Manual trans conversion - Page 5
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Manual trans conversion

i know this is a month old but if i could get a second gen i would do the convertion.
    yes the ecu would be the problem guy down here do it to accords and have to use the tl or cl ecu to make it work with the 5 speed or 6 speed

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

With all the problems that come with an automatic transmission, i'm all for a manual in everything. My current automatic began with hi RPM shifting into 2nd from first. That started at 109k. Decided that it was out of warranty then and kept driving it. Well its at 177k and still the same problem but running.

I bought a honda this time because i had a ford taurus that went through 2 transmissions.

Been driving my daily car (Prelude) with a manual because its tons more reliable in the long run than an automatic.

Maybe some here should consider the wisdom of a manual tranny for its simplicity and long life rather that's usual sporty applications. Besides the first generation had a manual.

I would look to Accura for their 6 speed tranny in the TL, their might be a way to fit it, there is plenty of room in the Ody so it would be a question of modifying supports and bold holes. I'd love to wrap my head around this one for sure !

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Man, some of those responses were really embarassing. Few - if any - even attempted to answer his question.

I prefer manual transmissions because it allows me to better use the powerplant, gives me better road feel, and is a huge advantage in snowy icy conditions.

I don't drive one anymore because I CAN"T GET ONE in most vehicles.

My last manual was an 88 Volvo 240 DL. Gutless, and thank god it had a manual. It had nothing to do with being sporty, it had everything to do with getting the most out of a limited platform.

I'd love an Odyssey with a 5 speed. Its a great powerplant for it .....

Current vehicles:
    08 Odyssey
    06 Odyssey
    97 Pathfinder

yes you could do it MT convert. with money and time. if you mount custom turbos, k24s then you could do 6spd trannys.

I think a 6speed swap in a 2nd gen ody would be great. Its basically the same as a AT to MT swap in a 6th gen V6 accord. I have started picking up some parts for this down the road.
    It would not be that hard, here's a list of the parts required.

-RSX-S 6speed shift box.
    -TL-S shift cables.
    -03 accord 6speed (same vss as ody)
    -03 V6 accord starter, clutch and flywheel
    -"richieV6 module" tricks the ody ecu into thinking the auto tranny is still there. Eliminates all the P07xx series CEL's and allows VTEC to function by allowing to run in open/closed loop.
    -clutch pedal/master cylinder from any 92 and up hydro honda.
    -ody axles are the same.
    -and custom fab one mount on the tranny, some lines and some wiring.
    Last edited by ody-tech; 06-17-2010 at 09:12 PM.

I don't understand why so many people are completely against the idea of a 6-speed van. With all the auto trans problems the ody's have I would think that a 6-speed conversion would be an everyday thing by now. why would anyone that can drive a stick shift be willing to pay the 3-5 grand for a replacement auto multiple time when you could spend that once and just shift it yourself. Not to mention you'll get better gas mileage and clutches don't wear out very often. I've already took measurements and mapped out where to mount everything. trust me when my van needs a trans it's going to get a swap. Sure it'll be annoying to lose folding center cup holders/shelf but big deal the van is almost made out of cup holders there are others

The switch is a huge deal. For comparison you can look in the Acura CL forums. There only a limited number in 2003 had manual transmissions but many want them in their 01 typeS and there they just recommend you buy an 03. It's a whole new wiring and ecu system fitting the components is a bear too. I know the 3.5l engine is the same displacement I have in my 08 tl typeS but I don't know if I have room to fit the master cylinder and all that in the ody, or even if the tranny will fit to the engine. Also if you have vcm on your van, I don't know how that will play with the manual transmission.

I thing you're better off welding a shed on used accord wagon than doing a manual transmission in the ody.

I agree with you stick shift is fun to drive but I just don't see it in the odyssey.
    Also I think they offer it in Europe on the vw eurovan because it probably has a 2.2l inline4 propelling that huge thing

so far the clutch master seems to be the biggest hurdle. the trans bolts up just fine. And I found an aem ecu that runs the j series (6-speed only of course). I studied the 6 speed swap in the full race turbo ody (youtube) and stole the shifter mounting bracket idea. I managed to get a set of type s j32 heads (woohoo big valves) and a trans for almost free. So now I'm looking for rl pistons (should work out to 11 to 1 compression) and prepping everything else for a trans swap. Still need a few things but I think I'll be ready

Quote Originally Posted by jester1020 View Post
    so far the clutch master seems to be the biggest hurdle. the trans bolts up just fine. And I found an aem ecu that runs the j series (6-speed only of course). I studied the 6 speed swap in the full race turbo ody (youtube) and stole the shifter mounting bracket idea. I managed to get a set of type s j32 heads (woohoo big valves) and a trans for almost free. So now I'm looking for rl pistons (should work out to 11 to 1 compression) and prepping everything else for a trans swap. Still need a few things but I think I'll be ready

i found that using a 88-91 civic or 90-93 integra and just use a cable to hydro. started this swap till the van got hit and totaled.

also just a fyi the aem ecu used in the van or accord the vss (speedo in the cluster) will not work .

side note are you planing on boosting? i bought a turbo manifold form my swap but like i said the van was a total loss so will sell it.
    Last edited by overboostin; 04-05-2011 at 09:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by overboostin View Post
    i found that using a 88-91 civic or 90-93 integra and just use a cable to hydro. started this swap till the van got hit and totaled.

also just a fyi the aem ecu used in the van or accord the vss (speedo in the cluster) will not work .

side note are you planing on boosting? i bought a turbo manifold form my swap but like i said the van was a total loss so will sell it.
    Thanks for the heads up on the cable idea and speed-o issue. damn well that creates a new issue. Hadnt really given any thought to boost. But ill give it some thought and let you know.

i registerd just to reply to you people. automatics are for mini vans we dont drive sports cars blah blah blah.

i have done several v6 civic swaps some auto some 6 speed.

first there is no 5 speed for the j series tranny. they are all 6 speed.

second all the j series bell housings are the same so tl cl accord 6 speeds will fit your j30, j32, j35 block.

third you dont need to re wire the whole car. u just have to move some engine/ tranny wires around.

the auto computer will run the 6speed. no need for changing crank pick ups and all that bs.

you will need the complete assembly tranny shift box cables clutch slave from the doner tl cl accord you willl need the dual mass fly wheel and self adjusting clutch.

this swap is by no means any where near 5k. get your facts together before you post noobs.

used trannys i have bought have been had for 1000- 1500 with all the parts i.e. clutch, fly wheel, shift box, shifter cables, all clutch lines, slave cyl, and all the bolts that came when they took it apart. so when you compare that 1500 to 2500 3000 for a auto rebuild that will fail again. seems to me like your saving money.

you will need to fig out clutch pedal. and i am in the middle of this now with my 99 and my blown ass auto tranny. if i piss you off sorry please do not delete this post as i belive it is more then helpfull

thanks
    chad
    twisted image
    in CASPER WYOMING

Quote Originally Posted by twistedimage View Post
    i registerd just to reply to you people. automatics are for mini vans we dont drive sports cars blah blah blah.

second all the j series bell housings are the same so tl cl accord 6 speeds will fit your j30, j32, j35 block.

third you dont need to re wire the whole car. u just have to move some engine/ tranny wires around.

the auto computer will run the 6speed. no need for changing crank pick ups and all that bs.

you will need the complete assembly tranny shift box cables clutch slave from the doner tl cl accord you willl need the dual mass fly wheel and self adjusting clutch.

this swap is by no means any where near 5k. get your facts together before you post noobs.

used trannys i have bought have been had for 1000- 1500 with all the parts i.e. clutch, fly wheel, shift box, shifter cables, all clutch lines, slave cyl, and all the bolts that came when they took it apart. so when you compare that 1500 to 2500 3000 for a auto rebuild that will fail again. seems to me like your saving money.

you will need to fig out clutch pedal. and i am in the middle of this now with my 99 and my blown ass auto tranny. if i piss you off sorry please do not delete this post as i belive it is more then helpfull

thanks
    chad
    twisted image
    in CASPER WYOMING
    By all means, keep us posted.
    My first minivan was manual, and I loved it.!!
    The people that criticize that, simply have no clue of what they are talking about.

Also, the Alabama Honda team has installed an manual TL on an Oddy
    without any problems. It is all over YouTube.
    Last edited by JDSStudios; 05-01-2011 at 07:45 AM.
    06 Odyssey EX-L RES with H&R Springs

02 Porsche Carrera C4S with 997S Headers and Ultra Leggeras |||

Quote Originally Posted by twistedimage View Post

thanks
    chad
    twisted image
    in CASPER WYOMING
    A very good first post Chad. Please post again with the details once you finish the swap on your '99.
    When I use this smilie ===> Hidden Content I am NOT calling you stupid. Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the Hidden Content .

2007 EX-L R&N, Slate Green with Olive (couldn't muster up the courage to trade my 1999 baby) ... Ours

2001 Emerald Green Pearl Accord V6-LX (Replaced the POS Taurus) ... Hers ...
    ..... Tranny replaced 6/4/08 @ 67,977 miles.
    ..... Tranny strarted slipping only 8,414 miles after the replacemnt.
    ..... 2nd tranny replacement 9/21/2009 @ 76,659 miles.
    1999 Sterling Mist Nissan Maxima SE with Bose and 6 Disc CD Changer in the trunk ... All Mine

1993 Maroon Ford Taurus GL (Was a POS after the clock turned 60K Miles) ... Traded for the Accord

alexmish1's Hidden Content
    alexmish1's Hidden Content

thankjs guys i own a car dealership mechanic shop, we do tons of performance stuff as well. time is hard for me to get. i have van at shop and will look at fire wall and advise tomorrow or next day. then we will know what we have to do with clutch pedel

18. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast