My 05 Odyssey gives 12 MPG City...Any help? - Page 2
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My 05 Odyssey gives 12 MPG City...Any help?

txn
    I just took a 3200 mile trip, 90% highway, 6 passengers, the rear cargo space stacked up to the headrests with luggage, AC on 100%, cruise control used when conditions allowed. Speed was between 70 and 75 mph.
    Roads were mostly flat but there were a lot of places that required the transmission to get out of overdrive to maintain the 70 mph speed.

The best mpg for the trip was 25, worst was 24.
    This is in line with the EPA figures of 17/25/20 (city/highway/combined).

I am happy with the mpg from this 2008 Ody.
    Last edited by txn; 06-13-2011 at 04:43 PM.
    2008 Odyssey EXL w/ RES (CPO)
    - Dec 2010: TSB 10-076 Steering Hard to Turn Quickly at Low Speed
    TSB 10-017 (Air In VSA Modulator-Control Unit Causes Low/Soft Brake Pedal)

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Gotta say I'm in the "happy with my mileage" fan club as well. We had an '01 that I liked a lot, but the mileage was never very impressive. The 4-speed transmission had to be part of it. No idea if they offered ECO mode on those cars, but this was not an EX-L, so even if they had that, ours didn't have it available.

We're now driving a 2006 Touring model. Was seeing about 17 mpg with mostly driving city. Drove it about 4 hours today on the freeway. I got 27 mpg. The 5-speed and the ECO mode on this thing must be the ticket. On the '01, I rarely saw over 17 on the FREEWAY.

I wonder what most others are getting on a Gen 3 car, both with and without the shut-of feature for extra cylinders. Is there a post somewhere with a number of answers?

Excellent tips and input on improving MPG by driving habits. However, I pretty much drive that way with the price of gas as it is ($3.84/gal). I was driving a 1998 Lincoln Town Car. Recently purchased a 2006 Honda Odyssey in large part because of the iVTEC engine that converts to 3 cylinders during cruising, that had the rated 20/28 mpg. The 8 cylinder LINCOLN got better gas mileage!! -- 16/25. The Odyssey = 15/23.

I figure an engine that runs on 3 cylinders HALF of the time SHOULD do better than one running on 8 cylinders at all times (under same driving habits). There's got to be a malfunction in the engine in my Odyssey, but have yet to learn what it might be. Runs nice and smooth. It's a great vehicle, but am VERY disappointed in the MPG.
    ArtChee
    Sarasota FL
    2006 Odyssey Touring

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Thanks, TOM. These are all very good pointers for getting improved gas mileage. HOWEVER... We (wife & I) just purchased a 2006 Odyssey with the iVTEC engine rated at 20/28 mpg - BIG factor in selecting this model. We then drove both the Ody and our old car - '98 Lincoln Town Car - 615 miles, mostly Interstate, back home. The Ody, with iVTEC technolgy running on 3 cylinders much of the time, got 23 mpg, while the Lincoln V8, running all 8 cylinders, got over 25 mpg.

Around town I drive the Ody JUST THE SAME as I drove the Lincoln. The Lincoln got 16 to 17 around town; the Ody gets 14 to 15 while running on 3 cylinders HALF of the time.

There's something WRONG with the Ody engine, as it makes NO SENSE that the 1998 8 cylinder technology should do better than the 2006 iVTEC VCM technology.
    ArtChee
    Sarasota FL
    2006 Odyssey Touring

My wife is avg 20 in all intown use. she rarely goes on the highway.08 EX
    we will do a trip may be monday...so check it.
    2008 Ody -w/58k - Purchased 2012 -Family scoot
    2007 Camry - Ride to work in winter
    2005 Yahama Fz1 - Fun - Track / Touring speed fix

Mods
    RES DIY
    Hidden Content

Ody is a big heavy box=bad MPG, if one wants good MPG should buy Prius 5 @ 50 miles/gallon.

Quote Originally Posted by cebu 888 View Post
    Ody is a big heavy box=bad MPG, if one wants good MPG should buy Prius 5 @ 50 miles/gallon.
    That is exactly what my wife did when we had a 04 Nissan Quest van until a year ago-she bought a 1st Gen (2001) Insight off of e-Bay Motors from a guy in CO. I personally hated the d*** thing but she loved it until she wrecked it earlier this year. The 2nd Gen Insight is no prize either-you'd be better off getting a Fit (which it is based on anyway) or,if you must have a hybrid-a Prius. Toyota has much better hybrid technology than Honda does IMO. BTW my wife thinks that the Quest got better mileage than our 08 Ody (EX, so no VCM) does around town.
    Last edited by GeoOdyZantac; 05-24-2012 at 12:04 PM.
    08 EX Slate Green Metallic w/ Olive Interior
    09 Civic LX (wish it was an Si)
    09 Fit Sport-My Daily Driver
    07 Accord SE V6 AT MY car, I love it!
    02 Insight CVT (!!!) Wife flew to MS to get it from dealer. Don't ask me why. NO logical explanation.
    01 Insight CVT (RIP) Wife had MVC,totaled it. She is no longer in mourning

Quote Originally Posted by samuelsx View Post
    Bought an used 2007 odyssey touring a month ago and been crying over spilled milk since.

You guys on the forum have been great and have gained a lot surfing through. So putting in my cents

Terrible mileage, same as my 4.7 V8.
    Oil change done at dealer in May. I changed out the air filter after I bought for the heck of it.
    Tire pressure 38psi.
    Looked at the MAF as an internal indicator and its pristine, still sprayed some MAF cleaner and put it back.
    Two tanks with techron injector cleaner.

Hwy or city its 15 to 16mpg on the multi readout.

Been calling dealer and been hearing "its normal".

Recently I noticed something and verified it last night with a long drive.

I count the shifts and the instant mpg readout gives 25 to even 30 on 4th cruising 45 to 50 with ECO on. I feel the shift to 5th (OD) and the ECO still on the mpg drops to 12 with no change in gas pedal or speed or gradient.

to check I flipped D3 on (cancel OD) still level road and as I would expect the engine rev'ed then I swithched of D3 mpg back to 25 before OD kicked in and then mpg down to 12.

sorry for the writeup and thanks for reading.
    Has anyone else seen/diag'ed this.

(Shouting and jumping...) Yes, yes, yes and yes

I'm getting SO tired of reading these posts saying "It's a heavy vehicle", "You need to change your driving style" or "It must be the gas you are using".

I have a 2009 Civic Hybrid and I can shatter the EPA (when the hybrid battery is working properly, that is - it only manages to last about 40K miles), so I am fully aware of how to optimize my driving style and utilize a real-time MPG gauge.

I get a behavior almost identical to yours. In fact, I have experimented with keeping the throttle input almost constant @ 70 MPH and only adjusting slightly when the gauge begins its drop to 12 MPG. In my case, the maximum I can get is around 40 MPG before I can feel a change (with NO throttle change, BTW) in the engine and the mileage drops. At that point, I can INCREASE throttle input to bring it back up to reasonable territory. This is very tedious, but after doing so in a decent stretch on the highway, I did manage to achieve what I would consider acceptable mileage numbers.

I suspect either the VCM or the grade logic control (or both) is entering a mode of exceptional inefficiency (like VCM engaged but still dumping fuel into all cylinders). Now if only I could find a way to turn either or both of of those features off?

I have also considered partially blocking my air intake just to force the throttle map into a different region, but I suspect that once the engine reaches operating temperature, that the behavior is controlled by the MAF and not the throttle position.

Unfortunately, the Journey is different. You have to put in some significant attempt to be able to see developments.

12. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12