My poor 04
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Thread: My poor 04

My poor 04

I bought my 2004 Odyssey LX in August of 2014. It had 172,000 miles at the time. As of last weekend, it has about 265,000. It served me well, most reliable vehicle I've ever owned. Yes it had minor issues now and then, but nothing I couldn't fix or replace myself, which I did. It was due for an oil change, inspection, and I have new exhaust and one more new rotor to install. And then it took a Honda Accord (or maybe it was a Civic) to the front right tire/quarter panel. Alas, it is dead.

On the plus side, I now have a 2008 Odyssey LX with 136,000 miles. It's in really good condition. Hoping it lasts just as long, if not longer!

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Man, that gets me when an otherwise fine-running old Odyssey is chugging along, and it gets taken out of the running by another vehicle.

Enjoy the new Odyssey, and keep on trucking.

OF
    2003 Ody EX-L RES 188k miles, OEM fogs & hitch, bbylon5 screen mod, ckonarske fog mod#2, cnn 82C t-stat mod, Tru-Cool Max, OT1 ATF tstat
    2002 Ody EX RES 197k, Ditto
    1998 Accord LX 238k, Haynes 676 ATF cooler
    1982 Ebbtide DynaTrak bass boat, 200hp Merc, DIY re-fit 2006-07: CMC jackplate, Teleflex Canada Steering, Torque-Shift 14-26 vari-pitch SS prop
    SNAPPER mower 5.5hp Honda

Hidden Content

I have a 2001 with just over 350,000 miles on her. She has been a champ even though we didn't take very good care of her.
    2001 Odyssey EX
    1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee (traded)
    1991 Honda Civic DX hatchback (mistake to get rid of for above)
    1978 Pontiac Grand Prix (wanted a Honda)

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by 0dyfamily View Post
    Man, that gets me when an otherwise fine-running old Odyssey is chugging along, and it gets taken out of the running by another vehicle.

Enjoy the new Odyssey, and keep on trucking.

OF
    Hi OF, I always admire your pic of the T-38's in your signature. I watched Top Gun last night for the first time in many years, and saw that they used what looked like T-38's for the fictional MiG-28's. Is that right? Did you fly T-38's. I almost did once, but got put in a T-37 instead, which was way less cool, but still awesome.
    2011 Odyssey LX, 106k miles
    1999 Odyssey EX, 234k miles, original owner

Before my family (and Ody) days I flew that wonderful white rocket as a jet instructor long ago in Texas. That particular T-38 in the pic was my personal favorite, 61-0908 at Laughlin AFB in Del Rio, TX. Amazingly, it is now in the Yanks Air Museum at Chino, CA, awaiting restoration. Maybe they will restore it to its former Laughlin paint scheme?

Top Gun used a mix of F-5E and F-5F fighters painted up for their role as the fictional "MiG-28". The T-38A and F-5B were almost structurally identical to each other, but neither were in the movie in the dogfight scenes. The F-5E (single seat) & F (two-seat) models had a wider fuselage, carried more fuel, had a re-designed wing with leading edge maneuvering flaps, uprated engines...and two Pontiac 20mm autocannon in the nose. They were definitely a big step up in capability and performance.

The T-37 was a fun, fun jet. It could pull an impossibly tight loop, had superb all-around cockpit visibility, and you could almost cut a "square corner" in the radar pattern. I would have given a redundant body part to fly its combat brother, the OA-37, just once (it had T-38 engines, minus the afterburner section...what a sports car!)

How did you score a ride in one?

OF

quattj, I'm sorry about waxing eloquently on your thread. We have a number of old and still current "jet heads" on Odyclub. Just thinking of good old days, thankfully with a little reminding from one of our old sages on this forum (oldskewel way of doing business, often better than "new school" way of thinking).

We're selling one of our faithful Gen 2's, and hoping to find a family who needs decent, reliable transportation, even if it is pretty old.

Thankfully, you're still on board the forum with your Gen 3.

If you want to revitalize the headlights into something truly worthy, check out this thread started by chuckerants: HIR Headlight Bulbs

inchemapa, on eBay, has the best prices I've seen for genuine Philips 9012LL (HIR2) bulbs. I'm one of his repeat customers for our 1998 Accord, 2012 Civic, and 2013 Corolla.

OF

I got to fly the T-37 as part of my ROTC field training back in college. I should have gone pilot, but foolishly thought it would distract me from other things. In the summer field training, the instructor pilot takes you up and lands, but the student (me) got to do all the flying in between. Not sure if I did a loop, but definitely did some rolls.

The field training was at Eglin AFB in Florida, but I remember we took a C-141 ride over a couple of states, maybe to Alabama for the flight sessions. Good times.

Great info on the Top Gun. I never knew the F-5 and T-38 were so similar.
    2011 Odyssey LX, 106k miles
    1999 Odyssey EX, 234k miles, original owner

Quote Originally Posted by oldskewel View Post
    The field training was at Eglin AFB in Florida,
    Can't complain about the location.

As much as I like Ody road trips, the C-141 (in spite of the noise) would win here.

OF

11. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements