Thing after thing ...
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Thread: Thing after thing ...

Thing after thing ...

Been a while since I made a thread.

Tell you what when it rains it pours.

I've for a while thought I had a wheel bearing going bad for probably a year (stock OEM is tough, at least) and it has got to the point where it's howling like a mother.

Wife was going for an alignment and before you know it they had a rear caliper apart and said it was roasted. So I have two semi new calipers on my van, one by NTB and the other a done ourselves last year.

Anyway, caliper and rotors and new brake pads and labor later I'm out $571 and mind you I don't have credit cards so this all comes right out of my checking. I could had easily done that stuff myself for between 200-300 but of course, they basically held my wife hostage, and she was 40 miles away from home so I guess it's irrelevant it needed done.

Anyway ...

Still bad wheel bearing. So I've got an appointment with my uncle to use his garage tomorrow on Sunday..

Better be the last thing to go wrong for 10k+ miles.

Van has over 230k miles on everything minus the engine.
    Polished Metal Metallic 2011 Insight EX,
    Heathermist Metallic 1995 EX w/ JDM F22B,
    Navajo Red Metallic 1989 LX-i w/ H&R's, Tokico's, Prelude UCA's, Pacesetter exhaust & hollow cat.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

What happened to the engine that deemed a rebuild or a replacement?

I hate it when places do that to you and tell you, you can't drive like that or were not allowed by law to. They seem to do it to women a lot more then men. My mom came into town to visit and decided to get her oil changed becease she get's a free car wash there with it. Anyways, while she's there they tell her, her antifreeze is bad the tranny needs service and that her brakes are worn down to nothing and she can't drive it untill it's fixed. She calls me up and I drive down there with my anit-freeze tester and check everything out, after some argueing with the mechanic. To make a long story short her fluids where all fine, infact she had just had them done 15k before and the front brakes had 15% left and the rears had 40%.
    2004 ody ES with RSE 8 12v and 1100watts worth of power.

At least the NTB she was at wasn't flat out lying. She told me that it felt like she had a brake on when she was driving to the place after work for her appointment, and it was making quite the hideous metallic grinding noise.

The lower balance shaft seal popped out and ruined the engine when my wife was driving down the interstate. She saw the light and took it off the nearest exit with a gas station and even managed to park it but the damage had been done. Camshaft snapped and the head melted down. Who knows what the bottom end looked like we never checked, figured it was toast or pointless to reuse it.

I just got off the phone with my wife and a package from FedEx I've been trying to get delivered for days, the FedEx driver finally gets there and the metal rod that sticks in the ground came out from the rainy weather so my wife is holding the steel cable and my dog (70lbs siberian husky mix, 25% elkhound) managed to get free from my wife and brings the FedEx driver to the ground and bites one of his fingers or hand or something.

It's still pouring ... now I guess I get to deal with a pending lawsuit and I'm pretty damn broke at this point of the year with Christmas.
    Navajo Red Metallic 1989 LX-i w/ H&R's, Tokico's, Prelude UCA's, Pacesetter exhaust & hollow cat.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Hey Zwolfe,

Sorry to here about your troubles so close to Christmas. I was wondering about your wheel bearing trouble. Do you have a shimmy in your steering wheel left/right? I have this annoying shimmy and I suspect that's my cause. I tried rotating tires, servicing brakes, etc.
    2007 Odyssey EXL 105,000km
    2011 Civic SE 40,000km
    '95 Odyssey 289,000km SOLD!
    '99 Civic 4dr SE 160,000km - Totalled by deer
    '92 Civic 446,000km SOLD!

Sorry to hear about that, hopefully the driver is one of those people with a "sh%t happens" attitude.
    2004 ody ES with RSE 8 12v and 1100watts worth of power.

My uncle and I just got done with the wheel bearing. Started at 1PM finished at 7PM. Things didn't quite go 100% according to plan, and didn't have special tools (shop press could had helped).

But about the home owners thing first. Own a home, and the property, sort of.

My father technically owns this place, my family and I moved in here and I paid him month by month what the place cost him.

Never did transfer the deed over, although I could have that done whenever I feel like it.

Have no insurance on the place. Mainly because I need to get the hot water heater replaced. Until then home owners wouldn't help me out in the event of the place turning into a fireball.

Anyway, I have about 200 (150? lol!) bucks to my name right at the moment outside of my (pathetic, losing money each week that I put in) 401K, and three old automobiles.

It's hard to mint gold from a pile of coal.

So yea I'm a poor sob but whatever. At least I own my name.

Getting the wheel bearing assembly out was a pain in the ass.

One of the hardest parts was getting the damn rotor off ironically ...

Took well over a half hour of beating on that damn rotor. So I had to go get another for $41 from Advance. Also managed to slide the damn axle out on accident and had to re-band it.

Finally managed to get the rotor off by using a chisel and a hammer slowing prying around the outside of it.

My uncle even used to run and operate a garage and he told me he'd never experienced such a pain in the ass rotor ever before in his life. Our luck, right?

We even used a sedaline torch on that sob. Didn't help. Had to pry with a chisel and a weighty hammer.

We finally get the old bearing assembly out and had to use an air cutter to cut out the old bearing unit the circular part that the axle slides into and put that part into the new bearing assembly unit (hub).

This job wouldn't had been that damn rough but we didn't have proper press tools and that rotor was like none other.

dpkelly:

The wheel bearing wasn't so bad that you could grab the top and bottom of the tire and rock it.

It was actually still in half decent condition but you could feel a slight grind and it howled like a mother.

It didn't start to wiggle until well into our hammering the piss out of the rotor.

I can say tho, the Odyssey rides really really well after replacement of the wheel bearing but that could perfectly be all in my mind.

Considering it didn't wiggle until all of the brute force stuff, I'd be inclined to say that it is all in my mind. But maybe not?

I did note a couple times on the way back "damn this rides smooth as can be" on the way home but I unfortunately didn't note how it was on the way out to my uncles garage. I was too occupied listening to that horrid howling noise and being hopeful that it wouldn't seize and flip my dang van (or try).

Super Moderator
    Originally posted by my_dogs_ody
    PLAY THE LOTTO! With your spell of bad luck, you're over-due for some good news and luck!
    Well with odds at 1:13,839,093 that might be a problem?

Originally posted by Zwolfe
    My uncle even used to run and operate a garage and he told me he'd never experienced such a pain in the ass rotor ever before in his life. Our luck, right?
    If that ever happens to you again, try an air impact chisel/hammer. Sounds weird I know, but a few quick chisel bursts on the face of the hub between the studs and that rotor will fall right off. The force of the impact blows breaks the rust and fused areas free.

Joel
    2008 Honda Ody LX babe magnet.
    2012 Subaru Legacy 2.5i CVT.
    Vehicles of the past: 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe, 2007 Chevy Cobalt LS, 2001 Windstar, 2005 Trailblazer 4x4, 2002 Isuzu Rodeo 4x4 and lots more Hidden Content

12. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements