Manual trans conversion - Page 4
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Manual trans conversion

Given my druthers, I'd prefer a nice six-speed auto with paddle shifters on the steering wheel or a straightline progressive shifter.

That way you'd get the benefit of satisfyingly sporty driving on undulating roads -- matching gear selection with speed, braking, cornering, and road conditions generally -- as well as convenience in traffic.

Of course, in the real world, I'd settle for Honda just giving us actual access to all five gears, but that's never going to happen: They think it's a bus.

Dave

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

kkd

Manual tranny for me too!

I am also one of the few who would also have optioned for a manual tranny when we bought our Odyssey.

We had to rebuild our tranny last year to the tune of $2500.

I prefer to drive cars with Manual transmissions, and in all of my years of driving I've never blown up a T10, Muncie, T5 etc.

I agree that manual trannies are very durable, but what about the clutch? Like brakes, it eventually wears out through no fault (usually) of the driver. I mean, you have to consider the whole picture.
    2002 Odyssey EX Fern (Granite) Green
    Honda hood protector, stainless steel flex brake lines, Honda block heater, AC condenser screen, Zymol wax
    151,000 miles/243,000 kilometres; original transmission; Amsoil MV ATF since 79,000 miles/127,000 kilometres; Magnefine aux ATF filter; Honda aux ATF cooler; 19 drain and fills

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

kkd
    I see where you're comming from, but I had to pay $2500, all at once to have that automatic rebuilt.

Ouch!

$2500 will get a lot of clutches replaced

My first car was a 1994 Dodge caravan with manual transmission. I loved it. It had 100,000 miles on it and i drove it to 248,000 miles before the original clutch died on me 3 years ago. I loved that i could take that car out in a foot of iced over snow on the road and drive around without any chains without ever getting stuck. If i could have a manual tranny in my odyssey I would have gotten it in a heart beat.

without me reading this entire thread has anyone seen this conversion to a manual or have a write up on it, theres a youtube video of a ody with a 6spd TL trans

Originally posted by adamrich33
    without me reading this entire thread has anyone seen this conversion to a manual or have a write up on it, theres a youtube video of a ody with a 6spd TL trans
    Sorry dude. Since you didn't get responses to your thread, you searched and found this thread. Now, read this thread to find out if there's a write up or not.

PS Welcome to the odyclub
    When I use this smilie ===> Hidden Content I am NOT calling you stupid. Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the Hidden Content .

2007 EX-L R&N, Slate Green with Olive (couldn't muster up the courage to trade my 1999 baby) ... Ours

2001 Emerald Green Pearl Accord V6-LX (Replaced the POS Taurus) ... Hers ...
    ..... Tranny replaced 6/4/08 @ 67,977 miles.
    ..... Tranny strarted slipping only 8,414 miles after the replacemnt.
    ..... 2nd tranny replacement 9/21/2009 @ 76,659 miles.
    1999 Sterling Mist Nissan Maxima SE with Bose and 6 Disc CD Changer in the trunk ... All Mine

1993 Maroon Ford Taurus GL (Was a POS after the clock turned 60K Miles) ... Traded for the Accord

alexmish1's Hidden Content

only found the video, which was useful but im going to need to find out a better, more practically shifter placement. Thats why i would love to find a write up, which i have not on here or anywhere, surely some one has a DD ody with a 6spd swap

thanks for the welcoming, im liking the site already. its funny im a member on a forum for every type of vehicle i own

There is no write up of this on this site. I am 100% positive about that for this site.

I have seen that video and I do believe that one guy did convert but I have also read/remember reading that the tranny didn't work out too well for him. I don't see this as a worth it project.

Now. If you are talking about the first gen manual tranny swap, that should be very doable but again, I haven't seen instructions for that either.
    When I use this smilie ===> Hidden Content I am NOT calling you stupid. Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the Hidden Content .

2007 EX-L R&N, Slate Green with Olive (couldn't muster up the courage to trade my 1999 baby) ... Ours

1999 Sterling Mist Nissan Maxima SE with Bose and 6 Disc CD Changer in the trunk ... All Mine

1993 Maroon Ford Taurus GL (Was a POS after the clock turned 60K Miles) ... Traded for the Accord

yeah the 1st gens are easy, but i have 99 ody, my search will continue for more info on the conversion, its not the idea of whether or not its worth it, its just a project that i want to do

Well, good luck then. If you do manage to do this, please do post instructions and pix if at all possible.

if i can get up the confidence to do so i will post all that i know, it just dawned on me that there may be some similarities to a auto to manual in the TL, im gonna keep diggin

bradley buchanan is a driver for the Ody w/ turbo and TL trans swap, most recently known for the one lap of america race that he and a team from alabama competed in a couple years ago, so i know its been done, there a good video of the car but there is know other info, anyone good at finding peoples email adress?
    Last edited by adamrich33; 09-25-2009 at 10:52 PM.

The accord manual transmission should be strong enough for the ody. You'd need to swap the pedals, and likely the computer to handle having a manual. I wouldn't expect the mounting points for the ody to be much different than the accord. Even if they are it shouldn't be hard to make an adapter plate. You'll need to swap the master cyclinder, clutch lines, transmission, Crank position sensor, transmission.

If you have a good condition transmission today it should be sellable for 1k. which can go towards the 5k to 5.5k swap costs.
    2001 Honda Odyssey
    131k Dec 09
    135k Jan 10
    137k Feb 10
    140k March 10 EGR,Valves, IAC
    143k April 10 Fluids PS, ATF, Oil(18k change), BK

im not to sure the ecu out of an accord will work properly on the 1999 ody, they have different size motors

18. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast