D indicator flashing, Code P0710, poor gas mileage, is my transmission fried?
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Thread: D indicator flashing, Code P0710, poor gas mileage, is my transmission fried?

Unhappy D indicator flashing, Code P0710, poor gas mileage, is my transmission fried?

I have a 2002 EX 53k miles, I bought it Honda Certified a little over a year ago. Late last week my wife told me that the D shift indicator started flashing. This would go away when you shut the car off and restarted. It didn't happen for a few days and then it came back. I checked the ATF fluid which seemed OK. There were no obvious driveability problems (like long shifts or engine revving during shifts). I stopped by Autozone and had them scan for a code. They found 'P0710 Problem in ATF Temperature Sensor Circuit'. I also noticed in the last tank that the gas mileage went down to 15.7 from an average of about 19. The current tank seems to have similar low MPG.

Has anyone seen this code?

I hope my transmission is not fried. We are driving to a vacation this Tuesday evening.

I have an appointment at my dealer tomorrow. I'll post an update then.

-Stew
    Last edited by sysmg; 04-05-2006 at 01:29 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Registered User New Dad New Van's Avatar
    There is an ATF Temp Sensor that can cause the D light to flash if faulty.
    2015 Hyundai Elantra GL Manual Transmission
    2003 ACURA EL Touring Auto AT
    2001 Odyssey LX (Traded in May 2015 with failed transmission at 100k miles)
    1994 Subaru Impreza L Manual Transmission (Sold in 2010)
    UNOFFICIAL 2001 ODYSSEY THREAD: Hidden Content

Is it possible to hook that sensor up to a tranny temp guage?

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Originally posted by renew82
    Is it possible to hook that sensor up to a tranny temp guage?
    I couldn't find a way. Check out my web shots to see what I did instead.

Let us know if you do find a way to connect the stock sensor to a aftermarket digital/analog gauge.
    '99 Odyssey LX: 135k; 2nd trans. @ 128k Hidden Content Hayden 678 Trans Cooler, Cyberdyne trans gauge, Prodigy brake controller, MaxLife ATF
    '06 Tundra DoubleCab: retired Ody from it's towing duties
    '05 Jayco Jayflight 27BH
    Hidden Content

Autozone pulls the current code but you need to check for other fuel or emission codes. If there are any they need fixed first. The service manual indicates that this failure is only set by an electrical circuit problem and not internal transmission problems. To get to the sensor you have to block the transmission up and remove the transmission mounts. However if the mileage is truely dropping then you need the computer analyzed for other problems.
    2004 EX Odyssey.
    All posts made by me are in reference to the gen 2 Odyssey.

My D4 light was flashing, CEL and TCS went on at the same time transmission shift slow. I took in and good a new transmission 10 days ago. My 1st tank of gas after I got my transmission replaced my MPG went from 18 to 20. Go Check out D4 light flashing at problem forum.
    '01 GG EX 87 k miles
    Mud Guard, Wheel Lock, Cargo Tray, Weathertech Mats, Leather Steerling Wheel Cover, Pioneer 1655 front speakers, 1086 rear speakers, Weathertech Cargo Liner, Lojack, Garmin NUVI 650, New Tranny @ 60K, Engine Mount @ 75K

Well the transmission is being replaced under the Honda Certified used vehicle 100k driveline warantee.

At first the dealer said it needed a new transmission and it was fully covered. I asked him how they knew the transmission was bad. The service guy said the fluid was burnt and that the bad sensor prevented the computer from realizing the overheating condition. I asked him if the computer realized the overheating condition what could it do? He said it would have turned on the check engine light too. There were no other codes. I also refilled the gas tank and the mileage was 17.6 still low but not as bad.

He called me later and said Honda wanted me to come back so they could check if there was any debris in the fluid. If not, they would only authorize the sensor replacement. I went back and they found debris. So a rebuilt transmission is arriving on Tuesday. I'll have to be sure to remind them to flush the cooler to clear the debris that is surely in the cooler.

I did have fun however driving it today to ensure that there was debris in the tranny . By the way it still shifts just fine. No slipping or delays.

I'll leave the van at Honda while I go away on vacation Tuesday night. I guess I'll have to drive my 96 5.7L Chevy Caprice on vacation. It''ll be a little cramped, but it's still a nice car on the highway.

-Stew

Originally posted by sysmg
    Well the transmission is being replaced under the Honda Certified used vehicle 100k driveline warantee.

I'll leave the van at Honda while I go away on vacation Tuesday night. I guess I'll have to drive my 96 5.7L Chevy Caprice on vacation. It''ll be a little cramped, but it's still a nice car on the highway.

-Stew
    Honda has extended it's trasmission warranty to 7 years & 100k miles. Since it's under the warranty repair your Honda dealer should provide you a rental until your Ody is fixed. I took my 01 Ody in on a Sat they have to wait for the parts till Tuesday. Service consultant of my dealer asked me if I want to pick the ody and drive back over the weekend then drop off the car till Tuesday when the replacement part arrives. I refused to drive my Ody due to eratic shifting of the transmission after he checked with his mechanics he agreed to get a rental car. Just happened my daughter was on Spring break so I got to drive her car for a few days. I didn't pick up the rental even I got authorized.
    '01 GG EX 87 k miles
    Mud Guard, Wheel Lock, Cargo Tray, Weathertech Mats, Leather Steerling Wheel Cover, Pioneer 1655 front speakers, 1086 rear speakers, Weathertech Cargo Liner, Lojack, Garmin NUVI 650, New Tranny @ 60K, Engine Mount @ 75K

Originally posted by bjk2001
    ...snip... Since it's under the warranty repair your Honda dealer should provide you a rental until your Ody is fixed. ...snip...
    Thanks for the info. I'll think about it. It definitely gives me another option.

Although I need to think if the convenience of the extra space can be balanced with driving an unknown condition rental for a 700 mile round trip (one way from 8pm-2am) with my family. At least I know what shape my Caprice is in.

-Stew

Thanks for the info. I'll think about it. It definitely gives me another option.

Although I need to think if the convenience of the extra space can be balanced with driving an unknown condition rental for a 700 mile round trip (one way from 8pm-2am) with my family. At least I know what shape my Caprice is in.

-Stew
    Typically they will provide you with an equivalent vehicle to drive. Most the time they go thru Enterprise Rental car. Once my old Mercury Village was in the shop they gave me an almost new Dodge Durango for a week. It won't hurt to call your dealer and it's all negotiable. Good luck!
    '01 GG EX 87 k miles

The dealership replaced my transmission, PCM and did a wheel alignment. All went well and the Ody is running fine. The only issue was that it took a bit more time than I expected. I dropped it off Tuesday night, and got it back the following Monday night. From the work order it seems like it's only about 10-12 hours of work.

-Stew

-Stew
    Hmmmmmm 700 miles in 6 hours. That is 116.666 mph average. Where are you driving?
    2004 EX Odyssey.
    All posts made by me are in reference to the gen 2 Odyssey.

Originally posted by William Wiles
    Hmmmmmm 700 miles in 6 hours. That is 116.666 mph average. Where are you driving?
    If you read it closely, he meant 700 miles round trip and one way from 8 PM to 2 AM in 6 hours. So he drives 58.33333 MPH. He drives SLOW. : )
    '01 GG EX 87 k miles

Originally posted by bjk2001
    ...So he drives 58.33333 MPH. He drives SLOW. : )
    If you take an hour for lunch/gas/potty breaks that averages out to 70 MPH. That's pretty fast for an overall average, but doable! Go Caprice!!!..GO!
    '99 Odyssey LX: 135k; 2nd trans. @ 128k Hidden Content Hayden 678 Trans Cooler, Cyberdyne trans gauge, Prodigy brake controller, MaxLife ATF
    '06 Tundra DoubleCab: retired Ody from it's towing duties
    '05 Jayco Jayflight 27BH
    Hidden Content

Originally posted by funfinder4
    If you take an hour for lunch/gas/potty breaks that averages out to 70 MPH. That's pretty fast for an overall average, but doable! Go Caprice!!!..GO!
    I posted that before we went on the trip. Actual numbers were 340 miles (9pm - 1:45am) without any stops. Averaged 71.6mph. Cruise control kept me 8 or 9 mph over the speed limit (to limit tickets) and Coca-Cola and Led Zepellin on my MP3 (in one ear only to keep legal) kept me awake while others slept .

Got 21mpg in the 96 Caprice with a 5.7L V8. I got 22.2mpg with the 2002 Ody EX on the same trip last time (not sure of the speed).

Coming home took longer (daytime traffic on Sunday, with a 35 minute stop).

-Stew

18. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements