Job Market Be Damned: Quitting Our Jobs and Hitting the Road! - Page 3
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Job Market Be Damned: Quitting Our Jobs and Hitting the Road!

Quote Originally Posted by sinbad View Post
    This deserves the classic probability, gravity utility analysis.
    Point taken on both accounts, sinbad. Thanks for the input!

Quote Originally Posted by akesj1
    if you get anywhere near us I'll throw in a Free Oil change and check over
    Thanks very much, that's very generous of you! I'll keep you posted when we get near that point. We were talking about heading back out after our escapade is over at some point to tour us some Canada... Mostly I just want to explore the mountains and see Vancouver.

I promise that I'll get around to a food post some day...

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

We put the mattress into the van today. The overhead storage net is rigged up. Did a couple of ATF service flushes and got the Civic's 16" aluminum wheels on. I also decided to buy a new battery so that is installed, as well. I dropped it off for a new set of tires and an alignment so I will take some pictures tomorrow. Right now, it seems like there is no reason we shouldn't be able to leave Saturday morning for Memphis...

We're Off!

As promised, here's some final install pictures of the wheels, the bed, and the storage loft. The curtains are complete (hemmed with tacked on velcro) - they look good and I'll eventually post pictures of them up. We're on the road to Memphis this morning. Wish us luck, and keep posted!

IMG_7465.jpg

IMG_7467.jpg

IMG_7468.jpg

IMG_7469.jpg
    IMG_7464.jpg

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by no_code View Post
    Wish us luck, and keep posted!
    Best of luck, happy and safe travel. I did that trip back in the day (did my school in Illinois), Pay a visit to the King while in there

- 2011 Honda Odyssey EX-L w/RES (theirs)
    - My other people mover w/6MT (theirs)

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by BigBoat View Post
    Pay a visit to the King while in there
    And let us know if it was an overdose or something else what killed him, I have my doubts...

Peanut butter, banana and bacon sandwich - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hidden Content

In Memphis, stop by the Rendezvous restaurant for BBQ ribs -- you can call in the order for pickup if you do not have time for a full stop. It is located downtown, in the alley across Union Street from the Peabody Hotel.

For the penultimate BBQ sandwich, go to Payne's BBQ, in a converted filling station in mid-town at the corner of Lamar Ave and South McLean (Walker Ave) -- you can drive right up to the front door and park.

Payne

Payne's Bar-B-Que - Memphis, TN
    2002 EX-TW ; Weathertechs; Splash; 4X Pioneer 1695's w/ Blaupunkt Casablanca head unit; Hella Supertone Horns; Hitch w/ Transmission & Power Steering Coolers; 2001 Five-spoke Alloy Wheels, California Flames, K&N Air Filter; FilterMag magnetic oil filter; Galaxy DX-959 mobile CB w/ Wilson 1,000 mag mount antenna;Valentine One; Schrader Nickle Plated Brass Valve Stem Caps; Odyssey 1200MJT mil-spec battery.

First night sleeping in the Odyssey was a success! The bed was very comfortable, albeit a little short but I can only blame my veritable clown-shoe feet and proportionately long toes. The curtains worked well, we found a quiet neighborhood with plenty of other cars spotting the streets and slept pretty well.

In fact, at the risk of jinxing ourselves out of our entire trip, the whole van performed flawlessly the whole drive here. Here's some statistics:

Miles driven: 670
    State lines crossed: 2
    Avg. MPG: 28.8
    Music (mostly): Passion Pit, The Smiths, Pernice Brothers, Waters
    Mechanical issues: 0

Additionally, we also passed the Louisville Speedway, various State Parks, Jackson, TN, and a black-coated Gray Wolf along the Kentucky highway (evidently a very small population has been appearing in Kentucky, with sighting being very rare).

We were on Kentucky's Bourbon Trail, but because it was Saturday, we were unable to stop to dip our own Maker's Mark bottles, or see many of the other Kentucky Touristy stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by sinbad
    In Memphis, stop by the Rendezvous restaurant for BBQ ribs...
    I really appreciate your suggestion, sinbad. This is probably a good time to mention another facet of our trip: Marissa and I are both vegetarian. We also don't consume dairy. We figure our restaurant visits will be limited only to those establishments that advertise vegan, or are otherwise known for an animal-free specialty. For the most part, we will be preparing food ourselves.

IMG_7470.jpg
    For lunch, we made an avacado, chickpea salad. Very filling, and at about $4.00 per person, fits my exceedingly cheap standards! For dinner, we had tomato and rice burritos, with fruit and granola bars as snacks.

We're in memphis now, Marissa just got back from her run and I am hijacking some free McDonald's WiFi, which may be the only vegan thing they offer. We're going to cruise around Memphis for a few hours, then start heading down to New Orleans...

A few pictures of the Odyssey in Memphis:

IMG_7480.jpg

IMG_7482.jpg

IMG_7481.jpg

We left Memphis and immediately headed to Graceland. Turns out the minimum charge for getting in is around $40.00, the mansion is not visible from the road, and I don't think it was open the hours we were there... so we were there but that's it. Memphis was pretty neat... reminiscent of St. Louis to me, probably just because of The River.

So out of Tennessee, we headed towards New Orleans via Jackson, Mississippi. I hope for Jackson's sake, the inactivity there was due to it being a Sunday. Not a whole lot was going on there, just a lot of vacant buildings and an absurdly inconvenient number of closed coffee shops.

Mississippi proved to be a beautiful state - at least to which parts I was exposed. Prettier, in my limited opinion, than Tennessee, which I thought was also nice. We had garlicky black bean burritos for lunch, but other than that, it was just another fairly long day of driving. A couple of dead armadillos along the side of the road later and we hit Louisiana. We are planning to stay somewhere just north of Lake Pontchartrain this evening in our mobile-motel. Tomorrow morning we are taking the causeway over to NO, LA (the causeway bridge is the longest continuous span bridge over water in the world).

The shower situation is escalating. We both meant to register for the YMCA before departure, ensuring nationwide places to both shower and work out, but our procrastination once again managed to scuttle our best intentions. Now that whole thing is a bit complicated... Oh well, we'll figure something out. Worse comes to worse tomorrow, we just take a dip in the Gulf (water temperature is 74F). That's right... vegans... sleeping in a van... bathing in the ocean... I swear we're not hippies. We don't even use hallucinogens or fashion accessories from hemp.

The statistics:

Miles: 370
    Avg MPG: 29.8
    State lines crossed: 2
    Various complaints, gripes, and whinings: 226
    Jars of Pickled Pig Lips purchased: 0, though too many were seen to forget. Ever.

And let us know if it was an overdose or something else what killed him, I have my doubts...
    Jury is still out on this one, BigBoat. I tried to ask his large sculpture, but he only gave me a slack-jawed look. I have a theory that he visited Jackson, Mississippi and just decided this plane of existence wasn't worth the effort.

Quick update:

Last night, we slept near Mandeville, a beautiful suburb north of The Lake that's long on charisma. We crossed over the Pontchartrain Causeway early and spent the bulk of the day roaming around New Orleans's French Quarter and Downtown. The city and a few of it's neighboring suburbs are fantastic. Colorful and musical, it's a brand of urban that's unlike any other I've seen. Boutiques and galleries speckle the streets of the French Quarter, and the scent of Creole cuisine permeates the brick walls. What was also striking was the blatant sense of community that everyone around us seemed to share. Marissa and I both loved the area, the architecture, and the culture.

We grabbed the lunch special at a progressive cafe called Carmo. Carmo hosts a Caribbean-fusion menu with a few Vegan options in a quaint but colorful space in the Business District off of Camp Street. Highly recommended.

While in NOLA, we also visited St. Louis Cemetery off of Canal Street - "The City Of The Dead". Very beautiful, except for the obnoxiously out-of-character pyramidal tomb that was built and held for actor Nicolas Cage and his family. Evidently he's planning for the day that his body catches up with his career.

We departed New Orleans in search of a cheap shower in the afternoon. Made it to Baton Rouge through another few dozen miles of swampland. We're stopped now for some blogging and battery-charging.

Lots of city driving, and I was convinced that our milage would look grim. Got gas outside of BR: 27.6 avg. MPG. Not bad at all.

Good to read you are having a good time (and that you showered ... j/k)

Yeah, I was about to say that while in NOLA is difficult to be vegetarian due to its creole influence (chicken, pork, you name it), but glad you made it allright.

That cemetery is spooky, with all the graves above ground, and the MPG is awesome. I only get above 27 on the highway, this Odyssey generation is a complete different monster...

Oh well, thanks for sharing

Hidden Content

Lake Charles, LA

Decided to stay in Lake Charles, LA last night. On our way in, we of course had to listen to Lucinda Williams, but our relatively short trip here was ridden on Pretenders, local Creole on the radio, and The Police. I woke up and walked to Starbucks, because Marissa borders comatose when she's tired and evidently these measly 9-hour nights of sleep have cumulatively left her sleep-deprived, so she's making up for lost time.

It's a nice town, with seemingly nicer people. I just don't understand it, strangers sit down with one another and have lively conversations over coffee. One man has had three conversations of over 10 minutes apiece with three separate individuals that walked in at separate times over the last hour. I can't relate to this sort of social comfort. People sit and stare with smiles on their faces and others just introduce themselves. It seems a far cry from Chicago, where you hurry around from task to task and if someone were to try to interact with you, you immediately look toward your feet and walk faster. I find myself feigning a smile if someone momentarily makes eye-contact. It's very charming, but like the Twilight Zone...

Anyway, once satellite crashes to Earth in the parking lot or something and Marissa wakes up, we'll be off. Plan on crossing East Texas headed for Austin. Hear-tell we'll fit right in at Austin. It's just a shame we missed SXSW by a week or two.

Statistics:

Miles: Very few
    Avg. MPG: 27.6
    State lines crossed: 0
    Mechanical issues: Curtain design is finicky...
    Meaningful social interactions with locals: 0

southern hospitality thats what it is all about. Cant find that in the northeast, west or midwest.

Austin, TX

A backpost from NOLA. Thought it would be good for the forums...

IMG_7569.jpg

And one of Marissa at a Vietnam Veterans' memorial outside of Lake Charles...

IMG_7578.jpg

Right, so we're holed up in a Starbucks in Austin. We stopped at Sabine Lake to take some pictures and ship some packages. The drive through East Texas was spirit-crushingly hot, due in no small part to the 85F weather and my own miserly attitude towards air conditioning: that is to say, we don't use it.

We skipped Houston on the 610 bypass to avoid too much traffic. Coming from the 3rd most populous city in the nation, we weren't thrilled about experiencing the fourth. On our way, we had no illusions about rural/industrial Texas's vegetarian-friendliness, but we made a nice Louisiana-style chili with beans, rice, chilis, and some hot sauce.

IMG_7590.jpg

We pulled into Austin late, but we were able to catch a picture of the State Capitol building and some local fare at the East Side Drive-In, a quirky vagabond-esque dirt lot encircled by street-food trailer-vendors, spotted with recycled wire-spool tables, and lit by incandescent string lights.

IMG_7598.jpg

IMG_7603.jpg

I had the Frito Burrito from a stand called The Vegan Yacht. Fantastic, though all of these beans I have been eating are inevitably going to reach critical mass, and I pity the victims of the fallout.

IMG_7602.jpg
    Not sure where we're headed next or if we're leaving today. Keep you posted...

Oh, and quick stats:

Miles driven: 350
    Avg. MPG: 25.6
    State lines crossed:

Also on that note, we got onto 10 in Texas, it was mile-marker 878 or something... turns out, Texas is a wide state.

This might be odd, but why not tint the car? At least the back where you have installed a bed.
    And also, I have always been curious about this, why do you (and many other people) feel compelled to share what otherwise is seemingly a very private and cathartic journey with the rest of the world? As well as why, having shared the journey, you are further compelled to include aspects like how many underwear you packed? There is no judgment intended here - it's a purely psychological question.

18. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast