Turbocharged 3.5l - Page 2
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Turbocharged 3.5l

It'd be a heckuva lot easier to have a tranny builder make your transmission nuts, then just stick a nitrous kit on it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Wow none of you frequent speedhunters.com like I do... I've been drooling over this ody for weeks... Anything is possible with $$$$$$$ just Ask Bisimoto... 1000+ HP 6spd manual trans ody... Burnouts For All The Family. The 1029hp Minivan | Speedhunters
    '06 Accord SE - daily grinder
    '06 Odyssey EX - family hauler

Long old thread but turbo can indeed be done on the van, it is a headache and a half but it can be done.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by OdyVanMan04 View Post
    thank you, i had lots of help from the turbododge forum, the reason people pick late 90s caravans to boost is cause the drivetrains in them are same as the stealth and mitsubishi so they can handle a good beating,...
    Man, I just love watching these Mitsu-monster-boosted old Caravans eating up muscle cars during bracket events posted on Youtube.

One of the number of guys who've done this actually used a Ford Powerstroke FMIC...the inlet & outlet horns were a nice fit, almost like it was made that way in the first place.

This is one of my favorites:

Note the ET & trap speed at the end. If you're thinking how that matches, it means that van was really getting off its hind legs and starting to march hard approaching the 1/8-mile point. In short, even with a bad launch & poor 60-foot time, once at that point he could wave bye-bye to a lot of other vehicles in his mirror on any given run.

I'd pay money to see one of these in Europe, head-to-head against an AMG Mercedes on a standing 1/2-kilometer drag race.

OdyVanMan04, I can't imagine how much fun you had with your Dodge turbo Mitsu motor ride. It's the only setup where you can bring your family, all the other guys watch your kids pile out of the van, you put on the slicks, and then go tear up the strip.

I followed one guy's build online, and had to laugh when he related how the event safety & tech guys asked him, "Hey, where's your driveshaft hoop? We can't find one...actually, we can't even find the driveshaft...."

OF
    2003 Ody EX-L RES 188k miles, OEM fogs & hitch, bbylon5 screen mod, ckonarske fog mod#2, cnn 82C t-stat mod, Tru-Cool Max, OT1 ATF tstat
    2002 Ody EX RES 197k, Ditto
    1998 Accord LX 238k, Haynes 676 ATF cooler
    1982 Ebbtide DynaTrak bass boat, 200hp Merc, DIY re-fit 2006-07: CMC jackplate, Teleflex Canada Steering, Torque-Shift 14-26 vari-pitch SS prop
    SNAPPER mower 5.5hp Honda

Hidden Content

If you're going to put a turbo, do it right or don't do it at all. Doing a legit turbo is going to cost $7k+. All these eBay turbo kits are crap. You really think a $200 add-on kit is going to do the same as what the Bisimoto will do? Don't kid yourself. There's a reason why it's $200 vs $7k. The internals of the car will need to be modified as well as modifications. The stock engine won't be able to handle that amount power.
    2015 Odyssey EX-L [Alabaster Silver/Truffle Interior]
    - LEDs: Full VLEDS Interior LED conversion | Morimoto 2Stroke 2.0 LED Headlights | VLEDS V3 Triton LED Turn Signals [Front: Switchback | Rear: Amber] | VLEDS LED Brake Lights
    - Interior: V1 Radar Detector with BlendMount | WeatherTech Digital Floorliner | OEM Trunk Tray
    - Exterior: Disabled DRL | OEM Fogs | Splash Guards | WeatherTech Window Deflector | Tinted Front Windows | Remote Start
    - Engine: Max Muzzler (VCM Muzzler Clone)

This was my favorite haahaha

why hate on this? jelous much
    Quote Originally Posted by iazybandit View Post
    If you're going to put a turbo, do it right or don't do it at all. Doing a legit turbo is going to cost $7k+. All these eBay turbo kits are crap. You really think a $200 add-on kit is going to do the same as what the Bisimoto will do? Don't kid yourself. There's a reason why it's $200 vs $7k. The internals of the car will need to be modified as well as modifications. The stock engine won't be able to handle that amount power.
    Have you tried google?

The old Caravan turbos were easy to do because the motor was the same as the Chrysler Conquest (Mitsubishi Starion). You just head swapped a Conquest head onto your Caravan (with the manifolds, intercooler, turbo, etc.) and bam, turbo mini-van (ok so it's a little more complicated than that but you get the idea). The odyssey has no such turbocharged cousin so everything has to be custom made which is either difficult, time-consuming, expensive, or all-of-the-above. It would be a fun project though.
    -2008 Odyssey Touring
    -KGB World Formula Kart

Quote Originally Posted by iazybandit View Post
    The Mitsu-based I-4's were probably the least expensive way to a solid turbo motor with respectable power gains across the entire rev band. Follow some of the builds online. The Odyssey V6 and its combination or bore and stroke would respond fairly decently (not great) to turbocharging, but these little Mitsubishis are in a class by themselves when it comes to a basic engine construction responding well to forced induction. Dollars spent per horsepower gained with those little motors is amazing....it's probably the most cost-effective platform out there.

I would love to have one of the older Eagle AWD wagons with a turbo setup. Can you imagine four driven wheels down a quarter mile? It'd be incredible.

OF
    Last edited by 0dyfamily; 03-03-2015 at 10:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OdyVanMan04 View Post
    why hate on this? jelous much
    Jealous of a cheap eBay kit for $200? Oh yes...I'm soooooooo jealous. /sarcasm

As I stated, there is a reason why legit engine modifications costs thousands of dollars. Enjoy your blown engine. I rather spend $200 on a fortune teller/palm reader telling me that I'm going to be the next Bill Gates.

Quote Originally Posted by 0dyfamily View Post
    The Mitsu-based I-4's were probably the least expensive way to a solid turbo motor with respectable power gains across the entire rev band. Follow some of the builds online. The Odyssey V6 and its combination or bore and stroke would respond fairly decently (not great) to turbocharging, but these little Mitsubishis are in a class by themselves when it comes to a basic engine construction responding well to forced induction. Dollars spent per horsepower gained with those little motors is amazing....it's probably the most cost-effective platform out there.

I would love to have one of the older Eagle AWD wagons with a turbo setup. Can you imagine four driven wheels down a quarter mile? It'd be incredible.

OF
    I'm sure a legit turbo in a stock engine will respond well to forced induction. But overtime, I'm sure it will give problems and cracks. Of course, everything has its limits. I just hate these stupid eBay ads advertising that their turbos and try and pass off as a real turbo. There are eBay ads that advertise that a single chip can make your car a turbo.
    Last edited by iazybandit; 03-13-2015 at 03:17 PM.
    2015 Odyssey EX-L [Alabaster Silver/Truffle Interior]
    - LEDs: Full VLEDS Interior LED conversion | Morimoto 2Stroke 2.0 LED Headlights | VLEDS V3 Triton LED Turn Signals [Front: Switchback | Rear: Amber] | VLEDS LED Brake Lights
    - Interior: V1 Radar Detector with BlendMount | WeatherTech Digital Floorliner | OEM Trunk Tray
    - Exterior: Disabled DRL | OEM Fogs | Splash Guards | WeatherTech Window Deflector | Tinted Front Windows | Remote Start
    - Engine: Max Muzzler (VCM Muzzler Clone)

Mitsubishi motors in that time frame were all tremendously well-built, mainly since it was less expensive to do so from a parts commonality standpoint...they had a lot of their product line that had forced induction.

Our Odysseys enjoy no such parts commonality with sibling turbo-Hondas...because there aren't any. Back "in the day", Mitsubishi (and partner Chrysler and Eagle products) had a large number of turbo cars & wagons delivering the goods reliably.

I don't think anybody's arguing that ebay anything is not the way to go for a serious build.

However, OdyVanMan04 is one of those guys who actually built a solid turbo platform from the short-block on up to the FMIC without breaking the bank. That he got to have some reliable & powerful minivan turbo fun for a good price...he11 yeah, I'm jealous. True, that's something we can't easily do with any Ody. If I ever get enough kids out of the house so that I can ever again have a serious car hobby, you can bet I'll ring him up for the details on how to make one of these work, turbo-style:

Eagle Summit AWD family wagon. Sounds like my kind of ride.

Keep your Camaro away from this guy, for certain. I mean, who needs the embarrassment of getting kicked to the curb by a family car?

OF

Thanks Odyfamily give me a call anytime for that info, and for everyone else just so were clear it was an ebay kit worth well under 1000, we used everything except the turbo that is the weak spot for most ebay kits, we used a junkyard turbo from a shelf($150) but looked almost identical, and the van still drives around today with the stock motor and same ebay turbo setup,,, have yet to get him up beside my Honda van(no chance I could win but)...I have front and rear dash cams so I can catch it on video... I really should jimmy rig a turbo under my ody hood soon but worried about the trans.....
    Have you tried google?

i think the main issue is your ECU, so who and what will tune it after the turbo kit? Which ECU are you going to use? Hondata? I don't know, i'm just throwing a name out there.
    Turbo kits are nothing but plumbing, especially, ebay ones. It's easy and you could pretty much source it yourself. The most expensive parts are the turbo,turbo manifold, ecu, and the tuning. Personally, I wouldn't use an Ebay turbo. Everything else is ok to use Ebay, IMO. Obviously, not the ECU. If you use an ebay manifold, double check the welds on the manfold and reweld if necessary before putting it on. Usually, the problem w/ these are fitment. holes may not align or large enough...etc.

Speakin of weak gears! Couldn't we try to cryro treat the gears..... atx guys have been putting shift kits ( lube dams) that keep things better lubed..... and need to firm up the shifts some....

Open the fill plug on a B7TA or BYBA transmission (for 2002-early 2004 BYBA 5-speed, you have to remove the second gear oil jet).

Now, look into that open port...you can see the 2nd gear cluster. Visually, it's not awe-inspiring in terms of robustness.

OF

18. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast