Found out why my transmission was slipping, pics - Page 5
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Found out why my transmission was slipping, pics

an update, trans is rebuilt, I reinstalled the subframe and assuming I didn't damage anything I should have this all assembled in a few weeks or so. P_20190422_055531.jpg P_20190422_055547.jpg P_20190422_055558.jpg P_20190422_055616.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

here's a pic of the trans installed, you can see how it looks polished with a wire wheel
    P_20190423_191537_1_p.jpg P_20190423_191646_1_p.jpg P_20190423_191658_1_p.jpg P_20190423_191658_1_p.jpg P_20190423_191750_1_p.jpg

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Wow! Cleaner than new!!

Dave
    2002 Odyssey EX Fern (Granite) Green
    Honda hood protector, stainless steel flex brake lines, Honda block heater, AC condenser screen, Zymol wax
    151,000 miles/243,000 kilometres; original transmission; Amsoil MV ATF since 79,000 miles/127,000 kilometres; Magnefine aux ATF filter; Honda aux ATF cooler; 19 drain and fills

Yeah I spent extra time cleaning and painting. I found a secret cleaner for metal. Just wire wheels won't clean aluminum believe it or not. I saw it on a YouTube channel where he not only rebuild the motorcycle engines but he is super picky about cleaning. It's called eagle one etching mag cleaner, it's a fairly moderate acid so you must wear gloves and eye protection. It oxidizes the metals top layer. You spray and scrub with a brush. Since wheels have clear coat on them you have to use a non scratch brush or non Scratch dish washing sponge. After your done immediately rinse with water and air compressor it dry or paper towels. I am gonna show you guys everything later, after the test drive

What did you end up using on the upgrades? Sonnax or the other one? Or did you mentioned somewhere you had both already?

Super clean indeed!

I actually bought both but I ended up using the superior translab because it's the only one that modifies the shift logic through hardware and it's got a ring to prevent the torque converter from walking back. To be fair I could have easily just kept the sonnax kit in it or just done nothing but I think I read somewhere that firmer shifts prolong the clutches with valvoline atf, so maybe it's true with actual shifting. plus somebody said that they installed the kit and they drove 40,000 miles with no problems. I'm still a couple weeks away from the test drive so it's possible I screwed up somewhere but with the amount of detail I put into it I don't know if I could figure out what's wrong with it because at every step I double checked everything. So if something's wrong it's something that I don't understand
    Last edited by eksine; 04-25-2019 at 12:31 PM.

Wait, no I meant to say, they said honda uses shift grade logic, I can't remember the name but basically 2 clutches are engaged at the same time while it shifts to make it smooth. So my thinking was using the trans lab eliminates the double clutch shifting which should prolong the clutches. It's not really a big deal because I saw the old clutches and they were all fine except for 3rd gear obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by nitely2 View Post
    What did you end up using on the upgrades? Sonnax or the other one? Or did you mentioned somewhere you had both already?

Super clean indeed!

I finally got it all installed and took it for a test drive. Shifts really smooth, even smoother than my 4 speed Accord. It's hard to tell when it shifts actually. Seems to go into reverse and neutral and park just fine.
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=2QAbrLAUA6g&t=1010s
    Last edited by eksine; Today at 02:24 PM.

Nitely2 you remember when you started your van and you said it jolted? I don't think it was because the gears we're meshing for the first time like one of you guys said. The gears are already meshed. I put mine in neutral and started it and got no jolt. I think what was happening was you and the other guy probably forced your transmission to park and they are technically not parked. I think the parking pawl is slamming into a tooth attempting to park itself and that's why you feel the slam.
    Quote Originally Posted by nitely2 View Post

Super clean indeed!

13. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345