(solved) Hood won't close and latch - Page 2
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: (solved) Hood won't close and latch

Hey guys I'm having the same problem with my hood latching. The screw driver trick works. It closes the hood with no problem. Now my question is, can I just change the springs and check to see if the springs it has are weak and Need stronger spring? Maybe that's why the lock isn't staying open.

Does es anyone have the park number or the correct sizes of the 2 springs? I would like to change them before I change the wire.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Heavier springs may help, but they do not resolve the problem. I suggest you read posts #13 and especially #15 in this thread. Time is better spent on the band at the end of the cable. I'm not sure if anyone has had any success on cutting or releasing the pressure on the band on the cable near the hood latch. Switching the cable is a real PITA.

Thanks for this mitchd123. It was driving me nuts, I actually had to stop trying to close the hood at home and work and would try it in odd parking lots because it was so embarrassing with the repeated futility.

It usually latches and closes after a few days--which must have been because the lever got shaken back into place by normal driving. Now I know what to look for I am going to keep pushing the lever

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Ro!
    My mechanic spent 1h30 after changing my oil trying to close my hood. He proposed me a 200$ to change the cable.
    I didn't take this offer and came straight to this forum. For me the key of the car is enought to make this works

Great tricks, make me save 200+$

Thanks a lot to mitchd123 and the community

I have this issue as well and am trying to fix it but I can't view the images mitchd123 posted, or at the very least they aren't appearing. Can someone else repost them?

Quote Originally Posted by jacobdmathews View Post
    I have this issue as well and am trying to fix it but I can't view the images mitchd123 posted, or at the very least they aren't appearing. Can someone else repost them?

Quote Originally Posted by mitchd123 View Post
    I wasted a lot of time tracking this one down, so I figured I'd share to save some other some grief.

I tried oiling it. I tried adjusting it, I removed it and cleaned it. I slammed it hard, I slammed it soft. I pushed down and the right and on the left, nothing would work. I finally discovered the little latch would not going back to the right position. Here are some pictures of bad and good.

You can push this down with a key or a screw driver, and then the hood will close correctly. You don't even need to slam it.

Here's a close up of the hood latching mechanism. Simply push down on the piece of metal the arrow is pointing at.

UP Photo 1 https://drive.google.com/open?id=1wU...-GBdY-yUc9AtB0

Here's a picture with it pushed down. The WD40 had no impact

Down Photo https://drive.google.com/open?id=17t...9Vwx-Hq1q2C0qY

Also worth noting it's good to draw an arrow like I did in pencil for the spouse or mechanic.

(edited-added new images when imageshack lost the old ones)
    2018 edit: Updated links to GoogleDrive images.

What happened to the images.. i too am wasting lots of time trying to figure this one out...

In post #1, mitchd123 says to "push down on the piece of metal." In post #21, yomama604 says to "slide it over with your finger." What are these motions doing? Are these motions pushing the cable back into its sleeve?
    2003 Odyssey EX
    ..21,000 - Second-Gear Oil Jet Kit (Warranty)
    108,000 - Original Trans Rebuilt (Non Warranty), Added Aux Cooler
    132,000 - Timing Belt, Tensioner, Seals, Water Pump, Belts
    180,000 - Motor & Trans Mounts, CV Axles, Spark Plugs
    191,000 - A/C High-Side Schrader Valve
    198,000 - Original Front Rotors Replaced, Driver-Side CV Axle (Warranty)
    200,000 - Ignition Key Tumblers
    207,000 - Radiator & Hoses, Added Magnefine Trans Fluid Filter

Quote Originally Posted by stech View Post
    What happened to the images.. i too am wasting lots of time trying to figure this one out...
    I just checked the links in Post #22 and they seem to be working for me. Let me try re-attaching them here in the forum.

From the top there's a piece of metal on the far right you can push down. The cable however was not the problem for me. It was the actually hood latch itself which was sticking. Replacing the cable made no difference. See the piece of metal in the right side of the photo with the arrow drawn in pencil.

Up (won't latch)
    hood_latch_up.jpg

Down (will latch)
    hood latch_down.jpg

I don't see the pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by stevelisa87 View Post
    I don't see the pictures.
    Steve, click on the link. I just validated they are still there.

15. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12