Integra Type R engine...
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Thread: Integra Type R engine...

Integra Type R engine...

I have heard from a friend the an interga type R engine can fit directly into an Odyssey engine bay without any modifacatons?

Is this true? as I am looking at purchasing an Odyssey as a doer uper type thing soon.

Oh and these forums are rad! heh

-ryan

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Why would you want to put that little ricer motor into an Odyssey? You want to make yours slower than everyone else's?

This just doesn't seem to make sense.
    2003 Odyssey EX - Taffeta White

Well for one thing he's in New Zealand and has a first Gen, probably with a four cycl.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Yes, first gen, not a 3litre v6...

It may but I've heard of swaps with the H22 engine from the Prelude which I believe you guys have over there.
    -Rob-
    1995 Subaru Legacy LS/1992 Mazda Miata
    Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content

Take it from an ex-ITR owner, stick with a high-displacement engine like the one from the factory. My old 2001 ITR put out 208whp and ran high 12's all day long but it was a poor torque-less beast. The Ody is a very heavy car in comparison to the purpose-built lightweight ITR. Unless you want to drive your Ody at 7500RPM all day long, stay away from the ITR engine.

Integra Type R engine

I — the same opinion.
    Southern NC

Originally posted by itr0754
    Take it from an ex-ITR owner, stick with a high-displacement engine like the one from the factory. My old 2001 ITR put out 208whp and ran high 12's all day long but it was a poor torque-less beast. The Ody is a very heavy car in comparison to the purpose-built lightweight ITR. Unless you want to drive your Ody at 7500RPM all day long, stay away from the ITR engine.
    +1 here
    the ITR engine suffers significantly with added weight. My cousin and I would take the ITR and a 95 turbo awd talon to autocrossing, with each car full of tools + AutoX tires and rims. The ITR was visibly slower in a drag race on the highway ramp. with only a driver in it, it was just about even.

To me, the ITR's engine is absolutely fantastic, but it doesn't belong in a heavy car.

It wouldnt be a direct fit. The h22 and h23 would be the easy way to go. without some good torque the van would be miserable to drive. I have an h22 in my first gen and I am happy with that. I think the h23 would be a good swap too.

Or if you wanted to go crazy, try a K24A2 swap, using the 2.4L CR-V block and VTEC RSX head. Guys build those (and boost them) and create some true monsters...
    Jeremy
    2004 Odyssey EXL (K&N panel, bixenon headlights, eBay fogs, XM)
    1999 Audi A4 2.8qm (daily driver - lots of mods)
    1990 Nissan 300ZXTT (515hp - rolling ballistic missile)

I wouldn't even waste my time with the Honda B series. The lack of torque, as mentioned above, will make it a dog to drive. Do what the FD owners do and shoe horn in a LS1.

On a series note nothing is just a direct fit. I can tell you right off that you're probably going to have to deal with:

1) OBDI -> OBDII conversion if your Odyssey is pre. 96
    2) You have to fabricate a custom shift linkage as well as doing an auto -> manual conversion (Not sure what the old Odyssey's came with). If manual then you have to check if you are going wire to wire, wire to hydraulic, or hydraulic to wire clutch.
    3) Knock sensor rewire as well as ECU replacement.
    4) Fabricate a custom exhaust
    5) Check if your engine mounts are plug and play or if you have to do custom work.
    6) Increase the size of your radiator
    7) ITR Hub and axle swap. Assuming it fits with Odyssey suspension.

Just looking around it seems like the H22 is the way to go for this type of swap. I can tell you right off that the B and H series motors mount up differently so the potential for motor mount fabrication is possible.
    Last edited by HondaBox; 04-05-2013 at 12:44 PM.

no replacement for displacement! the same reason why people always bore out there cylinders... Just slap in a V6! =) Or a V8 if you can afford it! lol

Quote Originally Posted by wusta515 View Post
    no replacement for displacement! the same reason why people always bore out there cylinders... Just slap in a V6! =) Or a V8 if you can afford it! lol
    Really? Three years later?
    2010 Honda Odyssey EX-L - Driven in "Mexico"
    2017 Honda Odyssey TE - Voided warranty before delivery

DIYs & Automotive Content: Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by wusta515 View Post
    V6 into that chassis would require some fabrication knowledge as it is not very close to direct drop in at all.
    A v8 into it would require an entire reconfiguration of the front end, suspension and then tunneling of the chassis to run driveshaft, then the rear end would have to be fabricated to hold the diff.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrRangerZr1 View Post
    Really? Three years later?
    Yes 3 years later lol, better than 5

17. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements