transmission or pressure switch?
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Thread: transmission or pressure switch?

transmission or pressure switch?

hello fellow odyssians. so i started up my 01 odyssey yesterday and almost immediately my tcs light came on, my check engine light came on, and my d4 light started flashing away. of course the van had trouble shifting, too. after i turned the car off and back on, the tcs light went off and the d4 light stopped blinking. the check engine light stayed on though and the van was still acting funny. i took it in to a shop today and they told me i need a new tranny.

i bought the van 2 years ago. the tranny was replaced about three years ago. i have the receipts to prove it. the owner actually had to take it back to the shop a couple weeks after it was replaced because the the tcs light and check engine light came on. it was also having trouble shifting. the tech pulled the following codes: p1491, p1738, p1739. they ended up replacing the the 2nd and 3rd clutch pressure switches.

did the transmission really need to be replaced? is it possible that it was just the pressure switches? sounds a little odd to me those things needed to be replaced just 2 weeks after the new tranny was installed.

it sounds like i've got the same problem now. unfortunately i don't know the codes they pulled from the computer today. they cleared them, too. i'm going to call tomorrow and see if they can tell me.

here's the kicker. after i picked it up from the shop today, the thing hardly shifted out of first gear. if i turn it off and then back on, it starts working better. then after a minute it will not shift at all. this cycle would continue until i just gave up trying to get it home and parked it.

so that's where i'm at now. sorry for the essay. i would greatly appreciate any help. thanks!

clinton

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

How many miles? If its less than 109k, its still under warrantee.

I'd wager those pressure switches are outside the case of the trans, and would possibly be transfrerred from the old trans to the new.
    2013 Smoky Topaz Odyssey Touring
    2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T to replace the Integra
    2002 MB EXL-RES(sold at 137k miles)
    1994 Acura Integra GSR(sold in 2009 with 195k, stolen from new owner after only 7 months!)

yeah it's got 116k on it now. also i found out those codes from my mechanic. at least this is what he told me he pulled from the computer yesterday...

40-1 TC clutch

ECM 70-2 AT major system malfunction

46-1 trans clutch pressure

he said those are actual honda codes. i'm assuming those translate to the p codes somehow. i haven't researched that yet.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Originally posted by duxsmer
    yeah it's got 116k on it now. also i found out those codes from my mechanic. at least this is what he told me he pulled from the computer yesterday...

40-1 TC clutch

ECM 70-2 AT major system malfunction

46-1 trans clutch pressure

he said those are actual honda codes. i'm assuming those translate to the p codes somehow. i haven't researched that yet.
    They may also be focking with and saying that what was the codes were in order to make a sale on a new tranny. I would take it to another place and see what they say.
    2008 Odyssey Ex

i tried to drive it a minute ago. it still won't move when in reverse or d4. it also won't allow me to even try to shift down to d3 or d4. it's like those gears are locked out now.

The problem shifting to D3 and D4 is probably how you're working the lever. The only locking mechanism there is the one keeping it in Park. I'm not even sure there's a mechanical connection to the transmission.

I think I'd argue that 116k isn't that much over 109k, assuming it even needs a new transmission.
    2013 Smoky Topaz Odyssey Touring
    2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T to replace the Integra
    2002 MB EXL-RES(sold at 137k miles)
    1994 Acura Integra GSR(sold in 2009 with 195k, stolen from new owner after only 7 months!)

Super Moderator
    Yes to shift to D3, D2, D1, do not pull the shift lever towards you like for most other makes. Just slide it down. It should move. Go to D2 as that is a specific lock out gear. Perhaps then you can drive it to the dealer for some prospective "goodwill." You are relatively close to the 109K limit and if they are in a good mood, with your substantial documentation and "proof" of adequate ATF fluid changes, it may be extended at this point in time.

Let us know what happens? Good luck.

10. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements