Cuts in exhaust pipes
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Thread: Cuts in exhaust pipes

Cuts in exhaust pipes

While trying to replace downstream O2 sensor in my 2002 Odyssey, I noticed that there are two cuts in my exhaust pipes, one before and one after the catalytic converter. The cuts are through the pipes, and almost 360 degree circumferential (as far as I can check). Are these cuts intentional? Will that affect the exhaust function such as leaking? I am the original owner, and have never had exhaust work done on this car.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

It looks like someone was trying to steal you catalytic converter. I assume it's kinda loud now. You may be able to get someone to weld it back up. That is not normal.
    Mike
    07 EX-L RES/NAV

Sold at 202k miles
    2000 Odyssey LX
    Trans at 82k -- Tru-cool trans cooler
    DIY Timing Belt at 104k
    Hidden Hitch & Airlift 1000's

Quote Originally Posted by OdyinNH View Post
    It looks like someone was trying to steal you catalytic converter.
    That is the first thing I thought of...theft attempt!

This sort of thing happens a lot at "Park and Ride" lots in CA and NY State.

OF
    2003 Ody EX-L RES 188k miles, OEM fogs & hitch, bbylon5 screen mod, ckonarske fog mod#2, cnn 82C t-stat mod, Tru-Cool Max, OT1 ATF tstat
    2002 Ody EX RES 197k, Ditto
    1998 Accord LX 238k, Haynes 676 ATF cooler
    1982 Ebbtide DynaTrak bass boat, 200hp Merc, DIY re-fit 2006-07: CMC jackplate, Teleflex Canada Steering, Torque-Shift 14-26 vari-pitch SS prop
    SNAPPER mower 5.5hp Honda

Hidden Content

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

I assume the cuts aren't through, go to any good exhaust shop and tell them to seal the crack before it splits.

Thank you all for your replies. You are all right --- the insurance adjuster confirmed that it is a theft attempt. The thief probably used a pipe cutter, but the fins on the pipe stopped him/her from cutting the pipe off. The O2 sensor wires were damaged, which caused the check engine light error. This happened several days ago when I drove out of town and parked the car off the street.

I got the pipes welded yesterday and also replaced the O2 sensor. The car is much quieter now.

Thank you all!

You are lucky they didn't get the cat, and also lucky that the O2 sensor wires were damaged on the sensor side of the harness connector.

Dave
    2002 Odyssey EX Fern (Granite) Green
    Honda hood protector, stainless steel flex brake lines, Honda block heater, AC condenser screen, Zymol wax
    151,000 miles/243,000 kilometres; original transmission; Amsoil MV ATF since 79,000 miles/127,000 kilometres; Magnefine aux ATF filter; Honda aux ATF cooler; 19 drain and fills

Battery powered sawzall would have done the job but the thief may have needed quiet. Looks almost like someone scared him off or he just plain had the wrong tool for the job. These pipes are pretty thick in that area.
    Mike
    07 EX-L RES/NAV

Sold at 202k miles
    2000 Odyssey LX
    Trans at 82k -- Tru-cool trans cooler
    DIY Timing Belt at 104k
    Hidden Hitch & Airlift 1000's

This stuff really gets me. Catalytic converter theft is rampant in CA and NY State because their stricter emissions testing requires "state-specific" cat cons to enable the vehicle to confidently pass the test. Walker Exhaust sells cat cons for everything, and you'll see multiple types for each vehicle...."48 state" and "CA & NY" part numbers. The versions for CA & NY are much more expensive due to the elevated quantities of pricey metals in the catalyst monolith.

Same goes for fuel...for a while, when California gas prices got really scary in 2012, thieves were poking holes in plastic gas tanks and draining fuel out of parked cars. California is seeing hideous fuel prices again, and it wouldn't surprise me if this happens again.

OF
    Last edited by 0dyfamily; Today at 04:02 PM.

11. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements