My new Rear Sway Bar. - Page 3
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My new Rear Sway Bar.

I'll check in more often if things are happening if this thread.
    ---------------------------------------------
    '02 Ody EX-L
    "Aardvaark" Version II. Rear anti-sway bar.
    Astrostart 903 remote starter.
    "Aardvaark" reverse vent window mod.
    Hayden 677 ATF cooler.
    Cold weather reverse clunk tranny.
    Running happy on 5W30.

1975 Opel Manta.

1963 Ford Thunderbird Landau Coupe. Factory a/c.
    Running happy on 10W40.

'87 Honda HR214SXA mower (No mods).
    '04 Honda HS520A snow blower (No mods).

SCCA member since 1973.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

I'll check in more often if things are happening in this thread.
    '02 Ody EX-L
    Hayden 677 ATF cooler.
    Running happy on 5W30.

1975 Opel Manta.

Running happy on 10W40.

SCCA member since 1973.

Subscribed. This is now on my wish list.
    00 Odyssey EX - 305K, Acura leather wheel, Civic bucket seats, Kenwood and Sony sound, Monroe load-adjusting shocks
    04 Volvo V70 T5M - turbo, stick, Konis, swaybars: a real Sport Utility Vehicle
    06 Mazda5 - the runabout - Gone to the Mother-in-Law
    01 Outback LL Bean - no mods but fluids, 100% full-synth all around

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Really interested in trying this on our 04 EX, is it possible to get diagram/dimmensions for this project? anyway SUBSCRIBED.

Yes. I'll email my drawing and material list to you if you give me your email.
    '02 Ody EX-L
    Hayden 677 ATF cooler.
    Running happy on 5W30.

1975 Opel Manta.

Running happy on 10W40.

SCCA member since 1973.

i've been keeping up w/ this thread periodically. We just purchased a 2012 EX last year. I haven't gotten a chance to look under. Do you if the rear suspension is similar to the previous gen? I'm interested in some sorta swaybar setup for my ody. thanks!

IDK of anybody that has done one for the current generation. A quick look at your year makes me think it will require some new planning and engineering different from the one I did.
    Last edited by Aardvaark; 08-24-2016 at 10:04 AM.
    '02 Ody EX-L
    Hayden 677 ATF cooler.
    Running happy on 5W30.

1975 Opel Manta.

Running happy on 10W40.

SCCA member since 1973.

I know this is an older topic, but I am going to do this mod. The feel of a car after a rear sway bar install is insane. Especially if the car did not come with one from the factory.

I know this because on my 1990 CRX HF, it came with no rear bar. The Si would have come with a 14mm factory bar (small), but not the HF. I added a 22mm solid bar and I tell you what.... Turn in was like, if you blink, you missed it. Turn in is ultra quick and well controlled. I can't imagine this boat of a van would feel so much better and more confident driving with a rear sway bar of some sort. I bet a 25mm sway bar helps tremendously.

Thanks guys!!!

nice job, but a pilot sway bar bolts right up with very minor mods
    Have you tried google?

Quote Originally Posted by OdyVanMan04 View Post
    nice job, but a pilot sway bar bolts right up with very minor mods
    Which model years? Can you please provide a link, if somebody has posted this online?

You're talking about the rear bar, correct?

The 1999-2001 Odys handled better (I owned one for a few years). They had a 24mm FSB. 2002-2004 got a watered-down 22mm FSB.

Back to the rear bar...Montana had some damage occur to his 2002 Odyssey's floor pan, and he removed his RSB setup

Me...I'm still struggling to figure a way to install that Chassis Engineering 7/8" (~22mm) RSB onto my 2003 EX. One of the local hot rod builders suggested I get some rather large pieces fab'd up to serve as points to attach the bar bushing mounts, with those pieces attached to the mounting points for the trailer hitch. I'm almost seeing what he means, but that'll be a stout bit of metal and welding (for mounts and attachment points on the rear LCA's).

Gotta replace the timing chains on my Altima before I tackle any more work on my 2003 EX (for now, it's my daily driver).

OF

Okay, so I have 3 sway bars for test fitting.

A set of sway bars made by Eibach meant for a 2010 Chevy Corvette. The front bar is hollow and is like ~29mm, and the rear bar is around ~17mm.

And I also have a rear sway bar meant for a 2015 Toyota Tundra, this bar is solid and is like 30mm.

So far the Corvette FSB is fitting like a glove. It seems it's going to mount in a pretty good location, almost exactly like what aardvark has done. This Vette bar is really light to, so I'm hoping it will bend a bit more than the solid bar that Aardvark is using. This should result in less stress to the mount points and should require less "beefing". I am still going to back up all mount points with extra metal.

Wish me luck guys!! I'm working on this tomorrow. I will try to provide pics if I can....

a 2010 pilot sway bar is what fit best, we never drove the van we put it on but it fit perfect we just had to weld sway bar link tabs on the rear, there is even already holes drilled for the sway bar bushings, almost like there a shared part between the ody and pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by 0dyfamily View Post
    Which model years? Can you please provide a link, if somebody has posted this online?

You're talking about the rear bar, correct?

The 1999-2001 Odys handled better (I owned one for a few years). They had a 24mm FSB. 2002-2004 got a watered-down 22mm FSB.

Back to the rear bar...Montana had some damage occur to his 2002 Odyssey's floor pan, and he removed his RSB setup

Me...I'm still struggling to figure a way to install that Chassis Engineering 7/8" (~22mm) RSB onto my 2003 EX. One of the local hot rod builders suggested I get some rather large pieces fab'd up to serve as points to attach the bar bushing mounts, with those pieces attached to the mounting points for the trailer hitch. I'm almost seeing what he means, but that'll be a stout bit of metal and welding (for mounts and attachment points on the rear LCA's).

Gotta replace the timing chains on my Altima before I tackle any more work on my 2003 EX (for now, it's my daily driver).

OF
    Have you tried google?

So, you never actually fitted it to a finished installation with a test drive to make sure it works?

I've propped up a couple different bars (last one was from a 1st gen Tundra) that "looked" okay, but the proof is actually doing it. So far, I'm on the "can't make it work" group of people.

I have to give 0204's setup a look when he posts more pic in his thread. If his "beef up" setup looks stout, I might attempt it; however, the luggage well sheet metal on my 2003 EX sure is insanely thin and flexible.

OF

no never got to drive it but there would be no reason it wouldnt function, the van needed an inspection and became to much to finish, still have the van so i will get under it and snap some pics if i can
    Quote Originally Posted by 0dyfamily View Post
    So, you never actually fitted it to a finished installation with a test drive to make sure it works?

I've propped up a couple different bars (last one was from a 1st gen Tundra) that "looked" okay, but the proof is actually doing it. So far, I'm on the "can't make it work" group of people.

I have to give 0204's setup a look when he posts more pic in his thread. If his "beef up" setup looks stout, I might attempt it; however, the luggage well sheet metal on my 2003 EX sure is insanely thin and flexible.

OF
    Have you tried google?

I posted up a pic in the thread I started showing the top mounts for those interested in doing your own RSB mod.

It took me roughly 3 to 4 hours to install this bar myself. Probably could have done it quicker, but I like to take my time because I didn't want it to be wrong.

And BTW, the rear mounts are pretty close to the edge of where the uni-body makes a 90 degree turn. These points were very sturdy and are so far (2 weeks of daily driving) has proven that these mounts are not flexing. I take corners hard sometimes, and so far so good.
    2002 Ody EX Evergreen Pearl 182K miles - Hayden 403, 25mm rear sway bar, Pioneer USB radio, Alpine MRP-T130 amp, JL Audio 12w3
    2004 Ody EX-L Starlight Silver Metallic 142K miles - Hayden 403, Rockville 10" slim sub
    1990 CRX HF Frost White 382K miles - ZC SOHC JDM 1.6L, Si trans, Neuspeed 2" springs, Tokico Illumina, ST 22mm sway bars, 15x7 RPF1, Skunk2 IM/TB, Stillen K&N, Pioneer USB radio, Phoenix Gold EQ215iX, Crossfire CFA202, Bose 3" tweets, 5.4" Boston Pros, Sony XM-DS1300P5, JL Audio 10w1

18. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast