Honda Odyssey Forum banner

P0740 code + TCS

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  v4forever 
#1 ·
Got the dreaded P0740 code on my 2004 Ody 195,800 mileage on a trip back home followed by TCS which goes off & stays off for a while after each engine shut off. All this after TruCool cooler installed when bought @ 77,000 miles, replaced external transmission filter, faithful flushes & refills. Haven’t had any major repair up to this point so guess I shouldn’t complain.
Besides the code, symptoms are: when engine is cold, 1st start in the morning, back out of garage obviously in reverse, then put into drive, it hesitates for maybe 5 seconds before engaging. The more I drive & warmer the fluids, no slippage at all. In fact, other than the CEL light, you’d never know there was a tranny problem.
So took van to Honda dealer for evaluation. $125 later, told the tranny is bad. 3 estimates given include parts, labor & even taxes = drive out the door fixed: #1. Used tranny: $4,200 #2. Remanufacured tranny with 3 year unlimited mileage: $5,800. #3. Honda trannny kit? (Service advisor said Honda tranny but stigmata says kit) 3 year, 36,000 miles: $5,600.
My questions are: #1. Which of the 3 options would you recommend? #2. Is it worth it to put $4-6K into a van with almost 200,000 on it? Due soon for timing belt, water pump, etc. maintenance & little repairs I haven’t fixed: 1 rear vent motor bad, CD player does play CDs, clock light out (I fixed once), more window wind noise. Replaced front struts & just paid $600 for 4 brand new tires. I’ve tried to keep it maintained since it’s our primary vehicle. Appreciate feedback. Thanks

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Sorry to hear about the bad news. Back when these were under warranty, a P0740 basically got you a replaced AT, no questions asked. The TCS comes on due to the P0740 - it's basically to warn you that TCS may not work. The system knows there's something wrong with the drivetrain and it considers the safety issue if you were to rely on TCS controlling traction for you.

If you spend $5k on a repair, you'll end up with a car you could sell for about $2000.

You might take a look on Craigslist to see what others are selling comparable, working vehicles for that you could just buy as a replacement for this one.

Some people out there might have the skills, time, and will to fix this themselves, either to use or flip. With the new tires, etc., you might get a few hundred $$ if selling this to someone.

Those should probably all be considered in your analysis, if you want to make a wise financial decision here.

It sounds like you got all that could be expected from the AT there. I'm on my 4th AT in my '99, all 3 replacements paid for by Honda. Finally with an aftermarket cooler, etc. and hoping to approach the mileage you got out of yours.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.