Manual trans conversion - Page 3
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Manual trans conversion

Super Moderator
    Originally posted by scoutmasterdave
    I find it humorous that some of you cannot see the value of a manual transmission in a minivan, even telling the poster to "grow up". It's not a juvenile thing to want a manual transmission.

I had actually sworn off automatics for life; every automatic my wife and I had owned had croaked at some point, and I'm tired of having to worry about it. We seriously considered the Mazda5 (75%-scale minivan), and one of the major reasons is that it's available with a manual. The Odyssey eventually won out because it has more cargo space and the Mazda A/C system is not adequate for three-row seating, but I view the auto tranny in the Odyssey as a significant drawback.

Let's examine the pros and cons of an automatic vs. a manual:

Pros: convenience

Cons: relatively poor reliability, limited control over gear selection, maintenance, cost

I just don't see the value of an automatic, and if a simple swap were available, I would seriously consider doing it when my automatic bites the dust.
    Contact the racing crew in the video I mentioned in this thread. They have adapted the Acura 6 speed tranny to their Ody.

Good luck!

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Wow, I wasnt aware there were so many closed-minded people here....

It seems that as soon as a manual trans is mentioned, most seem to knock the idea and only associate a manual trans with racing...... try think past that people. To begin with, the auto trans in the Ody is the weakest link in the drivetrain. Swapping it out with a unit that is much more reliable would make for a very dependable van. Just imagine.....all you need is some gear oil every few years......no more buying cases of Honda ATF and swapping every 6 months or trying to get the auto trans filter. It would be nice to have a Honda thats actually.....low maintenance!

On top of that, you can get much better gas mileage with a manual trans. And with the somewhat crappy shift patterns that the Odyssey has, I could see a manual trans making a fairly big difference.

And for the record, there were many vans made with manual transmissions. Other countries still have them in production. Only us lazy Americans want autos in everything except the bottom of the line models and our sports cars.
    2004 Honda Odyssey EX-L

Super Moderator
    But don't forget the clutch, throw out bearing, and pressure plate replacements. These are pretty expensive too???

I like manual trannies except in bumper to bumper traffic. My first vehicle was a Ford pick up with 3 on the column....

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Originally posted by chiody
    But don't forget the clutch, throw out bearing, and pressure plate replacements. These are pretty expensive too???
    I agree. But in the long run, the manual trans would be much less expensive in the maintenance department.

The parts you mentioned can get pricey, but so does case after case of ATF. Not to mention tranny rebuilds/replacements that are so common with the Odys are quite pricey as well
    2004 Honda Odyssey EX-L

Now that I think of it, for anyone who wants to manually shift sometimes but let the auto do its thing the other times, theres always the option of a clutchless shift controll kit. Go with some paddle shifters and have the best of both worlds. Cheaper than the trans swap and you still get the auto when your lazy. Something like this.....http://awshifting.com/controller.htm
    2004 Honda Odyssey EX-L

=07 Ody EX=
    Livin' the minivan life and lovin' it, well, sort of....

Super Moderator
    Originally posted by amber00dak
    I agree. But in the long run, the manual trans would be much less expensive in the maintenance department.

The parts you mentioned can get pricey, but so does case after case of ATF. Not to mention tranny rebuilds/replacements that are so common with the Odys are quite pricey as well
    Yes the Ody replacements are pricey and more than manual tranny rebuilds. With the exception of DC vans and our Ody, I've never had to have a auto tranny rebuilt. However, the manual ones I've driven for over 50K, did need clutches, pressure plates, throwout bearings, cables, etc....

Super Moderator
    Originally posted by bartman227nj
    Someone has done this, covered in another thread:

https://www.odyclub.com/forums/showth...ighlight=turbo

http://mefeedia.com/entry/3061776/
    -B
    That second link's Ody has a Acura 6 speed manual I recall.

Wink

That second link's Ody has a Acura 6 speed manual I recall.
    In fact I believe you are correct. I got juiced watching that Ody fly around the track. What a riot! However, I don't have the skills or the $$'s to do that.
    Besides my wife is the one who drives it most of the time anyway. She hates drawing attention to herself....

-Bart
    =07 Ody EX=
    Livin' the minivan life and lovin' it, well, sort of....

Super Moderator
    Originally posted by bartman227nj
    In fact I believe you are correct. I got juiced watching that Ody fly around the track. What a riot! However, I don't have the skills or the $$'s to do that.
    Besides my wife is the one who drives it most of the time anyway. She hates drawing attention to herself....

-Bart
    That mini would be the ultimate sandbagger as long as you could quiet it down a bit. The 400 bhp and 6 speed in that ultra light chassis (3K lbs) would whip a whole lot of macho boys....on the straights and twistys....

Yes the Ody replacements are pricey and more than manual tranny rebuilds. With the exception of DC vans and our Ody, I've never had to have a auto tranny rebuilt. However, the manual ones I've driven for over 50K, did need clutches, pressure plates, throwout bearings, cables, etc....
    I had a 1994 Ford Ranger w/ hydraulic clutch that lasted for 160k miles. It cost $700 to replace master cyl., pressure plate, slave cyl., throw-out bearing, etc... This thing was a little wierd in that it had to be topped off with ATF every 15k miles or so.

My father has a '93 Ford Mustang 5.0 w/ cable-operated clutch. He's had to adjust the cable once in 220k miles. Still original friction pack & pressure plate.

I have an '84 Ford F150 w/ 150k miles and all original clutch components.

I would prefer a manual just as my personal preference. I'm not knocking anyone's preference for an auto. Don't knock ours for preferring a manual.
    If it ain't broke, it don't have enough features yet!

2003 EX-L RES

Originally posted by SLVR6
    Really? When we got the Saab it was only one in a 7 state region that was a manual. I agree, I thought it would be common, but people have gotten lazy. The Accord was easy to find, but there are not that many manual's running around. Oh well, I guess I will be the pioneer if I am able to.
    Amen, I hate Autos. Automatics have more maintance, and are much more costly to replace when they fail. Also, as a manual transmission driver Automatics are never in the right gear for me. If you have to have an Automatic, a unit with a "Trip-Tronic" type auto is more preferable. I am picking up my '06 LX on Sunday - has to be the most un-exciting vehicle purchase I have ever made. But I know I am buying the best mini-van on the market.
    2006 Odyssey LX

I like manual trannies except in bumper to bumper traffic. My first vehicle was a Ford pick up with 3 on the column....

You can find used stock flywheels around, at least for most Honda engines. People do upgrade to lightweight pieces or just buy new. A used one can be resurfaced for $50-100.
    The bearing, clutch and pressure plate are at least sometimes sold together. An Accord (same series engine, J) would be around $200
    DD: 1993 Civic CX with '95 GSR swap
    Projects: 1994 Civic EX coupe and LX sedan

I must say if the Odyssey had come in a Manual Trans Option i would have gotten it.. 4 of my 5 cars are manuals... and the cars i had previously were manuals and I'm a girl who loves to drive manual trans cars. My only automatic is the Odyssey.. but i love it and it has great pickup and go plus has given me GREAT gas milage so far.

Good Luck..
    JRankin23

Vehicles Currently Owned:

2005 Honda Odyssey- Taffeta White
    2006 Acura RSX-S- Nighthawk Black Pearl- MT
    1998 Ford Mustang- MT
    1983 Ford Mustang GT 5.0 T-top- MT
    1995 Honda Civic EX- MT- Until it was recently PLOWED by a UPS truck in Feb. 09 (RIP)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Previously Owned:

1999 Honda Odyssey
    1986 Ford Mustang- MT

Re: Re: Re: Manual tranny minivan

actually yeah it was on base models but you could get it with awd,I used to own one with the 5 speed and awd,damn that thing had a low fifth it shot from 65-90 better than a supercharged one!!!!

Originally posted by Wayne Lim
    A manual tranny could also be had in the first few model years of the Toyota Previa, and I believe it was also only on their base model.

Wayne

18. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast