Job Market Be Damned: Quitting Our Jobs and Hitting the Road! - Page 4
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Job Market Be Damned: Quitting Our Jobs and Hitting the Road!

Adam, sorry you had to pass up the award winning "Q" at my old stomping grounds in Memphis. You did not miss anything by bypassing Graceland -- overrated and touristy.

Neat photos of the ODY in front of the Pyramid, Mud Island (great river museum) from the cobble stones, and the Cargill grain towers. The Pyramid is a long vacant, failed development that was to be the site of giant Bass Pro Shop store (with monster taxpayer subsidies), but it was going to cost millions to earthquake-proof it, so I think is is in limbo again, and that bombed-out area of downtown will not get the stimulus that the Bass Pro Shop was to provide.

You are in foodie and food trailer heaven at Austin -- where I am. The trailers are everywhere -- everyone wants to quit their job and move to Austin and open a food trailer! The East Side on 6th is right in the cool "happenin'" part of town. I am sure you will find plenty to do -- just ask around -- most everybody is real friendly and helpful.

Here are some downtown suggestion for you: North side of Lady Bird Lake YMCA TownLake Branch | YMCA of Austin | Austin, TX ; youth hostel on south side of lake Hostelling International Austin in Austin, USA - Find Cheap Hostels and Rooms at Hostelworld.com
    if you still need a shower take a dip in the famous Barton Springs Swimming pool Barton Springs Pool - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Happy trails!
    2002 EX-TW ; Weathertechs; Splash; 4X Pioneer 1695's w/ Blaupunkt Casablanca head unit; Hella Supertone Horns; Hitch w/ Transmission & Power Steering Coolers; 2001 Five-spoke Alloy Wheels, California Flames, K&N Air Filter; FilterMag magnetic oil filter; Galaxy DX-959 mobile CB w/ Wilson 1,000 mag mount antenna;Valentine One; Schrader Nickle Plated Brass Valve Stem Caps; Odyssey 1200MJT mil-spec battery.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by HamZer11 View Post
    This might be odd, but why not tint the car? At least the back where you have installed a bed.
    Tinting was one of our first thoughts for the rear three windows. Professional tinting was cost-prohibitive, and the store-bought DIY stuff turned out to be too finicky and looked unacceptable once installed. In retrospect I'm glad it didn't work out. When we're driving around, the van feels a lot less claustrophobic and cave-y.

Quote Originally Posted by HamZer11 View Post
    And also, I have always been curious about this, why do you (and many other people) feel compelled to share what otherwise is seemingly a very private and cathartic journey with the rest of the world? As well as why, having shared the journey, you are further compelled to include aspects like how many underwear you packed? There is no judgment intended here - it's a purely psychological question.
    I cannot speak on behalf of any other bloggers/users, but I personally wanted to start a thread for this trip because I know how much I have enjoyed reading others' stories. I have basically been lurking threads like these across several forums for a long time and have drawn a lot of inspiration out of the various experiences of others. I particularly enjoy reading about in-depth trip-preparations, including detailed inventories, and I don't consider underwear a taboo subject. Call it giving back to the online community at-large.

This forum and our companion blog also serve a couple other key functions;
    1. Many of our family members (suffering from epidemic worry and worst-case-scenario doomsday disorder) and friends wanted a way to track our progress that these pages provide.
    2. Blogging also offers convenient means of journaling that's uniquely interactive and communal. It comes to feel like there're more companions on the adventure.
    3. Long, basically aimless, trips like this can become routine, boring. Posting to an online community carves out some purpose, some drive. There's one more reason to stop in a WiFi hotspot and provide all the desk-jockeys out there some deserved relief from endless business memos, Purchase Requisitions, and training videos.

I don't think that this trip has to be very private to have some internal impact, nor am I holding my breath for a cathartic journey. There are things that I am omitting from my entries, some by choice and some because I'm not dedicated or well-written enough to articulate every single aesthetic facet of my surroundings.

These posts reflect the parts of the trip that I may forget, what's left unwritten reflects the parts I won't.

...Roswell, NM

Well, we spent most of ...Wednesday(?) just exploring and enjoying Austin. It's a really awesome town on it's own, let alone in the context of the rest of Texas. Very youthful and full of character. It was also a refreshing break from the heat as it was overcast and rainy our entire tenure there. Can't say enough good things about Austin.

IMG_7704.jpg

But we got the itch, woke up early this morning and hit the rode again to cross West Texas. A few hundred miles of pan-fried countryside and a few sights later and we finally ...were still trying to leave Texas. The state is obscenely massive. Another fun fact: every citizen in rural Texas owns at least one large truck, the width of which must exceed that of any one-lane road.

IMG_7786.jpg IMG_7746.jpg

Then I'm not sure what happened. We were on the unending US 10 somewhere in Reeves county, we must've hit exactly 88 mph and violent flashes of bright white light began to trace the outside of the van. I think I blacked out for a second and we found ourselves just outside Carlsbad, NM with streaks of fire behind either tire. We ended up making pretty decent time into Roswell from there.

100_1065.jpg

100_1066.jpg

100_1068.jpg

We'll probably sleep in the Wal-Mart tonight because we're both too exhausted to look for anything more interesting. More posts soon...

Miles driven: 550
    Avg. MPG: about 27 (23.4 on the half-tank we used AC)
    State lines crossed: just 1
    Skeletal carcasses closely examined: >2
    N-jumps through the fabric of the Space-Time Continuum: ​1

We'll be exploring Roswell and it's E.T. reputation tomorrow!

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

I'm going to back-post a couple here as I've not been keeping the blogging up to date with the adventures.

Roswell, NM

We saw the sights. That is to say we went to the "International" UFO Museum and Research Center. The whole UFO-crash storyboard is fun if you can convince your better judgement to play along. It doesn't help that the displays mostly resemble poorly constructed high school dioramas. Worth seeing, and we bought a few things in the gift shop.

100_1102.jpg

Coming out of Roswell, we chowed on some bean tortillas. We remarked to ourselves about the desolation of the desert, quick stopped in Santa Fe, then laddered up to Albuquerque.

100_1172.jpg

100_1137.jpg

Albuquerque, NM

Albuquerque was an unexpectedly awesome town. New Mexico University seemed to really pump a unique culture-charge into the city. Marissa and I spent the day exploring the city.

IMG_7811.jpg

Central Avenue, right next to the college was fun. Chock-full of quirkiness, fancy diners, vintage and thrift places, tattoo parlors, bars and boutiques. Very college-town stuff, but very charming, particularly in contract to the surrounding geography. Also, they must have a shortage of young redheads in New Mexico, because Marissa was getting the looks like I wasn't even there. One local gentlemen stopped on the sidewalk, said fumblingly: "Hi, there." eagerly awaiting a response as we walked past. I looked over my shoulder and he just remained in place watching her walk away. I should've said hello.

100_1142.jpg

The next morning we headed for Colorado, via Taos. Before Leaving, we ate at the Route 66 Diner where I had three sides of Hash Browns with onions and green chiles. Our orders at diners like these are always ridiculous.

100_1151.jpg

Then we hit the road.

100_1156.jpg

That catches me up to yesterday.

Miles driven: Not many
    Avg. MPG: 27.2
    State lines crossed:​ 0

Colorado

I wanted to swing by Taos, NM to check out the headquarters of Earthship Biotecture, a firm specializing in highly efficient off-the-grid homes that are built almost entirely of native soil and upcycled waste-stream products like used tires and pop-cans. For more information, I highly recommend you check out their website (though the site itself is very poorly put together: Sustainable Green Buildings Earthship Biotecture | Beyond LEED Architecture ).

The homes are beautiful, usual require an annual utility cost of around $100.00 in cooking fuel, maintain a constant internal temperature of about 65F year-round, and can be built with a materials cost of $10K-$15K. The construction is technically very simple, though very laborious. The would be a pretty good option for the anti-social environmentalist whom also fears the inevitable zombie-apacolypse.

100_1197.jpg
    100_1216.jpg
    While in the Taos area, we also scoured the local peddlers for a high-quality Turquoise ring for Marissa, and drove over the Rio Grande Gorge Bridge. Impressive design, and pants-wetting scenery made it a pretty memorable experience.

100_1192.jpg

100_1194.jpg

IMG_7919.jpg
    When we crossed the state line into Colorado, it was if someone flipped a switch and the scenery changed. All the sudden, green. We pulled into Colorado Springs late at night and we'll be exploring it today. I'll keep you all posted!

IMG_7893.jpg

IMG_8017.jpg

Miles driven: 378
    Avg. MPG: 31.9 (!)
    State lines crossed: 1
    Music: Muse, Johnny Cash, and Duran Duran when driving over the Rio Grande, of course.
    Mechanical issues: I want to replace the curtains with coroplast panels for ease of use (the adhesive-backed velcro has trouble in the heat of the southwest). Also, I have some minor trouble putting the transmission into gear when cold. When I stop for an oil change, I am going to have them do a couple more service flushes. Probably with Honda ATF.

Gear Review #2

Kleen Kanteen Stainless-Steel Vacuum Insulated Wide-Mouth Bottle

I've had the 12 oz. model for a little over a year and had to bring it on the trip. I also invested another $10.00 or $12.00 in a drinkable lid. While not completely leakproof with this lid, it works well for cupholders. I suppose for real rough and tumble trips, I could replace it with the leakproof plug.

100_1237.jpg

I got mine in Kansas City, at a The North Face store and I paid something like $30.00 for the whole package. honestly, it works so well I would have paid more in retrospect. I've used it for both hot coffee and iced... well... coffee and it holds it's temperature very very well and it comfortable to hold, drink from, and will fit into most any drink holder. (Except for the pathetic tray in the front of the Odyssey). Highly recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by no_code View Post
    Also, I have some minor trouble putting the transmission into gear when cold. When I stop for an oil change, I am going to have them do a couple more service flushes. Probably with Honda ATF.
    Recommend anything BUT Honda ATF; it has too much friction modifier. Use Synthetic Mobile-1 ATF, Synthetic Red Line D-4 ATF, or Synthetic Amsoil multi vehicle ATF. Do at least THREE drains and fills. Good luck.
    2002 EX-TW ; Weathertechs; Splash; 4X Pioneer 1695's w/ Blaupunkt Casablanca head unit; Hella Supertone Horns; Hitch w/ Transmission & Power Steering Coolers; 2001 Five-spoke Alloy Wheels, California Flames, K&N Air Filter; FilterMag magnetic oil filter; Galaxy DX-959 mobile CB w/ Wilson 1,000 mag mount antenna;Valentine One; Schrader Nickle Plated Brass Valve Stem Caps; Odyssey 1200MJT mil-spec battery.

Quote Originally Posted by sinbad View Post
    Recommend anything BUT Honda ATF; it has too much friction modifier. Use Synthetic Mobile-1 ATF, Synthetic Red Line D-4 ATF, or Synthetic Amsoil multi vehicle ATF. Do at least THREE drains and fills. Good luck.
    Thanks for the advice, sinbad. This topic has been discussed to death in the other threads and I spent some time pouring over those a few weeks ago. I did two service flushes with Red Line before we left, I'll probably end up doing it myself when we stop so I might just use the same again.

Boulder, CO

Spent the last couple nights in Colorado Springs. Beautiful mountain-side town home to the Air Force Academy and Pikes Peak. We spent much of the day enjoying the scenery and the cute college-y downtown area. Made trip to the record store to pick up some essential tunes for the long drives we have ahead of us. The day was sickeningly beautiful. The sun was shining, not a cloud to be found, so naturally we tried to spend as much time as we could indoors...

100_1243.jpg
    For lunch yesterday, we picked up some vegan 'Roast Turkey' slices and made incredible sandwiches after working out. One of the most satisfying meals yet!

100_1238.jpg

We made for Boulder this morning with a quick stopover in Denver to hit up a sign-materials supplier I heard about in Colorado Springs. I was able to buy a 4' x 8' of black coroplast to make window panels meant to replace the curtains. The build went well, and if there's any interest, I can post pictures - but I could've done a much better job if not done in a Wal-Mart parking lot.

Boulder

100_1252.jpg

Marissa and I met Boulder this morning with dreadfully overcast skies and unexpected cold. Awesome. Took some pictures at a scenic overlook on 36, but for the most part today we've been trying to enjoy the city from climate-controlled WiFi hotspots. That is, we are hoping to get a better feel for the town tomorrow hoping the weather may better match the clothing we brought along. We have hats, gloves, jackets and durable shoes, but it's still unpleasant.

Haven't crossed any state lines, gotten gas, or driven any significant amount so I'll spare you the statistics.

Quote Originally Posted by no_code View Post
    The next morning we headed for Colorado, via Taos. Before Leaving, we ate at the Route 66 Diner where I had three sides of Hash Browns with onions and green chiles. Our orders at diners like these are always ridiculous.

100_1151.jpg
    Sorry, late post... but man, you just made me hungry. I've been told those chiles are awesome:

It's Law: There's No Green Chile Like A New Mexico Green Chile : NPR

Are you planning to go to Vail or somewhere in the mountains? That town is touristy as hell, but the scenery is awesome.

- 2011 Honda Odyssey EX-L w/RES (theirs)
    - My other people mover w/6MT (theirs)

Hidden Content

Steamboat Springs, CO

Quote Originally Posted by BigBoat View Post
    Are you planning to go to Vail or somewhere in the mountains? That town is touristy as hell, but the scenery is awesome.
    The green chiles were fantastic, have heat but also a distinct and enjoyable flavor.

We weren't planning on going to Vail, but after a couple of horrendously cold days in Boulder we headed over the Rockies to Steamboat Springs. A true resort town. Pretty and home to Moots titanium cycles. I took the factory tour this morning. Super awesome shop, too bad about the frames costing more than twice what I paid for my minivan.

I'm posting from my iPhone, so I'll add some pictures when we arrive at our next destination: Salt Lake City.

Miles driven: about 180
    Avg MPG: 29.2
    Bike frames salivated over: countless

You know your from Colorado when your $3000 mountain bike is on your $500 car.

Not sure if the map on the first page is still accurate, but just a suggestion... Sedona Arizona... very nice place, great scenery... enjoy your trip
    2005 Touring

Salt Lake City, UT

Quote Originally Posted by 87'moneypit View Post
    Not sure if the map on the first page is still accurate, but just a suggestion... Sedona Arizona... very nice place, great scenery... enjoy your trip
    We are actually planning on heading through to Phoenix, anyway and Sedona is on the way. The map was always meant to be a loose guideline more or less reminding us of highways and a few key destinations rather than a hard itinerary. With you recommendation, we will absolutely keep our eyes peeled passing through there! Thanks for the heads up!

Back-post of pictures of Boulder and the Rockies

100_1260.jpg
    IMG_8069.jpg
    IMG_8109.jpg
    IMG_8119.jpg
    IMG_8131.jpg
    Steamboat Springs, CO

Resort town. Caught a couple of good pictures and went out to a Japanese place in the "downtown" area. Below is an image of ol' "Honest" Abe trying to cop a feel of Marissa on a park bench. Was he made of bronze or was he just happy to see her? You're not fooling anyone with that trusting smile and those books, Lincoln.

100_1283.jpg

Utah

"That night I had a dream. I dreamt I was as light as the ether, a floating spirit visiting things to come. The shades and shadows of the people in my life rassled their way their way into my slumber. [...] And this was cloudier cause it was years, years away. But I saw an old couple being visited by their children, and all their grandchildren too. The old couple weren’t screwed up. And neither were their kids or their grandkids. And I don’t know. You tell me. This whole dream, was it wishful thinking? Was I just fleeing reality like I know I’m liable to do? [...] And it seemed real. It seemed like us and it seemed like, well, our home. If not Arizona, then a land not too far away. Where all parents are strong and wise and capable and all children are happy and beloved. I don’t know. Maybe it was Utah."

100_1288.jpg
    100_1318.jpg

We crossed the line into Utah and, again, immediately noticed a difference in the terrain. It's as if they established state lines specifically to reflect the geographical uniqueness of each region. We're staying in Salt Lake City tonight, and it's a town that a couple of counter-culture-wannabe, psuedo-self-loathing hipsters such as ourselves are sure to enjoy.

Statistics:

Miles driven: about 200 since Steamboat
    Avg. MPG: 26.7
    State lines crossed: 1
    Cans of fruit consumed: I want to say 3?
    Encounters with local police at 2:30AM: 1 because evidently a boarded up van, even in a Wal-Mart that allows overnight guests, seems suspicious.

Flagstaff, AZ

We left Salt Lake City and headed south towards Arizona. We stayed in Grand Junction, CO a couple night ago and finally made it into Arizona last night. Before we arrived, we made a stop in Arches National Park and Moab, Utah.

Moab

We took Utah SR 128 through some of the park to get into Moab. A 4x4 and mountain-biking town taken to the extreme, we happened to land there the opening day of Jeep Safari. Pretty awesome that we got to see some of the intensely capable home-builds alongside some very exotic off-road machines. Chenowoths, Unimogs, retired USMC Humvees, dual-sport bikes, completely custom-jobs, you name it. Very neat. If you're into that culture, or even if you're just a gear-head, Moab is worth the stop. Staying there was expensive though, with the event in town, so we didn't stay long. We made burritos for lunch and stopped by the Poison Spider Cycle shop then hit it for Arches.

100_1347.jpg

Arches NP

We took a lot of pictures in Arches. I won't go into it anymore but I would say that it is worth a trip, particularly if you have a 4x4 and have a long weekend to kill in the area. Notice, too, how nicely my beard is coming in...

100_1386.jpg

IMG_8209.jpg

IMG_8238.jpg

IMG_8247.jpg

IMG_8257.jpg

Not a whole lot else to tell yet. We stayed in Flagstaff last night. Today we're dedicating to a much-needed coin-op laundry and a visit to the YMCA (which are literally non-existent in Utah). We'll explore this city today and make for the Grand Canyon tomorrow morning. I can only assume I will like it here, it's so hippie-dippie I could smell the granola from Utah.

18. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast