Turbocharged 3.5l
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Turbocharged 3.5l

Turbocharged 3.5l

I am trying to find a way to turbo my van and then i came across this wonderful thing on ebay and was wondering if that is the motor out of the 2nd gen ody? And another thing is what kind of kit is it if it does fit? Also in the 2nd link, if this kit would work on my ody too.

2004 Tec 3 Sand Rail Dune Buggy Vtec 3.5 honda v6 350hp turbo charger SANDRAIL in Dune Buggies / Sand Rails | eBay Motors

T04E 24PC TURBO KIT+MANIFOLD+DOWNPIPE+INTERCOOLER 98-02 HONDA ACCORD V6 3L J30A1 | eBay

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Does anyone have any idea about this?

Bump

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

does anyone have any say or know how of this at all?

I think the answer is in the specs. It says it fits a 98 or 99 Accord 3 liter J30 engine. Your gen 2 Ody has a 3.5 liter J35 engine. Compatibility seems a long shot.
    2002 Odyssey EX Fern (Granite) Green
    Honda hood protector, stainless steel flex brake lines, Honda block heater, AC condenser screen, Zymol wax
    151,000 miles/243,000 kilometres; original transmission; Amsoil MV ATF since 79,000 miles/127,000 kilometres; Magnefine aux ATF filter; Honda aux ATF cooler; 19 drain and fills

Not to mention, what are you going to do about the rather weak tranny?
    When I use this smilie ===> Hidden Content I am NOT calling you stupid. Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the Hidden Content .

2007 EX-L R&N, Slate Green with Olive (couldn't muster up the courage to trade my 1999 baby) ... Ours

2001 Emerald Green Pearl Accord V6-LX (Replaced the POS Taurus) ... Hers ...
    ..... Tranny replaced 6/4/08 @ 67,977 miles.
    ..... Tranny strarted slipping only 8,414 miles after the replacemnt.
    ..... 2nd tranny replacement 9/21/2009 @ 76,659 miles.
    1999 Sterling Mist Nissan Maxima SE with Bose and 6 Disc CD Changer in the trunk ... All Mine

1993 Maroon Ford Taurus GL (Was a POS after the clock turned 60K Miles) ... Traded for the Accord

alexmish1's Hidden Content
    alexmish1's Hidden Content

just was curious if there was any turbo parts out there, and also with the tranny issue, i have a buddy that rebuilds trannys for a living so i would let him handle it for me.

You can pretty much turbo charge anything if you can find a turbo manifold and turbo to fit under the hood. Also there would be a mountain of other things to address such as ECU, IC, piping, fuel delivery, down pipe - exhaust connections, sensors...etc. As far as a prepackaged kit I'm not too familiar that there's anything on the market. I know a few 3rd Gen TL owners have gone forced induction. You're better off doing what they did vs. buying a 900 ebay kit. I can tell you that $900 on any turbo kit is going to get you a box full of junk.

well, last year i had a 97 dodge caravan with a 6g72 3.0L SOHC , the same motors used in the dodge stealth and mitsubishi 3000gt cars, except those cars have DOHC and the motor would not fit under my caravan hood so i built some exhaust manifolds log style and a turbo mount crosover pipe, basically everything was custom except the $1000 universal ebay turbo kit, i had to instal an MSD 6a ignition and an MSD boost control box to retard the timing under boost(MSD setup was $800), installed a piggyback fuel pump booster,had to port and polish the intake plenum for the extra air, also installed plenum spacers to even out the air curves inside the intake, when all was said and done with all the extras i was into it for around $2500 ,,, ime not sure what the hp was cause there is no dyno around here but i could get 3rd gear rubber out of it (automatic 4 speed) and eat any mustang or import around, my buddy that helped with the build figured it should have around 450hp,,, it was really hard driving around town even with the boost turned down, needless to say it was kinda hairy driving it almost too much power for a minivan and my wife so i sold it to buy the odyssey, ...

That's an impressive build! Amazing that the engine rotating parts and drivetrain could handle that much power.
    Honda hood protector, stainless steel flex brake lines, Honda block heater, AC condenser screen, Zymol wax
    151,000 miles/243,000 kilometres; original transmission; Amsoil MV ATF since 79,000 miles/127,000 kilometres; Magnefine aux ATF filter; Honda aux ATF cooler; 19 drain and fills

Quote Originally Posted by davedrivesody View Post
    That's an impressive build! Amazing that the engine rotating parts and drivetrain could handle that much power.
    thank you, i had lots of help from the turbododge forum, the reason people pick late 90s caravans to boost is cause the drivetrains in them are same as the stealth and mitsubishi so they can handle a good beating, my plan in the begining was to boost my ody as well but low and behold a week after i got it the tranny dumps, from what ive read even a rebuilt trans probably wont handle much more horsepower. I think that the ody would handle boost if it had a standard trans,,, is there one that fits? ime ok with modifications if there needed.

If you search the site, you will find several folks who have investigated a standard transmission for the Ody. None was found.

It sounds like the One Lap of America Ody had a standard transmission, but it could have been a custom made...

Quote Originally Posted by wscan View Post
    It sounds like the One Lap of America Ody had a standard transmission, but it could have been a custom made...
    might be custom, isnt that a jdm version?

Quote Originally Posted by 03hondaody View Post
    I am trying to find a way to turbo my van and then i came across this wonderful thing on ebay and was wondering if that is the motor out of the 2nd gen ody? And another thing is what kind of kit is it if it does fit? Also in the 2nd link, if this kit would work on my ody too.
    2004 Tec 3 Sand Rail Dune Buggy Vtec 3.5 honda v6 350hp turbo charger SANDRAIL in Dune Buggies / Sand Rails | eBay Motors
    T04E 24PC TURBO KIT+MANIFOLD+DOWNPIPE+INTERCOOLER 98-02 HONDA ACCORD V6 3L J30A1 | eBay
    That kit on ebay could be a STARTING point. Read the ad and you will see the part where it says "professional installation recommended. No instructions included.". You are basically buying a bunch of parts. That is just asking for trouble. If you have the time and money to play with a motor till you get it right, then this is a good start. If you are trying to get an out of box package that is ready to go, this will only get you into a lot of trouble. Then you need to worry if the rest of the drivetrain can handle the additional HP. This "cheap" kit is actually very expensive.
    ---------------
    Alex
    __O
    _-\<,_
    (_)/ (_)

2012 Odyssey EX-L

18. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast