Big scare - stuck gas pedal
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Thread: Big scare - stuck gas pedal

Big scare - stuck gas pedal

I am exiting I26 to get on I85 Business here in Spartanburg. It is Sunday afternoon and I85 is almost empty. Merging onto the Interstate, I sort of push the gas pedal against the firewall to induce VTEC, to demonstrate to my wife (the regular driver of our Ody) what that sounds like. (I had asked her to do an "Italian tune-up" every so often and hearing VTEC kicking in would be a signal of success). As you all know, the Ody can move like a bat out of hell, when pushed hard. I take my foot off the accelerator to ease into the right lane, but the van keeps speeding up. I stand on he brake pedal and at least that slows acceleration down. I stare at the gear indicator looking for "N". Start moving the shifter; next I see is a red "R". I panic, expecting the tranny coming up through the floorboard. Nothing happens. Try for "N" again. Motor hits 8,000 RPM. This can't be good. Back into "D" and more standing on the brake. Finally, the ignition key comes to mind, and I turn the key to off and slowly move over into the breakdown lane. If I ever felt like a total idiot, this was definitively it. This must have happened over the better part of a mile, or even a bit more.
    As it turns out, the lower lip of the gas pedal nudged slightly underneath the outer edge of the newly installed Weathertech floor mat and did not come back up again.
    This really shook me up. Returning home, I immediately cut out a recess into the mat to allow proper pedal clearance. I will inspect the brakes tomorrow.
    Last edited by legend700; 11-14-2006 at 01:35 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Glad you're alright!!!

Sounds like you pulled off some pretty clear thinking during that mile 'o panic
    I always tell the truth, even when I lie...
    Hidden Content

Well done! Another min or so you would have run out of gas anyway.

we have the WT as well...I am not impressed with them at all

King of Custom Pedals
    04 Odyssey (9.67mpg mix) 27mpg Highway- Go figure GONE
    12 Quest SL
    12 Altima 3.5 SR
    91 MR2

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Re: Big scare - stuck gas pedal

Originally posted by legend700
    Motor hits 8,000 RPM.
    You might have thought that in the excitement of the moment, but it's probably limited at 6,X00RPM so you are unlikely to have done any damage. In fact since you were in neutral at the time it may even be limited to fewer RPM than that.
    2002 EX - Transmission replaced at 84,000km (52,000 miles). Sold at 104,000km.

Re: Re: Big scare - stuck gas pedal

Originally posted by Grand Total
    You might have thought that in the excitement of the moment, but it's probably limited at 6,X00RPM so you are unlikely to have done any damage. In fact since you were in neutral at the time it may even be limited to fewer RPM than that.
    Never hurt my GTO with many daily bounces off the rev limiter.........I agree..the van will be just fine.

King of Custom Pedals
    04 Odyssey (9.67mpg mix) 27mpg Highway- Go figure GONE
    12 Quest SL
    12 Altima 3.5 SR
    91 MR2

Correction - 6,000 RPM not 8,000

I stand corrected. The tach needle entered the first part of the red line which is abt. 6,000 RPM plus. 8,000 RPM is more S2000 territory, not Ody.

I am about to take a look at the brakes today. Anything I need to consider, e.g. pad thickness, condition of rotors, etc.? Off hand, nothing feels wrong with the brakes when driving, but I want to safe. We will be taking a 3,000 mile trip over the Thanksgiving Holidays.
    It so happened, that I intended changing the brake fluid anyway and the fluid should be arriving sometime today. I also bought a Brake Fluid Bleeder Kit No. 92924 from Harbor Freight. As it turns out, it requires an air compressor which I don't own yet. By looking at it, I should be able to still use it with the help of a willing family member. It has a re-fill setup which I really like that comes with adapters and one fits the Ody perfectly.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=92924
    Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

I lurked here for a while before going down the Pilot route but had to post as I drove the 960 miles to Greenville and know exactly where you are talking about. You were lucky it wasn't a typical I 85 day.

I hope you told weathertech about this problem.

Originally posted by Rockwood
    I lurked here for a while before going down the Pilot route but had to post as I drove the 960 miles to Greenville and know exactly where you are talking about. You were lucky it wasn't a typical I 85 day.

I hope you told weathertech about this problem.
    We will be heading North for about 960 miles this coming Sunday. I wrote Weathertech this morning. They actually have a disclaimer in their installation instructions which I overlooked, because I specifically had ordered front mats for a 2002 Odyssey and did not expect having to to cut the mats to make them fit safely.

2000 EX. 208k km, original tranny.
    2011 Corolla LE.

I realize this thread is ancient, but wanted to tell everyone that it was very helpful. My wife had the stuck accelerator today with the Cannon/Weathertech floor mats today and it gave her quite a scare, especially since our ten year old son was also in the vehicle at the time. She had it floored to pass a slow moving vehicle on a two lane highway when the issue occurred. I couldn't figure out what was going on because with the van off and in the garage, if I pushed the pedal all the way down, it had plenty of clearance between the pedal and the floor mat. However, on further inspection, I noticed that if you pushed down on the mat approximately where your heal would be, it pushed the mat down into a depression in the floorboard and caused the front lip of the mat to raise up. When the lip of the mat was raised up, it would catch the accelerator pedal and cause it to stick. To remedy the issue we cut a big piece out of the front lip of the mat and then verified it had proper clearance even when pushing the mat down into the depression in the floorboard. We've had these mats over ten years and this is the first time this has happened to us. If you have Cannon or WeatherTech mats, either remove them or make a large cut out for the gas pedal right away!

15. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements