My 05 Odyssey gives 12 MPG City...Any help?
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My 05 Odyssey gives 12 MPG City...Any help?

My 05 Odyssey gives 12 MPG City...Any help?

I just bought a 05 Odyssey Touring on 30 Dec 2009. Noticed that I am getting 24 MPG on Highway and 12 to 13 MPG in City. What is wrong with it in city driving? I keep my tire pressure at 38 PSI.

Guys, any tips for me? Will the Honda dealer make any tune-ups for this issue?
    Any help is greatly appreciated.
    2005 Honda Odyssey Touring
    2002 Honda Civix LX

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

That's how they are. My 03 does terrible around town, but great on the highway. Big heavy box. Bad MPG.
    Formerly Jbrain
    2003 ODY EX-L RES
    2002 Ody EX-L (Totalled 2/03 rollover)
    2004 CR-V 4X4
    1990 Acura Integra

Read my sig...........Get used to it, it's not going to change......trust me.

These hinks of **** hate the city..................

King of Custom Pedals
    04 Odyssey (9.67mpg mix) 27mpg Highway- Go figure GONE
    12 Quest SL
    12 Altima 3.5 SR
    91 MR2

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Hello Mail9139,

Trying to get an improvement in city mileage in an Odyssey is a daunting task. However, if you are willing to alter your driving style a little, some improvements can be made.

With most cars you can simply back off a little on the gas and see some improvements. Unfortunately, the Odyssey is different. You have to put in some major effort in order to see improvements.

It seems that the Odyssey engine is designed for long trips. It takes a long time to get the engine totally warmed up, and the aluminum block quickly cools down. It takes 20 - 30 miles of constant driving to get things warmed up. If your trips are 10 miles, or less, you are running "cold" most of the time.

A "cold" engine uses more fuel.

The most practical solution to this is to combine trips rather than taking lots of short trips. A block heater can cut down the initial warm up period, but you have to remember to plug it in at night, and have access to a plug in. It is also possible that a hotter thermostat would help, but I don't know that for sure.

The next thing you can take a look at is the amount of time you spend stopped. When your engine is running and you are not moving, you are getting 0 miles per gallon. I believe these engines burn around 0.5 gallons per hour at idle, so if you take a stopwatch and click it on whenever you are stopped and stop it when you start moving, you can get an idea of how many gallons you use while stopped.

I run tests on this using my GPS. It provides statistics that seem reasonable accurate. One test involved driving 241 miles in the city. The total time the van was moving was 8 hours 55 minutes. The total time the van was stopped was 4 hours and 0 minutes. This gives me a total time of 12 hours 55 minutes, out of which I spent over a third of my time at idle.

I used about 15.5 gallons of gas during this test, giving me about 15.5 mpg. If we consider the 4 hours at idle and use 0.5 gallons per hour the van used during that period, I end up with 2 gallons of fuel used at idle. If I had shut the van off during those 4 hours, I would have saved 2 gallons of gas, and my mileage would have been closer to 17.9 mpg.

While the idea of a 15% improvement in fuel economy is attractive, in actual driving conditions it is not practical to shut off your engine every time you stop. However, if given the choice of waiting for someone with the engine at idle, you will save some fuel by shutting it off.

The next best thing to do is to try to anticipate traffic and traffic lights, and keep the van in motion. Every time you hit the brakes, you waste fuel. In an ideal world you would accelerate just enough to be able to coast to a stop at your destination. Well, we don't live in an ideal world, so this doesn't totally work either. However, you can try to eliminate the use of brakes as much as possible, while still maintaining a safe driving style.

For example, we have a street that has a stop light at every block. In the morning, the lights are set up so you have to stop at every block. In the evening, the lights are in a sequence so you can hit a green light at every block just by adjusting your speed. In the morning I go a different route, and avoid sitting stopped at all the lights. In the evening I go my normal route.

The next consideration is to use cruse control. On roads where the speed limit is 35 or above, and you have some distance between stop lights, bring the van up to speed and set the cruse control. I have noticed an improvement through the "judicious" use of the cruse control.

However, keep an eye on the traffic and lights ahead and shut it off early in an effort to coast to a stop. This is a "learned" skill and will take some practice to perfect.

Another suggestion is to invest in the ScanGauge II. This plugs into your OBD II port and allows you to monitor the engine in real time. This is not a good thing to do if you are easily distracted because while you are watching the ScanGauge, you are not watching traffic and that can be dangerous.

One of the features of the ScanGauge II is that it can display gauges that can help with fuel economy. One gauge is instantaneous MPG, and another is trip MPG. The trip MPG is automatically reset after the engine is off for 4 - 5 minutes, so you can shut down at a stop light without resetting that gague.

The "game" is to try to drive in a style that keeps instantaneous MPG higher than trip MPG as much as possible, and secondly to keep instantaneous MPG above 0 MPG as much as possible.

Watching the ScanGauge is probably the best way to monitor your various trips in an effort to find the best way through town. We have a restaurant that we like to go to for breakfast. It is about 8 blocks away, and when it is blustery outside, we drive. During the trip there, I am lucky to get 6 MPG. On the trip back, the van is somewhat warmed up, I get about 10 MPG. If all of my trips were like this, I would be asking Wild Willy how he got such good mileage in town...

To review:

1. Minimize short trips as much as possible.
    2. Minimize idle time.
    3. Anticipate traffic and traffic lights and minimize brake use as much as is safely possible.
    4. Learn how to use the cruse control often.
    5. Tools and modifications that can help include a block heater, the ScanGauge II tool, and possibly a hotter thermostat.

Good luck.

Tom

Don't overlook:
    it's winter, very cold and inefficient
    fuel blends differ
    accessory loads generally run much greater
    you could see 17 or more in summer
    we're just under 19 historically for 10000 miles since June, but now it's winter and averages about town fell some. Plus our Touring also have the helpful updated variable cylinder option that base models lack.

Super Moderator
    Originally posted by SilverFoxCPF
    Hello Mail9139,

Trying to get an improvement in city mileage in an Odyssey is a daunting task. However, if you are willing to alter your driving style a little, some improvements can be made.

With most cars you can simply back off a little on the gas and see some improvements. Unfortunately, the Odyssey is different. You have to put in some major effort in order to see improvements.

It seems that the Odyssey engine is designed for long trips. It takes a long time to get the engine totally warmed up, and the aluminum block quickly cools down. It takes 20 - 30 miles of constant driving to get things warmed up. If your trips are 10 miles, or less, you are running "cold" most of the time.

A "cold" engine uses more fuel.

The most practical solution to this is to combine trips rather than taking lots of short trips. A block heater can cut down the initial warm up period, but you have to remember to plug it in at night, and have access to a plug in. It is also possible that a hotter thermostat would help, but I don't know that for sure.

The next thing you can take a look at is the amount of time you spend stopped. When your engine is running and you are not moving, you are getting 0 miles per gallon. I believe these engines burn around 0.5 gallons per hour at idle, so if you take a stopwatch and click it on whenever you are stopped and stop it when you start moving, you can get an idea of how many gallons you use while stopped.

I run tests on this using my GPS. It provides statistics that seem reasonable accurate. One test involved driving 241 miles in the city. The total time the van was moving was 8 hours 55 minutes. The total time the van was stopped was 4 hours and 0 minutes. This gives me a total time of 12 hours 55 minutes, out of which I spent over a third of my time at idle.

I used about 15.5 gallons of gas during this test, giving me about 15.5 mpg. If we consider the 4 hours at idle and use 0.5 gallons per hour the van used during that period, I end up with 2 gallons of fuel used at idle. If I had shut the van off during those 4 hours, I would have saved 2 gallons of gas, and my mileage would have been closer to 17.9 mpg.

While the idea of a 15% improvement in fuel economy is attractive, in actual driving conditions it is not practical to shut off your engine every time you stop. However, if given the choice of waiting for someone with the engine at idle, you will save some fuel by shutting it off.

The next best thing to do is to try to anticipate traffic and traffic lights, and keep the van in motion. Every time you hit the brakes, you waste fuel. In an ideal world you would accelerate just enough to be able to coast to a stop at your destination. Well, we don't live in an ideal world, so this doesn't totally work either. However, you can try to eliminate the use of brakes as much as possible, while still maintaining a safe driving style.

For example, we have a street that has a stop light at every block. In the morning, the lights are set up so you have to stop at every block. In the evening, the lights are in a sequence so you can hit a green light at every block just by adjusting your speed. In the morning I go a different route, and avoid sitting stopped at all the lights. In the evening I go my normal route.

The next consideration is to use cruse control. On roads where the speed limit is 35 or above, and you have some distance between stop lights, bring the van up to speed and set the cruse control. I have noticed an improvement through the "judicious" use of the cruse control.

However, keep an eye on the traffic and lights ahead and shut it off early in an effort to coast to a stop. This is a "learned" skill and will take some practice to perfect.

Another suggestion is to invest in the ScanGauge II. This plugs into your OBD II port and allows you to monitor the engine in real time. This is not a good thing to do if you are easily distracted because while you are watching the ScanGauge, you are not watching traffic and that can be dangerous.

One of the features of the ScanGauge II is that it can display gauges that can help with fuel economy. One gauge is instantaneous MPG, and another is trip MPG. The trip MPG is automatically reset after the engine is off for 4 - 5 minutes, so you can shut down at a stop light without resetting that gague.

The "game" is to try to drive in a style that keeps instantaneous MPG higher than trip MPG as much as possible, and secondly to keep instantaneous MPG above 0 MPG as much as possible.

Watching the ScanGauge is probably the best way to monitor your various trips in an effort to find the best way through town. We have a restaurant that we like to go to for breakfast. It is about 8 blocks away, and when it is blustery outside, we drive. During the trip there, I am lucky to get 6 MPG. On the trip back, the van is somewhat warmed up, I get about 10 MPG. If all of my trips were like this, I would be asking Wild Willy how he got such good mileage in town...

To review:

1. Minimize short trips as much as possible.
    2. Minimize idle time.
    3. Anticipate traffic and traffic lights and minimize brake use as much as is safely possible.
    4. Learn how to use the cruse control often.
    5. Tools and modifications that can help include a block heater, the ScanGauge II tool, and possibly a hotter thermostat.

Good luck.

Tom
    Excellent, comprehensive post Tom!!!

Originally posted by chiody
    Excellent, comprehensive post Tom!!!
    Indeed, however, I find it absurd that no other car I owned required such extensive instructions to get epa or better in town.........

NONE

King of Custom Pedals
    12 Quest SL
    12 Altima 3.5 SR
    91 MR2

Thanks a lot all of you. I will keep that in mind
    2005 Honda Odyssey Touring
    2002 Honda Civix LX

Great write up Tom !!

One item to add --- when the RPM is above (about 1600 i think) and you remove your foot from the petal, instead of idle, the engine shuts off gas flow completly. (until it drops below that specific RPM) If you watch the RPM carefully, you can see it kick in again, a slight bump in RPM)
    The point ? whenever possible, go full gas off when slowing down.

I also agree with Wild Willy, you shouldn't have to go to such drastic measures to achive some gas mileage. Next time I won't buy such a heavy beast.
    2005 Ody EX-L Ocean Mist, TruCool LPD-4454
    1991 Honda Civic Wagon

I used to get 9 to 12mpg and I was babying it all the time like listed above.

Then I fixed a bunch of stuff but I think the things anyone could do to make the greatest impact are replacing your O2 sensor with a GOOD one from Bosch and upgrading your thermostat to an 82 degree C thermostat.

Since I fixed my gas mileage problem I don't drive easy or do ANY of the tips given anymore. That's just asking for early heart failure!
    My Ody gets 14MPG city no matter when or how I drive it. I've gotten as much as 16mpg city in the summer cuz the winter mix gas screws everything up.

If you really want to get your Ody to run right you need to do what Wild Willy really needs to do to his Ody and pull the Air Intake Plenum and square the mating surface so the gasket seals correctly and seal with gasket sealer every orifice attachment on the plenum. The Ody develops little vacuum leaks in several places. Once you fix those you'll have much more consistent performance and better mpg.

Oh yeah, I took a trip last summer with 3 kids and a full load of crap and drove 70+mph with no cruise control on varying terrain and got 26mpg on a 2k Ody with 85k+ miles on it.

I will say that I frequently put Seafoam in my gas mixed with about 6 ounces of marvel mystery oil.
    2000 Odyssey LX - Sold it a 91,900 miles with Gator A/T and last tank got 15 mpg city due to 82C thermostat and Bosch O2 Sensor. I'm NOT gonna miss that truck-riding pig ass design flawed shoe box on wheels. Hidden Content

Overdrive mileage

Bought an used 2007 odyssey touring a month ago and been crying over spilled milk since.

You guys on the forum have been great and have gained a lot surfing through. So putting in my cents

Terrible mileage, same as my 4.7 V8.
    Oil change done at dealer in May. I changed out the air filter after I bought for the heck of it.
    Tire pressure 38psi.
    Looked at the MAF as an internal indicator and its pristine, still sprayed some MAF cleaner and put it back.
    Two tanks with techron injector cleaner.

Hwy or city its 15 to 16mpg on the multi readout.

Been calling dealer and been hearing "its normal".

Recently I noticed something and verified it last night with a long drive.

I count the shifts and the instant mpg readout gives 25 to even 30 on 4th cruising 45 to 50 with ECO on. I feel the shift to 5th (OD) and the ECO still on the mpg drops to 12 with no change in gas pedal or speed or gradient.

to check I flipped D3 on (cancel OD) still level road and as I would expect the engine rev'ed then I swithched of D3 mpg back to 25 before OD kicked in and then mpg down to 12.

sorry for the writeup and thanks for reading.
    Has anyone else seen/diag'ed this.

Every manufacturer I've worked for, people complain of city driving MPG. Gee, you're not going anywhere fast, you're constantly stopping and starting. A/C is overtaxed. Hmmm, wonder why I'm not getting 24 mpg?

Quote Originally Posted by texnnc View Post
    Every manufacturer I've worked for, people complain of city driving MPG. Gee, you're not going anywhere fast, you're constantly stopping and starting. A/C is overtaxed. Hmmm, wonder why I'm not getting 24 mpg?

I'm 45 yrs old. This is the ONLY vehicle I have ever owned to not get epa or better/ City & Highway.

King of Custom Pedals
    12 Quest SL
    12 Altima 3.5 SR
    91 MR2

I have a 2010 and the only way I could get it to 20MPG is if I was falling down a hill and I am king at getting good gas mileage. Maybe 16MPG. Maybe.

Boy, there must be something in the gas ‘cos all this people of different ages are getting crappy city mileage too.

Why is my gas mileage so bad? [Archive] - Dodge Charger Forums
    Why is my mpg so bad? - LS1TECH
    '06 TL poor mpg - AcuraZine Community
    Why does my gas mileage suck so bad?

There's a few thousand more links if you search for "Why is my city mpg so bad."

18. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast