Any more Kiwi (New Zealand) members?
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Any more Kiwi (New Zealand) members?

Dunedin, New Zealand (about as far as you can get from anywhere)

Smile Any more Kiwi (New Zealand) members?

Greetings from 'Down-Under', from a new member of the OdyClub, even before we've taken delivery of ours, that's Tuesday I hope, a 97 Odyssey.
    I see KiwiAWD explained in April last year how things work here. We are something of a time-warp, shiploads of 6 year-old Japanese second-hand cars arrive here regularly. So heaps more 95-97 Odysseys arrive here each month. And they arrive in wonderful condition, from who-knows-where. We are kind of a happy dumping ground for their 'old' cars. Our one at least has service papers, albeit in Japanese. Our yards are expert in figuring out car's history depending on when the Emperor was born.
    I found several USA sites excellent in helping compare what you call 'minivans' - we call them 'people movers'. But I only discovered the OdyClub after buying - what a wonderful forum.
    I'm hoping that more NZ buyers will join in, as far as I can see we have nearly identical Odysseys, I assume a 97 Japanese = a 97 USA model, give or take cruise control.
    But we NZ owners also have some issues of our own, like trying to find manuals that we can read.
    I've given up trying to figure out whether our Odyssey is an LX or an EX, I'm not sure the Japanese had such distinctions. My understanding is they ordered whatever they wanted. Certainly I've seen about 10 in the last week, 95-97 models, with no two the same. Every possible combination of seats, air conditioning, sunroof, roof rails, 2WD and 4WD, etc.
    But as far as I can tell, the body and mechanicals are the same as the North American Generation 1, so I'm going to learn a lot from this site. And hopefully people won't mind if I ask questions about labels on things - they may be warnings we should know about!

Dunedin, New Zealand

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Smile

Welcome Bob ! Please feel free to ask questions. This is a VERY friendly and helpful site.
    Very interesting description on how NZ goes about importing vehicles. You learn something new everyday.
    The manual issue: I think it was also KiwiAWD that brought that up and no one really has an answer to it. I hope you guys down under do find one.
    Good luck !
    -Rob-
    1995 Subaru Legacy LS/1992 Mazda Miata
    Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content

Smile

Originally posted by hachiroku
    This is a VERY friendly and helpful site.
    Hi, you are right. This is a site which radiates friendliness and helpfulness. I only discovered it yesterday, and yet felt quite happy making three posts. Normally I'd watch for ages before saying anything. Thanks for the welcome.

Very interesting description on how NZ goes about importing vehicles. You learn something new everyday.
    Couple of things I forgot to mention. Japan and New Zealand are both right-hand drive. And apparently Japan has some huge tax hike on vehicles after 6 years, so they darn near dump them. In New Zealand new car prices were relatively high, so a 10-year old car is not 'old'. People movers (minivans) were expensive new, but Japanese imports cut the price dramatically, and their popularity increased. More than 90% of our minivans would have been imported at more than 6 years old. We looked at every Odyssey in our city last week (about 10), and every one was freshly imported, and 94-97 (yes 2 were 1994). Most are in excellent condition, inside and outside, and mileage was 22k-70k (miles, not km - I'm having to start thinking like you folk )

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

The manual issue: I think it was also KiwiAWD that brought that up and no one really has an answer to it. I hope you guys down under do find one.
    Good luck !
    Things are looking up on the manual front. Our dealer today ordered us a manual for our new Japanese import Odyssey. It seems someone has recognised that there is a market for translating handbooks/manuals into English - mind you you've had English manuals all along, and we must have in this country as well. Beats me why they didn't just photocopy them.
    It'll be interesting to see what a new 1997 manual costs.
    And hopefully we'll get to find out how everything works. I'm someone who likes to read the instructions first. You know when it says "Important - read the instructions before using this appliance" - well I'm the person who actually obeys that requirement.
    I presume KiwiAWD has found his manual by now, but I'll see if he is still around.

Thumbs up

Bob,
    Good you found a lead on the manual ! I can't see why vehicles over there are not being sold with manuals.You'd think they would.
    But you found it so congratulations.
    -Rob-
    1995 Subaru Legacy LS/1992 Mazda Miata
    Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content

Hi there.
    Simple reason - the manual sold with the vehicle would be in Japanese, and most of us do not speak Japanese.
    I've got service papers in Japanese and I'm going to get someone I know who speaks Japanese to translate. And I'll photograph some of the warning labels that are in Japanese and get them translated as well.
    I'm sure you wouldn't miss the manual at these prices either
    97 Odyssey - model LX Plus - born and raised in Japan and emigrated to NZ in 03 - Saphire Silver Metalic - factory proximity sensors - 2 TV aerials and no TV Hidden Content

The manual thing sort of worked out. I thought it was going to be a translated Japanese one, but it looks more like one that would have come with a NZ-new model, with references to Australian and EU requirements.
    It is a brand new 1996 Honda Owners Manual, with part numbers 32SX0820 and 00X32-SXO-8201.
    It'll cover most of what we've got, I'm pleased to get an explanation of the audio controls, and the biggest thing we're missing is the aircon, ours is different.
    Being a manual sort of a perosn, I'm now reading it cover to cover
    97 Odyssey - model LX Plus - born and raised in Japan and emigrated to NZ in 03 - Saphire Silver Metalic - factory proximity sensors - 2 TV aerials and no TV Hidden Content

Another Kiwi owner...

Well, not exactly, a brit living in NZ but near enough...

Just bought a 96 Silver Odyssey here in NZ (first car here, been here for 2 months) and yup, you guessed it, its a Japanese import... so i guess i'm in the same boat you were...

Options on ours are ABS, 2xAirbags, rear parking sensor, satnav/tv, cd, aircon so any help of course would be gratefully received!

Lewis.

Hello, I 'm here.. from Japan...
    hey, we do not have any tax hike here for vehicles older than 6 years old... please!... it all goes by the displacement of the engine, and the weight , no matter how old... Japanese consumer changes his or her car every 4 years, usualy- there is a market for used cars, but depriciation is great, as milage grows... that is the reason why there's uninterrupted flow of used cars going south.
    my point of view, that is...
    R A 5 '97
    JDM 1st gen
    Glass roof.
    3.0 24v VTEC V6 engine.
    Power folding mirrors.Hidden Content
    Rear sway bar.
    Climate control.
    Some exterior/interior/ audio/video mods.
    Hidden Content

as for trim levels(US) or Grades(JP) there are six for first gen Ody in japan: B the earliest '94 , the cheapest one---rare now
    S often seen most simple , with mirrors being always black,
    M medium, a little more luxury
    L Luxury- highest grade for a 4-cilinder Ody
    VG V6 only.
    VZ V6 only, top of the line- rare and expensive
    hope this could be a little help
    R A 5 '97
    JDM 1st gen
    Glass roof.
    3.0 24v VTEC V6 engine.
    Rear sway bar.
    Climate control.
    Hidden Content

yeah, every 4-cilinder version was offerd as 2wd or 4wd, by choise..
    in addition, for any grade, you could choose a 6-seater, or 7-seater configuration.... and then , the 2.2L engine was replaced with 2.3L VTEC in 1997... so, total number of different drive-train-seating configurations for first gen odysseys from Japan is equal----36 that's a lot....LOL.. as for complectation levels, they are six, as I mentioned above-- but the most widly known are four: (from cheapest to most expensive): S, M, L , VG.
    R A 5 '97
    JDM 1st gen
    Glass roof.
    3.0 24v VTEC V6 engine.
    Rear sway bar.
    Climate control.
    Hidden Content

Online manuals

Bob, Have you explored Honda OwnerLink site? https://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/login.asp I believe if you register, you may be able to download the manual. Somewhere in the Odyclub are posts for online manuals.

Thanks guys. I finally solved my handbook/manual issue with http://www.jpnz.co.nz/home.html who translate the Japanese handbooks (and manuals presumably) into English. So for NZ$50 or so I got a handbook which covered all our extra bits (Grade options as they are caled). So at last I got an explanation of the corner/parking sensors, and the climate control is covered.

Thanks for the tips.

Cool Hi from NZ

Hi there...sorry to dig up an old thread but I couldn't resist. I too am a Kiwi and hopefully by Wed next week I'll be a proud Ody owner. We are looking at a 1998 V6 3ltr which is almost identical to a friends one.

What a cool site this is with loads of great info.

regards

Aaron

welcome

Aaron,
    is that a picture of an ody you are looking to buy?
    pearl white "prestige" looks the best.
    R A 5 '97
    JDM 1st gen
    Glass roof.
    3.0 24v VTEC V6 engine.
    Rear sway bar.
    Climate control.
    Hidden Content

18. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast