Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Anybody pull an Ody behind a Class A RV?

36K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  OEDRO Car Part 
#1 ·
We are thinking of getting a Class A RV. To go anywhere once we reach a campground, we must have a pull-along vehicle. I was wondering if anyone used their Ody for this? I know the Honda CRV is one of the few vehicles that you can successfully pull with all four wheels on the highway, I wonder about the Ody? Thanks in advance for any answers.

#2 ·
I'm no expert, but I've seen RV's towing small vehicles behind with all 4 wheels on the pavement or with the front wheels on a small trailer of sorts. If I were going to tow a vehicle I would do it with the front wheels off the pavement and on a trailer. Much less wear and tear on the drivetrain components, IMO. Is it that hard to set up a system like that?

#4 ·
I hate to disagree but during our circumnavigation of the USA (still continuing) we see many different vehicles being towed with all 4 wheels on the ground, including many that usually are 4 wheel drive such as Explorer, Jeeps etc.

Perhaps folks are ruining their vehicles and don't know any better?

#5 ·
Timming is everything

Was in Center City Philadelphia today and saw just what you asked. A 36 foot RV towing a 2000 Ody on a dolly. Both front wheels off the ground and this guy was going down one ways streets like he owned them not to mention lunch hour foot traffic as well. So to answer your question I have seen it with my own eyes. Go for it. Best of luck.

#6 ·
www.ahm-ownerlink.com
2001 Odyssey
TOWING YOUR HONDA BEHIND A MOTORHOME
Your Odyssey's Owner's Manual advises against towing at more than 35 mph or for more than 50 miles. However, this recommendation exists primarily because Honda has not conducted formal towing tests at higher speeds and for greater distances.

We are not aware of any particular problems being caused by motorhome towing of Honda automobiles with either manual or automatic transmission, so long as proper pre-towing preparations are made and the vehicle is towed at legal highway speeds.

Automatic Transmission
When preparing to tow your Odyssey, make sure the transmission fluid level is full. Do not overfill.

If a Honda automobile with an automatic transmission is to be towed with the front or all four wheels on the ground, you must do the following every day immediately before towing:

Start the engine.
Press on the brake pedal. Shift the lever through all the positions (P,R,N,D,2,1).
Shift to D, then to N. Let the engine run for at least three minutes, then turn off the engine.
Release the parking brake.
Leave the ignition switch in ACCESSORY (I) so the steering wheel does not lock. Make sure the radio and any items plugged into the accessory power sockets are turned off so you do not run down the battery.

If you travel more than 8 hours in one day (including stopping time), you must stop and repeat the above procedures.

Notice
The steering system can be damaged if the steering wheel is locked. Leave the ignition switch in the ACCESSORY (I) position, and make sure the steering wheel turns freely before you begin towing.

Improper towing preparation will damage the transmission. Follow the above procedure exactly. If you cannot shift the transmission or start the engine, your vehicle must be transported on a flatbed truck or trailer.

SEVERE AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION DAMAGE WILL OCCUR IF THE CAR IS SHIFTED FROM REVERSE TO NEUTRAL AND THEN TOWED WITH THE DRIVE WHEELS ON THE GROUND.

If you tow a Honda Odyssey with automatic transmission, the transmission fluid must be changed every two years or 30,000 miles, whichever comes first.

Note
Although experience has shown that the Honda transmission and powertrain are capable of being "motorhome towed," American Honda does not assume responsibility for any vehicle damage or liabilities incurred due to the towing device, towing vehicle, lighting hookup, or other towing equipment or towing procedures; any responsibility for these items is assumed by the owner/operator.

For more information about towing your vehicle, check your Owner's Manual or contact us.

#7 ·
Just this weekend I saw in Michigan a '03 or '04 Ody with two bolt attachments and an electrical connector in the front. I'm not an expert and I have no RV but I assume that this was either for towing or for plowing (the second one makes no sense to me with an Odyssey).
Unfortunately I have no picture... :(

#8 ·
That's funny you should ask.

On our vacation I just saw what at first glance appeared to be an Ody being towed behind an RV, but just like in the Austin Powers movies, the Ody then passed and revealed the usual small Suzuki Samurai that was being towed. I thought it was funny.

#9 ·
On a recent trip to MO I saw an Ody towed on all fours. Can't tell ya' if it's good for it.

#10 ·
Not many Class A RV's will have the GCVWR to spare to add another 2 TONS to the weight totals. Check your RV specs for GCVWR, then subtract the GVWR. The difference is how much you can tow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.