Around the country in 8,000 miles!
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Thread: Around the country in 8,000 miles!

Around the country in 8,000 miles!

We are going around the U.S. starting in July. 31 days, 8,000 miles. Wife, 9 year old boy, 8 year old girl. I am FIRED UP!!
    2012 Odyssey Touring Elite
    2012 Acura MDX w/ Nav, NO RES

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

You will have a tremendous amount of fun. Those are one of a kind trips with lots to see. Are you camping or hoteling or staying with friends along the way? There is so much to see out there, it is hard to fit it all in.

kbh
    I did this in 2011 with my two boys (wife and daughter went to the UK). See my thread in this subforum. Get yourself a smartphone app called Roadside America. It lists all the weird sites on the road and works with the GPS locater to constantly update what is close by as you are driving. Have a great time; there is so much to see.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

That's pretty awesome!

I dream of long trips like that. Longest I had was roughly 2200 miles in Europe. But that's when I was a kid in the early 90s. From France to Romania zigging through the alps and back down by the coast. I loved it! Back then you had customs and hours of waiting, guards with machine guns, road trips in the USA are too easy. Actually I should say that because you have the idiot left lane drivers. In Europe you pass them get right back over.
    Anyways I always liked road trips, but my wife would rather drink battery acid. Oh well, when kids are older i will definitly take them!

I like reading posts like this, gives me hope and I start to daydream about me and the road

We are back! Well, we actually returned August 6th. It was a blast! 8,145 miles start to finish. Here are some stats:

Trip length: 31 days
    # of Hotels we stayed in: 27
    Average miles per gallon over the 8,145 miles: 23.4 MPG
    Top speed reached: 101 mph
    # of states visited: 21
    Most nights in one state: Tie between CA and WY - 5 nights each
    Highest speed limit seen: 75 MPH
    Worst Traffic: LA area

Report on Odyssey: Incredible road vehicle. Strong engine, easy to drive in the city and on the road. Always had confidence in it. Frustration: Brakes. The brakes were beginning to warp before we left for the trip, at 9,000 miles on the odometer. After owning a 2003 and 2004 Pilot and a 2006 Odyssey with NO warping ever, I was disappointed with the brakes. They got progressively worse to the point where I would be dreading our time in the mountains. When I came home, I brought it to the dealer and they resurfaced the rotors at no cost to me (courtesy as the warranty on the brakes ended at 12K).

Highlights: Yellowstone Park. Absolutely stunning. This coming from a "non-national park" guy. We will be going back often. Disneyland. We loved Cars Land and Lightning McQueen. Also loved San Francisco, Grand Canyon and Dallas Cowboys Stadium.
    Biggest Surprise: Badlands. All the reviews I read led me to believe this would be kind of lame. It was very cool and my children, 8 yr old girl and 9.5 yr old boy had a blast hiking.
    Mount Rushmore was beautiful but I don't need to go back there again. Glad I went, though.

We loved making the road trip. Everyone enjoyed it in their own context. For me, I really valued the 31 days of uninterrupted time with my wife and kids. I am self-employed and I know I lost business and money being gone for so long. It was worth it! If you are thinking about making a trip like this, I can recommend it completely and without reservation. It is the best thing I have ever done for and with my family!
    2012 Odyssey Touring Elite
    2012 Acura MDX w/ Nav, NO RES

whoa whoa.. start on July 31 back on AUGUST 6..??? = 31 Days ? Did you meant returned on SEPT 6...

Anyway, I bet it's one amazing trip.. LOL on the LA traffic, you probably stayed on I-5 going thru downtown LA.

You got me thinking about Disneyland now, was there few years ago, Cars ride was being build.
    Last edited by closetprisoner; 09-23-2013 at 06:51 PM.

Last summer we completed our round trip, but we beat you on mile we traced total 8756 miles, but only 15 states. I agree with you 100% the time we spent as family worth and all sites are excellent. Mount Rushmore one visiting is enough. Death valley, Grand Cannion, Yellow Stone, Yosimitty, boat ride around Alcatraz, Jackson, TN Safari are mind blowing sites.
    Whole family ready for another trip.

I did 7,950 miles in 3wks in 1998 in my 1998 Mercury Mystique. It was an awesome experience and will be doing it soon in my 2010 Odyssey. Have fun & be safe!

Those are one of the most amazing and greatest trips and there's really much to see. Are you taking a car rental or staying in the hotel or remaining with buddies along the way? There is so much to see out there, it is difficult to fit it all in.

Quote Originally Posted by closetprisoner View Post
    whoa whoa.. start on July 31 back on AUGUST 6..??? = 31 Days ? Did you meant returned on SEPT 6...
    Here's the plan: "We are going around the U.S. starting in July. 31 days, 8,000 miles."I think he said start in July.......31 days. ?

Agreed....great stuff!

OF
    2003 Ody EX-L RES 188k miles, OEM fogs & hitch, bbylon5 screen mod, ckonarske fog mod#2, cnn 82C t-stat mod, Tru-Cool Max, OT1 ATF tstat
    2002 Ody EX RES 197k, Ditto
    1998 Accord LX 238k, Haynes 676 ATF cooler
    1982 Ebbtide DynaTrak bass boat, 200hp Merc, DIY re-fit 2006-07: CMC jackplate, Teleflex Canada Steering, Torque-Shift 14-26 vari-pitch SS prop
    SNAPPER mower 5.5hp Honda

Hidden Content

13. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements