Post your long range MPG results
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Post your long range MPG results

Post your long range MPG results

If you were so inclined to keep track of fuel economy numbers while on a road trip, post them up here. Here's mine:

North of Chicago to Port St Joe, FL
    ~1,100miles each way
    2009 EXL
    100,011 miles on the clock before heading out
    4 adults and 3 kids (4 and under)
    21 cu ft roof box filled with beach stuff, Hitch mounted box (13 cu ft) and trunk filled with luggage for a week (for pics of set up see https://www.odyclub.com/forums/18-roa...oad-trips.html)
    Didn't keep track of all the fill ups but here are a few (all 87 octane except for the last one I treated the workhorse with premium):
    300 mi 14.1 gal = 21.3 mpg
    300 mi 13.3 gal = 22.5 mpg
    311 mi 14.5 gal = 21.4 mpg
    201 mi 9.9 gal = 20.3 mpg
    331 mi 16.3 gal = 20.3 mpg

Not a single hiccup the entire trip except that my lights on the hitch box wouldn't work when I first plugged them in. I would seat and reseat the connections to the trailer lights but wouldn't work until we were cruising. I'll have to look into that more.

All in , was pretty pleased with our Ody's performance. Not bad for a 3 y/o used CPO model with 60k+ miles on the clock when we purchased it. Now time for the 100k mile maintanence, oil change and probably will do brakes and maybe tires soon.
    Last edited by richrob08; 10-26-2014 at 06:47 PM.
    Richard
    2009 EX-L w/ RES, back-up camera
    Mods: iPod videos on RES, Hidden Content (click for write up), running boards, class III receiver hitch

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

The roof box must really increase the wind resistance. I took a similar trip from MSP to Tampa area back in 2009 with 140K on my '01 at the time. Averaged 26 mpg for the trip with a high tank of 28 mpg on the return through GA. Using cruise and no AC at about 70-75 on that trip. That was the best that we have gotten. Now in a different Ody and yet to take a long cruising trip like that, but will do so next spring on a drive out to Palm Springs in CA. Those long trips are fun if your passengers behave!

I keep track of my MPG on Fuelly.com. Over the last 8,227, my 2010 Odyssey LX (w/o VCM) has averaged right on Honda's EPA rating of 20.0 MPG. My best tank was a road trip from Illinois to Michigan at 24.2 MPG.

What can I say? She likes fuel!

EDIT: Why did you use premium on the last tank? I'm always baffled when people put anything but the recommended fuel in their vehicle. Just curious; whatever floats your boat!
    Hidden Content Hidden Content
    2010 Odyssey LX in Bali Blue Pearl with WeatherTech All-Season Mats (NOT FloorLiner), Trico Force wiper blades and Audiovox Pursuit Remote Start.

Modification Wish List:

HID Retrofit Kit
    Hidden Hitch Class III Round Tube Receiver Hitch
    Softride Element Parallelogram Tilting 4-Bike Rack for 2" Hitch
    Peak Rearview Mirror Backup Camera System

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by EricB91 View Post
    I'm always baffled when people put anything but the recommended fuel in their vehicle. Just curious; whatever floats your boat!
    No need to be baffled. Fuel recommendation is 87 octane or higher. Says so right in my manual.
    Richard
    2009 EX-L w/ RES, back-up camera
    Mods: iPod videos on RES, Hidden Content (click for write up), running boards, class III receiver hitch

We just took a road trip from El Paso to Metro Detroit (1800 miles each way) and on the freeways where the speed limit was 70, I would average about 23.x mpg. However, the speed limit on parts of I-10 as well as I-20 is 80, and during that portion I would only average about 20.x mpg. I typically drive a few mph above the posted limit...
    2007 Odyssey Touring = Weekend Warrior
    2006 Acura TL 6MT = Daily Driver
    2006 Nissan Altima 2.5 Special Edition = Daily Driver (Wife's)

2010 Odyssey LX (No VCM)- EPA rated 16 City/23 Highway/18 Combined
    Chicago Northwest Suburbs to Metro Detroit
    Point A to Point B is 311 miles
    Did some city driving when in Metro Detroit
    Me, my wife and 9-month old with three days worth of luggage (read: probably 150 lbs) onboard

Tank 1: 354.3 miles on 15.87 gal = 22.32 MPG (All highway)
    Tank 2: 145.7 miles on 7.60 gal = 19.16 MPG (Almost all city)
    Tank 3: 328.9 miles on 14.24 gal = 23.10 MPG (All highway)

Total Trip: 819.9 miles on 37.71 gal = 21.74 MPG

Overall, not too bad. I loved the van on the highway and I'm very pleased with my MPG. I've been tracking on Fuelly for the past 11,707 miles and have averaged 20.2 MPG (exceeding the EPA Combined). Most of my driving in this van is 5-10 MPH over posted speed limit. As an aside, this van is SOLID at 90 MPH (wife and baby at home). An excellent family vehicle!
    Last edited by EricB91; 01-21-2015 at 04:37 PM.
    2010 Odyssey LX in Bali Blue Pearl with WeatherTech All-Season Mats (NOT FloorLiner), Trico Force wiper blades and Audiovox Pursuit Remote Start.

Modification Wish List:

HID Retrofit Kit

My best mileage was on a return trip from Colorado and on our leg from Larimie,WY to Scottsbluff,NE we got 30mpg.
    This was a fully loaded van with the AC running the entire time to, our vacations in this van always get great mileage.

Been using Fuelly and the results are in there.
    2006 Honda Odyssey EX-L with RES Slate Green Metallic
    1997 Toyota Avalon XLS

Hidden Content

Took a trip for Easter weekend. 190 miles round trip in 24 hours to the in-laws' house. Trip consists of 30% 55 MPH two-lane roads and the rest is 65-70 MPH I-39 and I-88. Filled up when we left and when we got back.

On the 95-mile trip out there it was pretty windy and I had the cruise set at 75 MPH. The trip home was smooth, calm sailing with cruise set at 76 MPH. 211.7 miles total came to 22.69 MPG.

Modification Wish List:

HID Retrofit Kit

Short trip in Florida. {Orlando > Melbourne > Port St. Lucie and back}

2000 EX with 187,654 miles

262.4 miles on 11.6 gals = 21.8 mpg

* 78 mph on I-95
    * 3 adults
    * a/c
    * Florida is flat
    * no luggage

I'm happy with that. I couldn't have done that without years of support from this forum!
    Purchased new in Canada when we lived there.
    00 Honda Odyssey EX
    06 MINI Cooper S Convertible
    14 Honda Accord EX-L CVT

I track the MPG on my 07 every tank full. I use the ACAR android app which was just purchased by Fuelly. I also use a DASH with a Bluetooth ODBII module. Over the course of the last 3 months, I have been averaging 21.13 miles (I drive about 70 miles a day on my commute). My last commute to NY was yesterday. For that tank I had 22.24 MPG. Dash states I averaged 28 MPG, but I don't trust that figure...

Had my 2015 EX-L up to 28.6 going from Central Va to Cincy. Hit the hills in WV and it plummeted. Got it back to 25.6 per the on board in the 460 miles. In reality by what fuel I put in, it was actually 25.1. Middle of the night run in cooler conditions, should have made the whole trip in 1 tank with ease but it was the first real highway run so I was leery of the dash.

2003 EX-L w/ RES here, currently with nearly 205k miles.

Started a road trip yesterday, got from Houston to Bowling Green, KY so far (yes, where they make Corvettes ). Total of around 900+ miles driven so far.

The van averaged 24-25 MPG from Houston to Memphis. It was highway and interstate driving across mostly flat land.

Mileage dropped from Memphis to Nashville to 22.4 MPG. The terrain got more mountainous, there was some city driving in Nashville, and we got stuck in traffic during the torrential downpours today. :/

The old Odyssey has performed admirably so far, even at some not-so-legal speeds during the stretch from Memphis to Nashville this morning .

Will post an update in a few days.

My wife just got back from a trip to Michigan. MPG results below. She had our best tank on this trip! She did all of the driving unless noted otherwise. Happy with these numbers!

Tank 1- 243.1 miles on 9.559 gallons= 25.43 MPG which is our best tank ever! (Previous best was 24.20 MPG)
    Tank 2- 255.7 miles on 11.176 gallons= 22.88 MPG. 22 miles of this tank was local driving with me behind the wheel.

Trip total/average statistics- 498.8 miles on 20.735 gallons= 24.055 MPG. Not too shabby, considering this van is rated at 16 City/23 Hwy/18 Combined. Our lifetime average (see below for Fuelly link) went up to 20.2 MPG. I'm really pleased with that!

Note- The car now has 78,131 miles on the odometer. I took it to work today (Honda dealership) for a B1 service.
    Last edited by EricB91; 06-11-2015 at 02:20 PM.

Modification Wish List:

HID Retrofit Kit

I have an 06 EXL with 186K. I traveled on on one full tank from south Miami and made it into Georgia I had reset the trip meter to 0 when I left. I stopped in Georgia and still had a 1/4 tank left and I had put 429 miles on the trip meter. 6 hours of driving. I was by myself, my friend was in his crosstour and his car displays the MPG on the dash the average on his car was 30MPG.

txn
    2008 EX-L-RES, at 65K miles. VCMuzzler gen 1 installed.

On a 3500 mile summer trip, I consistently got between 24.2 to 24.7 mpg (highway only).
    Van fully loaded with 5 passengers and luggage;
    A/C always on with outside temps between 80 F and 95 F.
    2008 Odyssey EXL w/ RES (CPO)
    - Dec 2010: TSB 10-076 Steering Hard to Turn Quickly at Low Speed
    TSB 10-017 (Air In VSA Modulator-Control Unit Causes Low/Soft Brake Pedal)

18. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast