Used 2004 Odyssey with 37,000 miles - less transmission problems than a 00-01?
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Used 2004 Odyssey with 37,000 miles - less transmission problems than a 00-01?

Used 2004 Odyssey with 37,000 miles - less transmission problems than a 00-01?

There is a 2004 Odyssey EX with 37,000 miles that I am considering purchasing. But then my friend (who owns an '06) told me about the transmission woes of these Odysseys. Then I got online, read a whole bunch of horror stories....

I know everyone here is probably sick of discussing the transmission issues, but I've heard conflicting things. Some say the 99-01's had the problems, but Honda rectified in years after that. Then I heard that the problem actually extended all the way to the '04's.

Can anyone comment on this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

02-04 five speeds are not anywhere near as bad as the 99-01 four speeds. You will see a lot of reports here of failures, because that's one of the reasons people come here. The five speeds did have a recall to install an oil jet to cool a certain gear. Make sure the one you are looking at has had this done. (you can get it done if it wasn't) Late build 04s had the cooling internal (check build date on driver's door) Those transmissions are as good as an 05-06 ones. (the trans has been redesigned for 07) I think the 02-04 vans are a really good deal now for several reasons. The transmission scare, Odys being redesigned and Toyota having redesigned their Sienna to be a real competitor. If you do go for it, check the condition of the fluid. It may never have been changed. (45k is "normal" service interval) Have a "normal" drain and fill at least three times in the first year you own it. Then do them at least once a year or every other oil change. If you will drive it around quite loaded, have a transmission cooler installed.

Do post more details of the van. Dealer or private party? Any service records? asking price? You'll get plenty of opinions.

Originally posted by egads
    02-04 five speeds are not anywhere near as bad as the 99-01 four speeds. You will see a lot of reports here of failures, because that's one of the reasons people come here. The five speeds did have a recall to install an oil jet to cool a certain gear. Make sure the one you are looking at has had this done. (you can get it done if it wasn't) Late build 04s had the cooling internal (check build date on driver's door) Those transmissions are as good as an 05-06 ones. (the trans has been redesigned for 07) I think the 02-04 vans are a really good deal now for several reasons. The transmission scare, Odys being redesigned and Toyota having redesigned their Sienna to be a real competitor. If you do go for it, check the condition of the fluid. It may never have been changed. (45k is "normal" service interval) Have a "normal" drain and fill at least three times in the first year you own it. Then do them at least once a year or every other oil change. If you will drive it around quite loaded, have a transmission cooler installed.

Do post more details of the van. Dealer or private party? Any service records? asking price? You'll get plenty of opinions.
    2004 Ody EX
    37,000 miles
    Redrock pearl exterior
    tan interior
    $15,200
    Dealer (auto auction place)

Seems like a very aggressive price to me.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

egads, what '04 build date should I look for?

Yep

Perfectly stated..Those 5 speeds are much much better!
    2004 exl, Sandstone Metallic 100,000 miles DEAD...lost the tranny at 102k
    2004 Mazda 3 s, Titanium gray 79,000 miles

You must also consider that the newer vans typically do not have as many miles on them, and they'll possibly have numerous tranny failures once they get up in miles too. Just take a look at the failures on this forum on newer models. What reason does anyone here have to believe that Honda made some miraculous engineering discovery and advancement that has now bulletproofed their tranny design?

It's also about what kind of risk/reward you're ok with. I got a '99 with 100k and a reman tranny for $8k, and it looks/works just as nice as a $15k 2004. If the tranny fails, I'm out $2k, and that's still a ton less than a 2004 even if my tranny happened to fail again!

Now if money is no object, you'd either be driving a Sienna or new Ody anyway.

Originally posted by jondotcom
    You must also consider that the newer vans typically do not have as many miles on them, and they'll possibly have numerous tranny failures once they get up in miles too. Just take a look at the failures on this forum on newer models. What reason does anyone here have to believe that Honda made some miraculous engineering discovery and advancement that has now bulletproofed their tranny design?

It's also about what kind of risk/reward you're ok with. I got a '99 with 100k and a reman tranny for $8k, and it looks/works just as nice as a $15k 2004. If the tranny fails, I'm out $2k, and that's still a ton less than a 2004 even if my tranny happened to fail again!

Now if money is no object, you'd either be driving a Sienna or new Ody anyway.
    So about $2k for a new (or rebuilt) tranny? I've heard as high as $6k

Originally posted by Qballe
    So about $2k for a new (or rebuilt) tranny? I've heard as high as $6k
    If you read what most have paid here, it seems to go anywhere from $0 (fully comp'd by honda) to $3k ish(if I recall correctly). It seems that most who've complained to honda corporate have at least had honda share the replacement cost.

The $2k figure is somewhat of a rough ballpark.

thus my advise to have the transmission fluid changed several times at a dealer. There's nothing like some service records when needing "help" on an out of warranty repair.

If you are a man that like to go to Vegas....But an Oddy

King of Custom Pedals
    04 Odyssey (9.67mpg mix) 27mpg Highway- Go figure GONE
    12 Quest SL
    12 Altima 3.5 SR
    91 MR2

Originally posted by wild willy
    If you are a man that like to go to Vegas....But an Oddy
    ???

I see you have met Wild Willy. He hates his wife's Ody. In fairness, he has lots of problems and a lousy dealer. His mission is to dissuade as many as possible from buying an Odyssey or even a Honda.

My 04 has 111k miles on it now, not a single problem so far...

I see you have met Wild Willy. He hates his wife's Ody. In fairness, he has lots of problems and a lousy dealer. His mission is to dissuade as many as possible from buying an Odyssey or even a Honda.
    He sounds like fun!

I am calling the dealer tomorrow to fire off a bunch of questions. One thing of interest - the car is in Cleveland, but when I signed up for OwnerLink, it gave the car's dealership as one in Pompano Beach FLA. So I wonder if this was a Florida car.

18. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast