben Stein. We may have to get a little creative to keep our interest across the longer, more desolate stretches of highway… Mark my words, if we have to resort to the Alphabet Game more than once per Time Zone, I plan on suffering a breakdown of sorts that will involve small amounts of self-control and large amounts of shouting, careening, and dashboard-punching. I guess I’m open to suggestion with regards to passing time…

chernickj
    for curtains I recommend cut to fit aluminum foil bubble wrap from Home Depot.

I have nearly a full spool of the foil-backed bubble fabric in a closet somewhere. We discussed it as one option for curtains. One stipulation for this install would be that the outward-facing surfaces of each pane would need to be painted black or fabric-backed to have a tinted look (a little less suspicious – we’re not looking to be noticed by any concerned residents or the Fuzz). I guess the windshield would be different because the material would pass as a reflective sun-screen. And while these could be very practical, they almost certainly would lack the inherent charisma of true cloth curtains.

I like your idea about changing the cabin lights to LED to conserve battery power. What I ended up doing was modifying a couple of solar path-lights into a cheap and worry-free lantern/chandelier that will probably only be used very rarely anyway. When you don’t want the lights on, you just throw them under the bed (or I guess remove the batteries)! I’ll post pictures of these this weekend.

A bit of coolant is a definite that I thought I included on the original list, but come to think of it, it’s probably not a bad idea to have some leak-stop for the radiator as well. Even though the list seems long, running through it in my head, I really don’t think we’ll have a problem fitting the essentials in the van. There’s quite a bit of room inside this thing.

Talking about batteries, got a couple of them for the kids, they love them. LED is decent enough:

LJUSA Flashlight, hand-powered - IKEA

Hidden Content

Keep posted. Our last days of work were yesterday and we've just a few days to clean out our apartment here in Chicago - a task that I liken to 100 simultaneous nightmares. I would rather chew on gravel than keep packing. I would rather stub my toe on a large rock then find out that the rock was actually a block of a well and subsequently topple over headlong into the well than face moving out. I would rather jump off the high-dive into a pool full of angry hornets than pack another box. I would rather watch a full season of Full House than load anything else into the truck.

OK, I'm done...

Full House?
    You poor soul....

I love this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by no_code View Post
    Keep posted. Our last days of work were yesterday and we've just a few days to clean out our apartment here in Chicago - a task that I liken to 100 simultaneous nightmares. I would rather chew on gravel than keep packing. I would rather stub my toe on a large rock then find out that the rock was actually a block of a well and subsequently topple over headlong into the well than face moving out. I would rather jump off the high-dive into a pool full of angry hornets than pack another box. I would rather watch a full season of Full House than load anything else into the truck.
    Glad to hear you are having a blast

Just hang in there, you are getting closer

Hidden Content

Gear Review #1: Blitzsafe M-LINK

Okay, so this is the first of what I hope to be many gear reviews for various items to be used on our trip. I'm sure the subject of this and all subsequent reviews has been covered profusely throughout the forums so try to ignore any redundancy.

I will be reviewing my recently installed Blitzsafe M-LINK. I need to preface this a little bit by saying that I was able to though I haven't had the unit installed in the Odyssey long enough to formulate a good review, I had one of these same units installed on an old Civic for years so I feel that I have adequate background to speak somewhat informedly on its use and quality.

Blitzsafe makes a line of audio interconnects for external devices to factory stereo receivers. The model I chose is strictly a male 30-pin iPod interface.

IMG_7456.jpg
    These Made-in-the-U.S.A. components plug into the factory 9-pin jack for the then-optional CD changers and tape decks. I was looking for a means of listening to my iPod/iPhone through the high-quality 30-pin connection (as opposed to the 3.5mm jack) while charging and maintaining the factory-look of the dashboard. If these three basic qualities are important to you as well, I couldn't more strongly recommend the Blitzsafe line.

Though the M-LINK 1 that I purchased is incapable of forwarding iPod controls to your receiver, they offer products that do. The construction is very high quality, the install very straightforward, and the reliability impeccable.

Pulled out the radio, plugged in the unit...

IMG_7455.jpg

IMG_7457.jpg

The 30-pin to 9-pin cable, packaged separately, I plumped through the dashboard after wrapping in some plastic ribbed cable-sleeving to protect it from the bare metal subframe of the dash. This way the jack snakes right out of the glove compartment. Usually, a playlist would be selected and the iPod would be left in the closed glove-box during operation.

Final install:

IMG_7460.jpg

Right away, we turned on the stereo, pressed the TAPE/CD source button and the iPod began charging immediately and sounded great.

We're finally out of Chicago and getting everything finalized for our departure. We're in Ohio now getting all if our gear around. As long as we can get everything on the van ready, we should be leaving in the next few days. We've yet to finish the curtains, and I need to get new tires but I think that will about do it.

I'll post pictures of the curtain install when we get to it...

Quote Originally Posted by no_code View Post
    [SIZE=3][FONT=times new roman]
    Some new tires, replacing the exhaust manifold, and giving it a fresh oil change is all it'll need and we'll be ready. Driving it back from to Toledo from Chicago on the Turnpike at around 15 degrees, I recorded 28.5 mpg. So great.
    I applaud your work and this project. It looks like you have all the creature comforts more than adequately covered, however, I would focus more on the mechanical aspects of your van, beyond new tyres and an oil and filter change, as above. Any mechanical failure would be a major inconvenience on this high mileage (how many?) van.

At a minimum, I would suggest the following: Check the belts, hoses and motor mounts. Does the service record reflect that the timing belt, power steering belt, serpentine belt and water pump have ever been replaced?

Drain and replace the coolant with Honda brand antifreeze -- it takes about 1.5 gallons and is easy to do. I would not use stop leak unless for a dire emergency.

Add some RainX to your windshield washer fluid for improved visibility in rainy weather.

Check the 4-wheel alignment. The dealer price for this is around $75 -- sometimes they run a special. Check the tightness of your wheel nuts -- they should be torqued to 80 foot-pounds.

I don't know if this year model has a pollen filter for cabin air. If so, then I would replace it -- you will notice much improved air flow for both heating and cooling.

I saw nothing about servicing the transmission -- your Achilles heel. Therefore I would, at a minimum, buy 14 quarts of synthetic (non-Honda brand) transmission fluid and drain and refill the transmission four times. If you do nothing else before your departure, do this.

BTW, there is another forum member who build a sleeping platform like you have done. Hopefully you can search and find his posts and photographs for more ideas.

Here is hoping you have a mechanically trouble free trip.
    Last edited by sinbad; 03-20-2012 at 05:32 PM.
    2002 EX-TW ; Weathertechs; Splash; 4X Pioneer 1695's w/ Blaupunkt Casablanca head unit; Hella Supertone Horns; Hitch w/ Transmission & Power Steering Coolers; 2001 Five-spoke Alloy Wheels, California Flames, K&N Air Filter; FilterMag magnetic oil filter; Galaxy DX-959 mobile CB w/ Wilson 1,000 mag mount antenna;Valentine One; Schrader Nickle Plated Brass Valve Stem Caps; Odyssey 1200MJT mil-spec battery.

Gas mileage!

Also easy to do: replace the spark plugs with NGK brand plugs as per your owners manual. This cannot but help your gas mileage.

Prior to your departure oil change, and before subsequent oil changes en route (you do plan on changing the oil @ about every 3,000 miles, yes?), add some fuel system cleaner to a tank of gas. Suggested brands available at your local auto parts store are: Red Line SI-1, Sea Foam, Techron, BG44K. This will increase your gas mileage maybe a couple of ticks.
    2002 EX-TW ; Weathertechs; Splash; 4X Pioneer 1695's w/ Blaupunkt Casablanca head unit; Hella Supertone Horns; Hitch w/ Transmission & Power Steering Coolers; 2001 Five-spoke Alloy Wheels, California Flames, K&N Air Filter; FilterMag magnetic oil filter; Galaxy DX-959 mobile CB w/ Wilson 1,000 mag mount antenna;Valentine One; Schrader Nickle Plated Brass Valve Stem Caps; Odyssey 1200MJT mil-spec battery.

Quote Originally Posted by sinbad View Post
    Here is hoping you have a mechanically trouble free trip.
    Thanks, sinbad for the thoughtful suggestions.

Under the hood, the hoses are new, gaskets are new, coolant has been changed, oil and filter are fresh, and the air filter looks decent. I probably will replace the plugs, but I pulled them and all are free of any serious fouling and the gaps are in spec.

Motor mounts look good, but have clearly never been replaced (van has 160k). While the van was up on the rack, I also noticed that all belts had recently been replaced (put some soap on them for some minor squeaking during startup - seemed to alleviate the problem) and the half-axels are basically new.

I checked the transmission fluid and it looked fine. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I remember reading that the chronic transmission issues more plagued the '98 model year. I guess it couldn't hurt to drain what's present and top it off. It wouldn't be a full-cycle replacement, but would that be truly necessary? I am definitely open to doing the work, I guess I am generally just not too worried.

As for the wheels, I am planning on replacing the tires on my Civic's aluminum wheels (5 X 114.3 HP - the same bolt pattern as the Odyssey), have them balanced and then see about an alignment on the van.

The battery is a little old, though seems to hold a charge well so i may replace it or I may not. And I definitely will be putting some Injector cleaner into the fuel.

The exhaust system is a total wreck. For the time being, it's staying up but there are some pinholes after the cat. Also, the bolts in the spring-loaded joints before the muffler are terribly corroded and don't make a great seal - very loud, but again, it seems to be holding well enough.

OK, sound like you have addressed the mechanical issues.

re: spark plugs. You will notice the difference with new plugs -- esp., mileage.

re: motor mounts. Check underside of front mount with mirror for cracks. Check passenger side mount for leakage of dark orange oily fluid. Observe motor under hood for movement while helper revs motor. Check other three mounts if you have movement.

re: exhaust system. Expensive to replace, but I am alarmed the you say that it is loud -- this means a major leak and possible carbon monoxide poisoning and loss of life. This deserves the classic probability, gravity utility analysis. Calculus of negligence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

re: transmission. You do not mention anywhere the year and mileage of your ODY. AT problems began to be reported in the 1999 year, but I would not give any AT an 8,000 mile base-on-balls, especially since you do not know the history of the fluid. Replace the ATF with fresh, non-heat-degraded, aftermarket, synthetic ATF. You can only drain about 3.5 quarts of the 8.3 total volume, so here are the percentages of new fluid contained after each drain and fill: 42, 66, 81, 89, 93.5 and 96.2. (Your percentages may vary.) Do at least 3, preferably 4, drains and fills. Tip: Do one drain and fill concurrently with each subsequent oil change. Again it is: probability, gravity , utility.

Im about 6hrs north of minniapolis Mn in Canada, if you get anywhere near us I'll throw in a Free Oil change and check over , just PM me throught here and I'll give you directions

Al

18. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast