Turbocharged 3.5l - Page 3
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Turbocharged 3.5l

I built a turbo Civic back in the early 2000's, cost about $4K and I ran Hondata 3BD (like an S300 today). Still have the car, but I pulled the turbo on it and shelved it. Wasn't gonna pass emissions like that since I ran an open downpipe.

I also bought a turbo Civic, built D16Y8 and dyno tuned to 270 hp at the wheels. Ridiculous to drive. So much fun!! Then emissions laws changed and now IT can't pass emissions because of the ECU being tuned so it has no OBD2 communication. Still have this car as well, not sure what I'll do with it.

I will also likely be turbocharging my 93 Saturn wagon at some point. plan is to use the turbo out of the Civic and a megasquirt ECU for tuning. That car only gets a tailpipe test, so I should have no issue passing.

But I doubt I would turbo the Odyssey. If I was to build a fast van on the cheap, I'd get a Montana and swap in a supercharged Grand Prix or Regal engine in there... or GXP or whatever they call them. Easy plug and play, all bolt in, emissions legal, loads of performance parts. Can prob get about 400 hp from a mostly stock block bolt-in swap. Little air to water intercooling, little overdriving pulley, little tuning... have a fast Montana. Also lowered suspension options from the W-body cars and Pontiac Torrent rims, have a bomb little van for prob less than $4K all in. Maybe even less!

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

we took it to the quarter mile once and made 2 passes, the first pass they thought there computer malfunctioned, on the second pass we were told we couldnt go down the track again until we had a proper seatbelt cage and shut off switch...that was on street tires.
    Quote Originally Posted by 0dyfamily View Post
    Man, I just love watching these Mitsu-monster-boosted old Caravans eating up muscle cars during bracket events posted on Youtube.

One of the number of guys who've done this actually used a Ford Powerstroke FMIC...the inlet & outlet horns were a nice fit, almost like it was made that way in the first place.

This is one of my favorites:

Note the ET & trap speed at the end. If you're thinking how that matches, it means that van was really getting off its hind legs and starting to march hard approaching the 1/8-mile point. In short, even with a bad launch & poor 60-foot time, once at that point he could wave bye-bye to a lot of other vehicles in his mirror on any given run.

I'd pay money to see one of these in Europe, head-to-head against an AMG Mercedes on a standing 1/2-kilometer drag race.

OdyVanMan04, I can't imagine how much fun you had with your Dodge turbo Mitsu motor ride. It's the only setup where you can bring your family, all the other guys watch your kids pile out of the van, you put on the slicks, and then go tear up the strip.

I followed one guy's build online, and had to laugh when he related how the event safety & tech guys asked him, "Hey, where's your driveshaft hoop? We can't find one...actually, we can't even find the driveshaft...."

OF
    Have you tried google?

I used MSD setups that are designed to piggy back any stock system and work great, saves on a $3000 stand alone computer
    Quote Originally Posted by wusta515 View Post
    i think the main issue is your ECU, so who and what will tune it after the turbo kit? Which ECU are you going to use? Hondata? I don't know, i'm just throwing a name out there.
    Turbo kits are nothing but plumbing, especially, ebay ones. It's easy and you could pretty much source it yourself. The most expensive parts are the turbo,turbo manifold, ecu, and the tuning. Personally, I wouldn't use an Ebay turbo. Everything else is ok to use Ebay, IMO. Obviously, not the ECU. If you use an ebay manifold, double check the welds on the manfold and reweld if necessary before putting it on. Usually, the problem w/ these are fitment. holes may not align or large enough...etc.
    Have you tried google?

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123