2004 Pilot & Odyssey Transmission Recall
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2004 Pilot & Odyssey Transmission Recall

Exclamation 2004 Pilot & Odyssey Transmission Recall

I checked the Honda Ownerlink and there is new recall posted for Pilot & Odyssey Transmission.

April 26, 2004

Recall Campaign: Automatic Transmission Second Gear Inspection

Dear Honda Owner:

Your vehicle is affected by the automatic transmission recall that was recently announced.

What is the problem?
    Certain operating conditions can result in heat build-up between the second gears of the transmission's countershaft and secondary shaft. Prolonged operation under these conditions can eventually result in a decrease in the gear's material strength. In higher mileage vehicles, this may lead to chipped or broken gear teeth or, in rare instances, gear failure.

What are "certain operating conditions"?
    Extended cruising in top gear with a high engine load but small throttle opening can result in limited oil flow to second gear, causing localized heat build-up. These conditions should be rare. Examples may include extended towing in top gear on a very flat road with a throttle opening of 1/4 or less; or frequent driving up a road with a very consistent slope of approximately 3.5~6%, again maintaining a throttle opening around 1/4 or less.

Under most circumstances, small road undulations or throttle corrections cause the vehicle to go in and out of torque converter lock-up, varying engine rpm, and therefore increasing oil flow to the gears. Increased oil flow dissipates heat and prevents second gear damage.

What should I do now? Can I continue to drive?
    Occurrences of lock-up due to gear breakage are very rare, especially at low mileage. There are no confirmed failures in U.S. vehicles with mileage less than 60,000 miles. Honda will notify customers to visit their dealership according to vehicle age, allowing us to efficiently schedule parts and repairs. Please contact your dealer when you receive your notice, or sooner if you notice any abnormal noises from your transmission.

How and when will Honda begin to notify owners?
    Mailings are scheduled to begin in early May and will continue until September or until all customers have been notified. We recommend that customers wait until they are notified before trying to schedule an appointment. This will allow us to carry out the most efficient, effective and timely campaign.

What is the dealer looking for when inspecting the transmission?
    Vehicles with less than 15,000 miles - The technician will update the transmission with a simple modification to the oil cooler return line to increase lubrication to second gear.

Vehicles with more than 15,000 miles - The technician will inspect the second gear for discoloration of the gear due to heat damage. If there is any evidence of heat damage, the transmission will be replaced. If discoloration is not present, the dealer will perform the modification to the oil cooler return line.

What is this "simple modification to the oil cooler return line"?
    It is a relatively simple repair involving the installation of an "oil jet kit" that is mounted on the top of the transmission. The modification works by taking a portion of the transmission fluid that is flowing back from the cooling system and spraying that fluid directly onto the affected gear, eliminating the potential for heat damage.

How can I be sure I won't have problems with this repair in later years, after the warranty period has expired?
    For vehicles affected by this campaign, installation of the oil kit provides a permanent repair.

Should my vehicle be towed to the dealership?
    If you experience transmission noise or transmission lock-up, the vehicle should be towed to the dealership. If not, it can be driven to the dealership when the appointment is scheduled.

Is there a way for me or my independent repair facility to diagnose this problem?
    No, your vehicle must be taken to an authorized Honda dealership for a thorough inspection and accurate repair.

Why is the dealer repair different from the manufacturing repair?
    The manufacturing change was relatively easy to accomplish during transmission production, but to apply the same repair at the dealership would require transmission removal and disassembly. Installation of the oil kit is a permanent repair that is easily accomplished at the dealership.

==

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

My '04 is included. I guess I have an early production '04. I'm not surprised since I got it in November.
    Last edited by doopstr; 04-29-2004 at 11:36 AM.
    04 Silver Ody EX-L NAV
    Leather wrapped wheel.

how can I tell if my car is ok

I'm going today to buy an 04 ody. Is there any way to tell if the tranny was fixed at time of manufacture or at the dealer? I just don't trust simply asking my salesman.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Can you get the vin for the new vehicle and check against the vin range listed?
    '10 Silver EXL - R&N
    '02 Subaru WRX Wagon WRB
    '01 GG LX - Traded with bad tranny

I bought mine 3 weeks back and it's affected.
    if you have the vin number, you can go to honda owner link and check if yours is affected.
    https://www.ahm-ownerlink.com

I went to the OwnerLink site, and didn't see a VIN # search. On the left side, it says:

"Hello, Barron Fujimoto.

Click here for information about the Light Truck Transmission recall."

But that just takes me to an "FAQ" shown in the first post above.

When I click on Recalls on the right side, it says:

"There are no current safety recalls for your 2004 Honda Odyssey."

I bought our Odyssey in March, I wonder if it not affected? Am I looking in the wrong spot on the OwnerLink site? I did put my VIN in originally, in case you are wondering.

Barron
    Barron
    <font size="1">'04 Honda Odyssey EX Starlight Silver
    '99 Nissan Sentra GXE-LE
    '80 Honda C70 Passport</font>

I login to owner link,
    click on Recalls,
    and get :
    Your 2004 Honda is included in the PILOT & ODYSSEY Transmission Recall Campaign.
    It's either your car not affected or your ownerlink info is not updated yet.
    I called the dealer, they are still waiting for the parts.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Oh man..!!! Is this a bad news for us huh..??? I bought mine last Jan. '04... '04 EX-L Sandstone. Anyway, I'm still waiting for the letter from Honda... I hope I get it early.
    Jojo
    '04 EX-L
    Kenwood KVT-911DVD;
    KDS-900 Processor
    Boston Accoustics SL60 (2);
    GS1000 (1); GT-50 amps (1)
    Kenwood DSP (1);
    10.4" Addvision LCD Monitor
    TSW 17" - Nitto NT450 225/50/17

After lurking around here a few days and getting loads of ammunition to support a warranty claim to get my '02 clock light repaired, I called my dealer -again- and got the OK on the clock!!! Thanks to all the wonderful background for solving this problem!
    AND, then Dean the Honda guy said he pulled up the Transmission Recall while we talked and due to mileage 46K, he needed to do surgery on my Odyssey in order to check it out. He said they would do all this tomorrow so I should know something by tomorrow evening. At least I should be able to see my CLOCK by tomorrow evening!
    Thanks again to all of you.
    KT

Re: Not Me!

Originally posted by FondOfHonda

\

I can tell you right now. Many techs are going to screw that install up.
    I got to agree with that

King of Custom Pedals
    04 Odyssey (9.67mpg mix) 27mpg Highway- Go figure GONE
    12 Quest SL
    12 Altima 3.5 SR
    91 MR2

You mean that eventhough their certified honda technicians, still they're screw things up...???
    Jojo
    '04 EX-L
    Kenwood KVT-911DVD;
    KDS-900 Processor
    Boston Accoustics SL60 (2);
    GS1000 (1); GT-50 amps (1)
    Kenwood DSP (1);
    10.4" Addvision LCD Monitor
    TSW 17" - Nitto NT450 225/50/17

Originally posted by dfantom
    You mean that eventhough their certified honda technicians, still they're screw things up...???
    Even better, they're CERTIFIED to screw things up, how's that

As much as I complain about Honda techs, I don't think they'll screw this install up, even on the first try. All the parts are made available in a kit, and the instructions provided give a step-by-step installation procedure. It's a parts swap, and they're good at that.
    Accordian
    2003 SS LX

According to the TSB:

Vehicles Affected

2002-03 Odyssey: All
    2004 Odyssey:
    From VIN 5FNRL18..4B000001 thru 5FNRL18..4B051620

Hmmm, I miss it by 25, mine ends in 1645.

I wonder if I can get something done because I am so close to the cut off or should I not worry.
    Last edited by dadwith2boyz; 05-06-2004 at 03:25 AM.
    Dad with 2 boys
    2004 Odyssey EXL - Navi
    DVD I-VES
    Leather Heated Seats
    Tow Package
    Optional Storage Armrest

Mel
    Originally posted by dadwith2boyz
    I wonder if I can get something done because I am so close to the cut off or should I not worry. [/B]
    I wouldn't worry if I were you.

As I understand it Honda took two alternative routes to address this problem. First, they made a relatively simple change in the transmission's design and incorporated this in newly built transmissions. This redesign was not practical as a retrofit for existing transmissions in the field. Therefore, the second route involved the added, external plumbing and oil jet.

Just my 2¢ worth,
    Mel

18. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast