Son saved somebody on our vacation
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Thread: Son saved somebody on our vacation

Son saved somebody on our vacation

We were snorkeling with a group of about three dozen people in the Florida Keys today as part of a tour package. My 16-yr-old son, 14 & 9-yr-old daughters joined me for some adventuring on the Florida Reef. We were near the more mundane portion by Key West; this barrier reef extends past Key Largo, and that's where there is a lot more color and variety of coral structure.

Anyways, the group spread out, and about 10 minutes into our group getting into the water, I noticed my son rapidly swimming towards a lady maybe 20 yards from me and my daughters. She'd gotten a few mouthfuls of water, couldn't clear the snorkel, and started to panic. Despite guidance for all of the newbies to add some air to their buoyancy compensators (BC's) before entering the water, she did not, and if it weren't for another husband & wife nearby who initially grabbed her, she would've quietly slid under. They called for help, and my son sprinted over.

Even though it had only been a half minute, the couple were already visibly exhausted trying to help keep this lady afloat, and she was still in a panic, thrashing at the water, wide-eyed and visibly shaken. My son put two lungfuls of air into her BC to raise her torso a little bit out of the water, rolled her onto her back, head elevated, and instructed her to slow down her breathing. That lifeguard training he took this summer for his job made a difference! He started to pull her back to the boat while my 9-yr old and I waved down a rescue swimmer who then teamed up with my son to take her the rest of the way back.

My son works at a pool on the local AFB back home; I don't think he ever thought he'd have to help save somebody in open water.

OF
    2003 Ody EX-L RES 188k miles, OEM fogs & hitch, bbylon5 screen mod, ckonarske fog mod#2, cnn 82C t-stat mod, Tru-Cool Max, OT1 ATF tstat
    2002 Ody EX RES 197k, Ditto
    1998 Accord LX 238k, Haynes 676 ATF cooler
    1982 Ebbtide DynaTrak bass boat, 200hp Merc, DIY re-fit 2006-07: CMC jackplate, Teleflex Canada Steering, Torque-Shift 14-26 vari-pitch SS prop
    SNAPPER mower 5.5hp Honda

Hidden Content

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

WOW! Truly amazing. Glad everyone is ok.

Great story, she was lucky your son was there for her. You should be very proud of his actions.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Nice!!! The lady is lucky your son was around. So is the couple who was exhausted.
    When I use this smilie ===> Hidden Content I am NOT calling you stupid. Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the Hidden Content .

2007 EX-L R&N, Slate Green with Olive (couldn't muster up the courage to trade my 1999 baby) ... Ours

2001 Emerald Green Pearl Accord V6-LX (Replaced the POS Taurus) ... Hers ...
    ..... Tranny replaced 6/4/08 @ 67,977 miles.
    ..... Tranny strarted slipping only 8,414 miles after the replacemnt.
    ..... 2nd tranny replacement 9/21/2009 @ 76,659 miles.
    1999 Sterling Mist Nissan Maxima SE with Bose and 6 Disc CD Changer in the trunk ... All Mine

1993 Maroon Ford Taurus GL (Was a POS after the clock turned 60K Miles) ... Traded for the Accord

alexmish1's Hidden Content
    alexmish1's Hidden Content

Amazing story - we really should have stuff like this on the news rather than the latest on Kim Kardashian or whatever! Great job
    - Chris

2011 Odyssey Touring
    2018 Audi S5 Cabriolet
    1995 VW Cabrio 5spd

Thanks, guys; passing it on to my boy. The scary part was, once she started to panic, she didn't make any noise other than just a little thrashing with her hands whenever they broke surface. She was mostly underwater except for maybe the part of her head from the nose up when that couple grabbed her. I've been told by my fireman inlaws that drowning people don't make noises during that last struggle to stay above water; i.e., it's nothing like we see on TV. She had a decent mask, snorkel, fins & BC (good gear), and still almost bought it. Thank God for people in the right place at the right time.

OF

Quote Originally Posted by 0dyfamily View Post
    Thanks, guys; passing it on to my boy. The scary part was, once she started to panic, she didn't make any noise other than just a little thrashing with her hands whenever they broke surface. She was mostly underwater except for maybe the part of her head from the nose up when that couple grabbed her. I've been told by my fireman inlaws that drowning people don't make noises during that last struggle to stay above water; i.e., it's nothing like we see on TV. She had a decent mask, snorkel, fins & BC (good gear), and still almost bought it. Thank God for people in the right place at the right time.

OF
    So right aout the noise. Glad all was well and your son was there.

There is a you tube video to train people what drowning is like, and it is not like in the movies.
    2015 ODY Touring White/Beige -MINE!! Tow package, door sill trim, body side molding, roof rack and splash guards! Hidden Content
    2016 CR-V EX AWD Mountain Air Metallic- Wife's!! Body side molding and splash guards! Hidden Content
    ************************************************** *********************************************
    SOLD!
    2003 ODY LX Silver - Traded in for $1,500
    113,000 Miles Original Transmission Hidden Content

Brave. Nice. Glad your son was out there. Its good everything turned out well.

Bravo! I will have my kid read this. It always inspiring. It is more uplifting when a kid sees other kids do extraordinary things.

Registered User New Dad New Van's Avatar
    Awesome story with a great ending!

Swimming lessons right up to lifeguarding is a great life skill for children. You never know when you will need it.

Same goes for First Aid. I would not want to feel helpless in a situation that required me to act to save a life.
    2015 Hyundai Elantra GL Manual Transmission
    2003 ACURA EL Touring Auto AT
    2001 Odyssey LX (Traded in May 2015 with failed transmission at 100k miles)
    1994 Subaru Impreza L Manual Transmission (Sold in 2010)
    UNOFFICIAL 2001 ODYSSEY THREAD: Hidden Content

Your son did the right thing at the right time.
    Years ago, I was a lifeguard at a municipal pool for the summer. Baby pool was circular, 12" deep at the outer edges. Guards sat on the edge with their feet in the water. One day, mother is talking to the mom to her right. Baby is crawling on edge at the mother's left, 3 feet away. Baby's arm misses the edge and rolls into the water, face up. Watching the only baby there, I stood up, took one step, and grabbed baby's arm and set him/her back on the edge. Not a single note of a cry. Just wetter. Mother kept talking and never saw or heard a thing.
    I wonder if the baby made it through life to be an adult, forty years later.

RV
    '02 Odyssey EX-L has left the garage.
    '11 Toyota Sienna XLE AWD, 71k miles

You must be truly proud of your son. Most of all, congratulations to the parents who raised such a good son.

Amazing story. Kudos to your son.

Thanks, Alike26, and welcome to the forum.

As the others noted, make sure your family knows how to swim, and having the family take first aid training is always a good idea, too.

OF

Very cool story! (Even though I'm late to the party). Absolutely amazing the wide variety of human behavior expressed while panicking. The only real recourse to it is training, yet so often the specific training doesn't come to bear, because the panicking person behaves unpredictably, rather than in sync with what we were taught to expect.

Well deserved confidence, gained from the training, merely helps keep our wits. Real life heroes do exist!

18. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements