2004 Oddy Rear Windshield Wiper Dead - Need help
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2004 Oddy Rear Windshield Wiper Dead - Need help

2004 Oddy Rear Windshield Wiper Dead - Need help

Hi, long time member, rare poster. 2004 Odyssey EXL w/ 230,000K (and the original, babied tranny). I searched this topic, and have tried several suggestions, to no avail.

Symptoms and attempts to fix Rear Wiper:

1. Turning on the rear wiper switch does nothing, no movement, no sound. No other symptoms in car, no SRS light issue, nothing.
    2. The fuse is good #11 under drivers side dash (checked all other fuses as well just in case--all good)
    2. I replaced the rear wiper motor with a guaranteed used Honda part from ebay for $50. Didn't fix the problem.
    3. I replaced the rear wiper relay (Mitsuba RC-5102) located under the left rear speaker housing with a new relay from O'Reilly - didn't resolve the problem.
    4, I get 12v constant power from one of the four leads going into the motor harness. No other power from the other leads that I can read.

I'd appreciate any help or diagnostic ideas you guys have to help me run this problem down. The only thing I can think of in the circuit is the switch in the wiper stalk on the column--but that seems like a long shot, and a serious pain to fix.

Thanks, Dan

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Bump - anybody give me a hand with this?

This topic has been discussed many times and there are a lot of threads on it,
    just use the google search on the home page, search rear windshield motor
    and you will get many results. I did this fix on my own and the step by step was right on.

Check out:

rebuild rear windshield wiper
    Bernie_D

2003 Ody EX-L was wife's, now my ride
    2004 Acura TL was mine, totalled by my son :-(
    2009 Civic EX-L bought used to replace TL, wife has decided she prefers it to the Ody

2005 Harley Davidson Sportster 1250cc conversion

Honda Snowblower, Honda Outboard and Honda Lawnmower

Past Honda CB750 Four, Honda CB 350, Honda 305 Dream Motorcycles (Before Kids....)

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Thanks much Bernie D for your help. I'm still stuck after trying everything I've read here. What I do know is apparantly the front wiper stalk switch is working, and the wiper relay under the left rear speaker is clicking on and off when the front switch is engaged.

I have also completely disassembled both the wiper shaft and gear assembly, and the motor. The shaft was turning before, but I cleaned and lubricated it, and everything is moving freely.

I don't see anything visibly wrong with the motor, but it is still not working--no motion or noise when plugged in. I disassembled, and cleaned the motor connections / brushes, and tried to make sure there was good contact with the commutator. All looks fine as far as I can tell -- it's just not working when powered up.

So I'm stumped and frustrated. The only thing I can think of to do now is to either buy a new assembly (aargh), or take a chance to try another (second try) used one from ebay.

Anybody have any ideas? Thanks much!

if you apply 12v (both positive and neg) directly the motor terminals (at the connector, don't know which is which, sorry) and the motor turns strongly, then you know the motor is OK and the problem is somewhere in the circuit before that point. Could be where the wire bends going into the rear hatch,rear wiper switch on steering lever, relay etc.
    Buffalo4
    2003 EX-L
    190k miles orig tranny Sept 2018

Registered User New Dad New Van's Avatar
    Too bad it wasn't just a fuse.

Need to check the Rear Window Wiper Intermittent Control Unit at the rear driver's side. First make sure the Wiper Switch works for the rear wiper as well - maybe the rear wiper function is not working but others do?

There is a Multiplex Unit too.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    2015 Hyundai Elantra GL Manual Transmission
    2003 ACURA EL Touring Auto AT
    2001 Odyssey LX (Traded in May 2015 with failed transmission at 100k miles)
    1994 Subaru Impreza L Manual Transmission (Sold in 2010)
    UNOFFICIAL 2001 ODYSSEY THREAD: Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo4 View Post
    if you apply 12v (both positive and neg) directly the motor terminals.....
    Buffalo4
    You beat me to this. I was going to suggest the same thing and this WAS the fist thing I tried when faced with similar problem to determine that my motor was cooked.
    So, yeah, grab 2 wires and jump this sucker to the 12V battery under your hood. If you get any motion from the motor then problem is in the wiring. If not then it is the motor. Simple enough to test

As mentioned, apply power to the motor and see what happens. You can use any 12volt battery to do this as long as it can push a couple amps (lawn mower, motorcycle battery, portable jump starter etc.). If it runs then you need a volt meter to trouble shoot where the issue is. Could be a broken wire from the car body to the door, you can see the wire loom at the top of the door and it's common for older cars to have issues there from the hatch being opened many times.
    Mike
    07 EX-L RES/NAV

Sold at 202k miles
    2000 Odyssey LX
    Trans at 82k -- Tru-cool trans cooler
    DIY Timing Belt at 104k
    Hidden Hitch & Airlift 1000's

Thanks all, I did apply power to the motor, and it appears dead. Don't know why--it looks fine.

I went ahead and ordered an aftermarket motor / gear assembly made by Cardone for $80 on ebay. Should get in a day or two, so I'll let you know what happens. I already tried swapping this with a used part--I assume that one was dead on arrival.

Thanks for your help!

Update: the new motor did not work. Then retried the original motor by directly jumping just the direct motor leads (instead of the assembly harness leads). Motor works, shaft turns! (Wish I had tried this before)

Since i hear the wiper relay switching on and off under left rear speaker, I assume switching to that point is ok.

I'll look at the wiring schematic, but not sure what to do from there. Still stuck!

Are you saying that applying power on the inside of the assembly gets the motor going, but you don't get any motion when you hook 12V up to the connector on the outside? If that's the case,then you don't even need to troubleshoot any more. It is a break in the wire or possibly between pin (in the connector) and the wire. There's just nothing else there. connector (with pins), 4-6 inches of wire, and the motor on another side. Have you confirmed that you are applying 12V to the correct pins (polarity and all)?

Even though the relay is clicking, that only means it is getting power to its coil. It's switching contacts may not be good or they may not be receiving any power.
    Buffalo4
    2003 EX-L
    190k miles orig tranny Sept 2018

Thank you all so much for your help. Here's the latest in my saga:

With your help, I have learned that the problem is not with the (now cleaned and rebuilt) wiper motor / assembly (hence the two replacement units that didn't resolve the problem). Apparently my original unit works - I tested it by applying 12v directly to the motor leads, and it runs fine.

It appears the wiper relay (and stalk switch) are working (rear relay is clicking on and off). I also get one constant 12V to one of the hatch leads that snaps into the rear wiper motor assembly.

From here I'm going to inspect the wires as they come through the body to the hatch to see if there are any breaks. And if I can find it, check the Wiper Intermittent Control Unit (can somebody tell me exactly where this is?).

I'll update soon with any progress, thanks!

Ok, finally found the problem. There is at least one broken wire, and others wearing, coming out from the body, to the hatch. I pulled back the rubber grommet and cover, and there was the damage to the wires. I read that MDXs often have this problem. Thousands of cycles of opening and closing the hatch must have taken a toll on the wires.

I'll try to take and post a picture here to help the next guy with this doggone problem! Thanks all!

Pics are always good. It's pretty common as they get older, drivers door is common too. I haven't had an issue with my Ody yet but have on my Jeep. I cut it back and soldered in a new wire of same gauge, stranded of course. Use heat shrink over the solder joints and done deal. Can be tedious because of the tight spaces.
    Mike
    07 EX-L RES/NAV

Sold at 202k miles
    2000 Odyssey LX
    Trans at 82k -- Tru-cool trans cooler
    DIY Timing Belt at 104k
    Hidden Hitch & Airlift 1000's

18. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast