HELP- both turn signal lights come on when signal either left or right- 2000 ody
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Thread: HELP- both turn signal lights come on when signal either left or right- 2000 ody

HELP- both turn signal lights come on when signal either left or right- 2000 ody

When I try to signal either a left or a right turn, both the lights come on together (like hazards instead of turn signals)
    Both left and right green lights on the dash flash as well as the actual signal lights outside.

Any help appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Forgot to mention- they flash at the normal speed.
    Thanks

A short in the trailer lighting harness will cause both signals to flash.

To test, try this:

- Go to the driver's side underdash fuse panel
    - Locate connector A (10 pins, blue, beside fuses 6, 7, and 8
    - Disconnect connector A
    - Try the signals (Note, the left rear signal light will not light with connector A disconnected)
    - If the lights flash normally, the problem is very likely the trailer lighting harness

HTH
    2002 Odyssey EX Fern (Granite) Green
    Honda hood protector, stainless steel flex brake lines, Honda block heater, AC condenser screen, Zymol wax
    151,000 miles/243,000 kilometres; original transmission; Amsoil MV ATF since 79,000 miles/127,000 kilometres; Magnefine aux ATF filter; Honda aux ATF cooler; 19 drain and fills

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Dave- thanks for the help.
    I pulled out the A connector and both signals and brake lights seem to be working normally with it disconnected. (the brakes had started to light both turn signal indicators on the dash since my original post).

What does the A connector do? Is it OK to simply leave it disconnected? I have no plans to tow a trailer so don't mind if I lose the trailer wiring.
    Thanks again.

update to the above-
    it seemed fine in the driveway but I just now drove it with the Connector A disconnected and it was behaving the same as when it was connected- either left or right turn signal on cause both turn signals to flash. Also brakes on cause both turn signal light sto come on (no flash- they stay on as long as brakes are applied.

Help?
    Thanks

It's not a good idea to leave connector A disconnected. It controls a lot of stuff. However for temporary diagnosis it's useful to disconnect it since it removes the trailer lighting harness from the circuit (part of it at least).

You say that pressing the brake turns on the signal indicators on the dash. Do the outside signal lights go on also? If so, front, rear, or both? Is connector A now disconnected or reconnected?
    Honda hood protector, stainless steel flex brake lines, Honda block heater, AC condenser screen, Zymol wax
    151,000 miles/243,000 kilometres; original transmission; Amsoil MV ATF since 79,000 miles/127,000 kilometres; Magnefine aux ATF filter; Honda aux ATF cooler; 19 drain and fills

Now this is weird.
    I plugged the Connector A back in. But the symptoms keep changing. I just drove it tonight ( I don't drive it much- it's my wife's car)

Tonight, application of the brakes made just the left signal (Inside, outside front, outside rear) come on continuously as long as the brakes were applied.

The left signal worked normally as long as the brakes were not applied. Once the brakes were applied, the left signal would stay on. Without brakes, the left signal went back to normal flash.

The right signal still made both signals flash (inside, outside front, outside rear)

I looked at the trailer wiring- nothing obvious. I bought the van used so I don't know who did the wiring. It looks professional, but not "Factory." Tomorrow, I think I will trace the trailer wires as far forward as possible and cut them off. Won't be pulling a trailer till summer, if ever.

Thanks for any help/advice.

I am thinking that the problem might be with the trailer wiring. Assuming your Odyssey has separate brake lights and signal lights, most trailers have combined brake/signal lights (the same filament is used for both). In order to make the lights work on the trailer, it is possible that the previous owner tried to connect some wires together at some point in the trailer wiring. The correct way to wire the trailer is to use a special electronic adapter that converts the separate lights to combined lights. If this was installed (it usually looks like a 2 inch square 0.5 inch thick block with wires coming out of it. There is a possibility that this adapter has failed if you have one.

The changing symptoms you describe are typical of an intermittent short in the trailer wiring, or possibly a failing wiring adapter as mentioned above.

Hopefully your trailer wiring harness is plugged into the van's trailer lighting connector. That connector is located inside the left rear side panel. It's a 6-pin grey connector. Remove this panel and disconnect the trailer harness from the van's connector. That will restore the wiring to stock. Then test the signal and brake lights.

Dave- you were right- it as the trailer wiring.

I could not find the left rear side panel, so I just cut out the electronic adapter just upstream and that seems to have solved the problem.

Many thanks!!!

13. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements