2002 Rear Heater Core ?
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2002 Rear Heater Core ?

2002 Rear Heater Core ?

I noticed a small dime sized drop of fluid on my garage floor over the weekend. Light green and kinda oily under the right rear side of my van. I thought maybe it was a break seal or something. But my knowledge of car repair/troubleshooting is horrible at best.

So today I run into my local repair shop (not a Honda dealer), and they tell me my rear heater core is leaking coolant. Ok, I say, "lay it on me" ... well when it's all said and done, looks like it will be about $700 to get everything done. The part, the labor, flush refill, capture the AC discharge/recharge etc ...

Does this sound about right ? I don't mind putting the money into the van, it's been great so far. But just wanted to check here first.

Also, does the leak sound so bad that it can't possibly wait until it gets worse ? The coolant level in the van is right where it should be. Like I said, about a dime sized spot on the floor and after a night sitting maybe 2-3 more drops come out. Unless that stuff evaporates really quickly.

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

I would crawl under the van and see if maybe one of the coolent lines that go to the heater core is leaking.
    2008 Odyssey Ex

I just looked in the service manual, and it's a relatively involved process to get the evaporator/heater core assembly out, pull the unit apart and replace the core. The OEM heater core itself is going for $271. I think it's reasonable.
    '00 Ody LX with 109k
    '99 Corolla VE with 103k (stick)

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

It is indeed the core that is leaking. I thought the price seemed about right also. The garage has never done me wrong in the past.

How 'critical' is it though, to get it fixed ? A few drops each night. Or could the thing just go from drops to fully leaking everything out in minutes if it totally failed ? Or is this something that is more gradual ?

Thanks.

It's not something I would let slide. The rear heater lines and core are under cooling system pressure when hot. Also the area around the leak is probably weak. So it could go from a drip to a full blow in a short time. That could disable your van from cooling system failure and risk overheating the aluminum engine.
    2002 Odyssey EX Fern (Granite) Green
    Honda hood protector, stainless steel flex brake lines, Honda block heater, AC condenser screen, Zymol wax
    151,000 miles/243,000 kilometres; original transmission; Amsoil MV ATF since 79,000 miles/127,000 kilometres; Magnefine aux ATF filter; Honda aux ATF cooler; 19 drain and fills

If you don't use the rear heater you could loop the lines and bypass the heater core.
    2004 EX Odyssey.
    All posts made by me are in reference to the gen 2 Odyssey.

Thanks to everyone for their feedback and information.

I am going to make the appt. for next week.

Antifreeze leak at Rear Heater core

I have the same issue with my '02 Odyssey. It started last Summer and then went away. It came back this Summer. What I found is that it doesn't leak unless I run the rear air. I also found that if I turn the Rear A/C control off on the dash it will only leak a drop or two overnight.
    I will have to take the rear panel off and take a look at it. I would bet that it is either a bad hose connection or a bad valve. I will try and let you know what I find. I do all my own work so I just have the cost of parts.

Let me know what they found wrong with yours.

Joe: I found the same to be true if I left the AC off. But we needed it to run for the kids, so I decided to have it fixed. It looked like a real nightmare with all the stuff they had to disassemble. My local garage took part of 2 days to fix it because they had to diagnose the issue first. But all it was was a leak in the curved metal pipe that the fluid runs through coming up out of the floor. You could see on the floor and around the fitting old fluid that had leaked and dried and left a crusty aftermath. Forgive my lack of technical knowledge. If were as smart as you or many of the other folks here i would have saved myself about $500 ! haha

Everything has been fine since that day. Certainly much cheaper than a new core and install. Good luck !

I have two stepkids and run the rear air too when it's hot. Luckly this summer (Ohio) has not been that bad and I've only ran the back a few times. Like you stated, my fluid level has not gone down at all so the leak must be minimal at best hence why I have put off fixing it.
    So, I'm guessing they just changed the metal hose? I'm hoping mine is the same issue. I will take a look at it in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks for the reply back. It will help!

Yep just that little piece and the fittings for it.

I'm not sure if you can see this link or not but I'm guessing it will be one of the metal hoses on this diagram:

http://bkhondaparts.com/billkay/jsp/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=ODYSSEY&catcg ry2=2002&catcgry3=5DR+EXL+LEATHER&catcgry4=KA5AT&c atcgry5=REAR+WATER+HOSE&ListAll=All&vinsrch=no&sys temcomp=Electrical/Exhaust/Heater/Fuel

Thanks for your help!

Yep, it was either #3 or #4 that had the leak. Not sure which one. But it was curved like that up out of the floor board

Thanks. At least I can check those right off and go from there if one of those is not the problem. Not sure where you are in OH but I am located just north of Columbus if you ever need help with something.

Funky Cold MEDINA !

Cheers

18. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast