Manual trans conversion
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Manual trans conversion

Manual trans conversion

I just have to ask the question because my wife and I normally will not drive automatic transmission cars, but we are looking to get an Odyssey. Has anyone done a swap to a manual transmission with a 2nd gen Odyssey? Maybe the 6-spd from the Accord/TL?
    '15 Fit EX 6MT
    '07 Odyssey EX-L

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Welcome.
    However, you normally wouldn't drive a minivan either. Forget the manual idea. Only if you were going to add a rollcage and seriously look to do some racing.
    SOLD - June 2009.
    Very Modified '01 LX!
    Lots of Bass and 5.1 in your face.
    Nitrous, seven video screens, six movements of motorization, Ohio Generator Alternator, six amplifiers, three subwoofers, 3400 amps of batteries, DVD in-dash, DVD changer, Valentine radar detection, front and rear laser detectors, HID headlights, Honda Driving lamps, Axis Neo 19 inch wheels, Toyo Tires, H & R coil springs on the front, Custom made rear coil springs, Custom made Carrera rear shocks, Custom made CARBON FIBER HOOD, Wings West Body kit, Painted rear wiper spoiler, Custom rear hatch shocks, Kakimoto exhaust and EBC front brakes. Looking to Turbo or Supercharge. Somebody pinch me, it's only an Ody.

You're not driving a car. You're driving a minivan.

It's a tool--and it's designed to solve a problem. Hauling kids and stuff around isn't the same as driving your S2000 or even 5 speed Accord around (or BMW, for that matter).

I normally don't use wrenches, either, but I don't hesitate to use one in the way it's intended in order to solve a problem. And if I have a wrench in my hand but suddenly realize I need a hammer, I don't start pounding with the wrench--I grab the tool that's appropriate for the job.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Manual transmission ody conversion? Some one has way too much time on their hands..../g/..
    Arne, CT, USA

Face it your a grown up now. Actually we all discussed this in a different thread. The Ody is a luxury car not a sports car. I think the experence would be more like driving a delivery van. For economy , we have 5 speed autos now.

Believe me if it was possible or desirable one of the moders on this board would have done it by now

Originally posted by egads
    Face it your a grown up now. Actually we all discussed this in a different thread. The Ody is a luxury car not a sports car. I think the experence would be more like driving a delivery van. For economy , we have 5 speed autos now.

Believe me if it was possible or desirable one of the moders on this board would have done it by now
    I guess it shows who drives a manual because they LIKE to, and who drives one because they think it is "sporty". Some people just prefer manual transmissions because they like them. I have have always driven them and do not care to swtich. It is not a matter of a luxury vehicle vs a sporty one, it is just a matter of what I like to drive! Point and case, VW still offers all the Multivan's (Eurovan) in Europe with a manual trans. Maybe I should just import one of those....
    '15 Fit EX 6MT
    '07 Odyssey EX-L

But the cars you currenty drive are not those of someone who "just likes to drive at stick"

re the conversion. Someone has to be first. You can be that one and give us a report on how it went.
    Arne, CT, USA

Originally posted by egads
    But the cars you currenty drive are not those of someone who "just likes to drive at stick"
    Really? When we got the Saab it was only one in a 7 state region that was a manual. I agree, I thought it would be common, but people have gotten lazy. The Accord was easy to find, but there are not that many manual's running around. Oh well, I guess I will be the pioneer if I am able to.
    '15 Fit EX 6MT
    '07 Odyssey EX-L

You are swimming against the tide. Manufacturers have to do extensive engineering and EPA testing to bring a vehicle to market. It's easier when that vehicle is sold in many versions in many parts of the world. The American Ody is too big to be sold most places. It was designed for us fat americans and all our junk.

It was designed for us fat americans and all our junk.
    -------------

And it does a wonderful job hauling my r/c airplanes, kayaks and bicycles....
    Arne, CT, USA

LOL...this is like the guys who come in looking for an automatic S2000! NOT!

I know that Level10 was thinking of doing a shiftronic type setup for the ody...not sure if they every looking into it however...

as for a swap....the ODY shares the Pilot and MDX platform...if a manual isn't on those, it won't be transferrable to the ody. if one of those platforms had one, you could do it...kinda like the civic to intergra/RSX and vise versa swaps.
    Nitrous Fed....Honda Powered...CDT/DEI/eD equipped....ONE....BAD....ODY!!!!!!!

Originally posted by arnereil
    And it does a wonderful job hauling my r/c airplanes, kayaks and bicycles....
    Glad to know I'm not the only one who bought the Odyssey for that reason! Only with me, it's RC helicopters although I do have an airplane too!

Drive Safe,
    Steve R.

PS: I wouldn't mind seeing the Odyssey with a manual transmission! I don't care if "most" folks wouldn't buy it that way, I just appreciate having the option.
    Last edited by Intrepid175; 11-04-2004 at 05:04 PM.
    Drive Safe,
    Steve R.
    '01 SS LX
    Cargo tray, leather steering wheel, mud guards, alarm, fog lights, air deflector, transmission cooler, remote CD player, Kelton subwoofer.

Manual tranny minivan

Before I settled on the Ody for its sporty handling, I seriously considered a Chevy Astro with a manual tranny. It was unusual and would have to be ordered, but I was willing to wait the 6 weeks. That was just the salesman's first salvo to get me off the idea! Next, he said it would drop the van's resale value by $3,000 compared to the same with auto. Welll...I'm starting to listen. Then he says he wouldn't even want it on a trade because it would be practically unsellable. Like I said, I finally went for the Ody (and have never regretted it) but a manual shift in a minivan makes for a white elephant.

Just my experience with mating a manual and a minivan, for what it's worth.
    2002 Odyssey EX Fern (Granite) Green
    Honda hood protector, stainless steel flex brake lines, Honda block heater, AC condenser screen, Zymol wax
    151,000 miles/243,000 kilometres; original transmission; Amsoil MV ATF since 79,000 miles/127,000 kilometres; Magnefine aux ATF filter; Honda aux ATF cooler; 19 drain and fills

Re: Manual tranny minivan

Originally posted by davedrivesody
    Before I settled on the Ody for its sporty handling, I seriously considered a Chevy Astro with a manual tranny. It was unusual and would have to be ordered, but I was willing to wait the 6 weeks. That was just the salesman's first salvo to get me off the idea! Next, he said it would drop the van's resale value by $3,000 compared to the same with auto. Welll...I'm starting to listen. Then he says he wouldn't even want it on a trade because it would be practically unsellable. Like I said, I finally went for the Ody (and have never regretted it) but a manual shift in a minivan makes for a white elephant.

Just my experience with mating a manual and a minivan, for what it's worth.
    That salesman was probably right on all counts. People that can even drive, much less prefer, a manual transmission are a definite minority in the US.

I didn't know that Chevy ever offered a manual tranny in the Astro? The only minivan I remember seeing with a manual was an early model Ford Aerostar. It was also a bare bones model. If you put just about "any" option on the car, you had to add the automatic. Could you have optioned out the Astro and still kept the manual transmission?

Drive Safe,
    Steve R.
    Last edited by Intrepid175; 11-04-2004 at 05:58 PM.
    Drive Safe,
    Steve R.
    '01 SS LX
    Cargo tray, leather steering wheel, mud guards, alarm, fog lights, air deflector, transmission cooler, remote CD player, Kelton subwoofer.

18. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast