Short cut repair method: EGR Valve Port (Carbon Problem) Repair Code P0401 - Page 7
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Short cut repair method: EGR Valve Port (Carbon Problem) Repair Code P0401

Never mind; the EGR light came back :-(

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

I don't have a code reader, what's everyone using to read these codes
    2000 Odyssey EX

Many just get it read for free at AutoZone, etc.
    I use Ultra-gauge and many use ScanGuage for real time monitoring and use.
    Others use apps on their Smartphones, etc. Very low cost.
    Buffalo4
    2003 EX-L
    190k miles orig tranny Sept 2018

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Anyone have success with running a snake though? If you have what did you use for a snake ? Did you use a drill on the end of the snake?

God Speed, Fred

Quote Originally Posted by fc227a View Post
    Anyone have success with running a snake though? If you have what did you use for a snake ? Did you use a drill on the end of the snake?
    Fred, what model year Odyssey?

This thread started with the 1999-2001 Odysseys, which have a different EGR passage setup when compared to later Gen 2 Odysseys (2002-2004). surgeon's post (#15 in this thread) has excellent pics of his efforts on his 2001.

I follow a tip from the guys on some of the Chevy forums; after removing any pooled oil in the plenum, they'll disassemble as much of the intake manifold after removal from the vehicle, and give it a light pressure washing to dislodge most every piece of stubborn solidified sludge as possible. The need to perform EGR cleaning is not unique to Honda.

OF

For the manifold, you just clean out all the carbon in that part. I used a small brush - like a test tube brush to clean the passageway between the manifold and the EGR itself (with the EGR removed). Carb cleaner, brush out, and then spray and blow out. Works well. Main thing is that with the 99-01s, you just have to go in and clean once and a while(50K+ or so). Not much else you can do about it, but it is pretty easy to do.

Quote Originally Posted by cahaak View Post
    Main thing is that with the 99-01s, you just have to go in and clean once and a while(50K+ or so). Not much else you can do about it, but it is pretty easy to do.
    You are sooooooo right, sir. The 02-04's need removal and disassembly of the plenum to get this job done.

OF

Quote Originally Posted by 0dyfamily View Post
    The 02-04's need removal and disassembly of the plenum to get this job done.
    OF, I think you meant the 99-01's? The 02-04's have much bigger passages between the EGR and the plenum.

Dave
    2002 Odyssey EX Fern (Granite) Green
    Honda hood protector, stainless steel flex brake lines, Honda block heater, AC condenser screen, Zymol wax
    151,000 miles/243,000 kilometres; original transmission; Amsoil MV ATF since 79,000 miles/127,000 kilometres; Magnefine aux ATF filter; Honda aux ATF cooler; 19 drain and fills

They're sizeable...but they finish in itty-bitty holes that lead to the individual intake runners. The entire passages eventually get completely clogged, maybe because of this? I don't know, but my EGR cleanings have resulted in multiple heaping tablespoonfuls of hard sludge being scraped and augered out of those passages. Ergo, I'll use a pressure washer next time, then finish with something like CRC Clean-R-Carb or Gumout or WalMart's house brand carb cleaner.

I wish it was just one major port I could "roto rooter" into cleanliness.

OF

12. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567