Honda Odyssey Forum banner

2000 Transmission Range Sensor Replaced - Still have code

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  John Clark 
#1 ·
I replaced the transmission range sensor about 2 years ago. There were no operational issues, but the code was set (P0705) and would keep returning. That "repair" lasted for about 6 months and I've had the code ever since, but still no operational issues. I suspect the connector and/or wiring between the sensor and the ECU. Does anyone have any experience or advice on further troubleshooting?

#2 ·
What brand of range sensor did you use? If you used an aftermarket range sensor that's the first thing I'd suspect.

First rule of parts changing...just because it's new doesn't mean it's good.

#3 ·
I used an aftermarket part and I my first thought was that maybe the ECU just wasn't going to be happy until it saw that Honda part. But the car now functions as expected now (except for the code), just as it did with the original Honda part before I did the replacement. So I am thinking it must be something else.

#4 ·
If it worked for 6 months and quit again I'd suspect a bad sensor. You could also try adjusting it, too. Most of the aftermarket electronic stuff is junk, though. Trust me on this. It's copycat stuff made in China vs the good stuff made in Japan.

#5 ·
When I replaced my 99 ody with the AZ duralast($100) one I have no problem since. That was maybe 3-4 years ago. That also has a lifetime warranty. It was actually functioning properly on the old and on the newly installed reman tranny- last Dec. So yeah, aftermarket does not always mean bad. But in your case, it sounds like you need a new one. Did you check the harness connection? Remove and reconnect just to make sure. Hear it click in.

#6 ·
Duralast electrical parts are made by Wells so they are decent stuff. I do use them when I can't order OEM or need something in a hurry. I've gotten OEM parts right out of the Duralast box before. There isn't another aftermarket parts house brand I'd even consider, though.

#7 ·
If I recall correctly, the brand was Wells-Airtex (from Rockauto). I just did the EGR passage clearing (looked 100% clogged and only then did it trigger the 401 code) and erased codes. If it comes back (yes, should be unrelated but stranger things have happened) I'll attack the Transmission Position Circuit problem and give an update when solved.

#9 ·
The Wells-Airtex is OK, as I said but they are still not the genuine part and still suspect in this case. The code actually points to the circuit so it can be the sensor or the wiring, or even the module (ECM/TCM) it's connected to. Codes only give you a direction on where to start checking. They rarely tell you what part to change.

Any EGR issue is not going to set a transmission range code, though, so that was separate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.