2010 Muffler Delete
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Thread: 2010 Muffler Delete

2010 Muffler Delete

Hey folks,

Thinking of doing a muffler delete on my 2010 ody EX-L. Will it sound like crap? The J35 engine doesn't sound ricey. Maybe ill try cutting the last muffler off and see how it sounds, then decide to cut the remaining muffler off (odyssey has dual mufflers)

*Yes i do sound crazy lol*

Thanks
    2010 Honda Odyssey EX-L - Driven in "Mexico"
    2017 Honda Odyssey TE - Voided warranty before delivery

DIYs & Automotive Content: Hidden Content

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Just what are you hoping to accomplish? Personally I would never mess with it. It is stainless steel and will last practically forever if you don't screw with it. And if you do screw with it and cause a back pressure change that the ECM doesn't like and turn on the check engine light, then what? Sounds Stoooooopid to me.
    30 year career of car sales and related industry - Part Time Detailer
    2006 EX-L Slate Green Metallic - Purchased new Dec 2005, totaled May 2013 at 166K
    2007 EX-L NAV RES Slate Green Metallic - purchased May 2013 with 113K now 200K+

Don't know what state you live in, but if you live in the state I live in, I guarantee it will not pass the annual inspection and you will get a ticket for bad exhaust.
    Last edited by parmm; 02-09-2015 at 06:12 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by pkrface View Post
    Just what are you hoping to accomplish? Personally I would never mess with it. It is stainless steel and will last practically forever if you don't screw with it. And if you do screw with it and cause a back pressure change that the ECM doesn't like and turn on the check engine light, then what? Sounds Stoooooopid to me.
    Hmm, Wont changing the whole exhaust system change the back pressure? I don't think taking out one muffler will cause the CEL. And if the CEL does come on, i can just weld it together again i guess??

Quote Originally Posted by parmm View Post
    Don't know what state you live in, but if you live in the state I live in, I guarantee it will not pass the annual inspection and you will get a ticket for bad exhaust.
    Florida

Quote Originally Posted by MrRangerZr1 View Post
    Hmm, Wont changing the whole exhaust system change the back pressure? I don't think taking out one muffler will cause the CEL. And if the CEL does come on, i can just weld it together again i guess??
    Don't know for sure that it will, but back to the original question. What do you hope to accomplish?
    30 year career of car sales and related industry - Part Time Detailer
    2006 EX-L Slate Green Metallic - Purchased new Dec 2005, totaled May 2013 at 166K
    2007 EX-L NAV RES Slate Green Metallic - purchased May 2013 with 113K now 200K+

Don't know for sure that it will, but back to the original question. What do you hope to accomplish?

Just a louder exhaust. I have the OEM intake mod done, so i wanted to try something out with the exhaust.

they only have 1 muffler, the other can is a resonator on the end, ive deleted my resonator and it sounds spicy........has more power faster as well.
    Have you tried google?

Hey folks,

Thinking of doing a muffler delete on my 2010 ody EX-L. Will it sound like crap? The J35 engine doesn't sound ricey. Maybe ill try cutting the last muffler off and see how it sounds, then decide to cut the remaining muffler off (odyssey has dual mufflers)

*Yes i do sound crazy lol*

Thanks
    Muffler baffles sound, simply removing the muffler may induce higher pitched sound generation which is undesirable. You would be better off getting the RV6 Performance PCD kit and leaving the exhaust system itself alone. It'll induce greater breathing without the effect of crazy noise.

Commonly stated myth of backpressure......this is from the 2 valve carb days so please review furthur studies done on backpressure before stating its effect on the ECM and performance.
    Backpressure is the enemy within vehicles attempting to increase performance as backpressure is resistance to airflow coming out of the cylinder head which means the engine must now WORK to push that out before attempting to CREATE power. You want to have as little backpressure as possible and have enough velocity in the exhaust side to induce a great enough scavenging effect in order to boost power without additional modifications.. In doing this you will be assisting the engine in PULLING in the air/fuel charge so that combustion can occur.. In doing so you also do NOT want to OVER scavenge the cylinder head as that will cause your intake charge to simply fly into the cylinder and then jetstream right out the exhaust (Which you then need adjustable cam gears in order to sync intake/exhaust timing back to optimal)
    The ECM also can remap itself out pretty far as proven by the power output on the vehicle currently in use down here in Socal where we have attained 232whp and 222wtq with simple bolt-on modifications and no check engine light.

You want less back pressure sir. Simply removing a muffler won't accomplish a task as effectively as having the exhaust system entirely redone. If you wanted more sound, i'd remove the entire system starting just behind the passenger front wheel (J-pipe outlet into exhaust) and have new piping done with new resonator all the way back to a single muffler of choice......unfortunately the space alloted only allows a small oval body or canister style exhaust muffler. A good piping size for this vehicle would be 2.5" as that is what I am running on the van.

what is this kit and how do I get one also will it fit a 2012. I didnt remove but just added a lighter after market muffler in its place and removed the resonator, that and the true cold air from my VW I was able to simpy piece together it fits down in front of the drivers side tire. its been on for almost a year now with no moisture at all checked it several times at first. here in Ky it rains hard enough at times for a thorough test

RV6 Performance PCD kit
    Our third Odyssey a 4th Gen Elite, deep rear tint mild front glass, factory all weather mats, LED lighting throughout cabin, LED fogs and upgraded DRL, altered AEM true CAI from another build air feeds from below drivers side tire, resonator delete, aftermarket muffler (very mild), poly front sway bar bushings, VCMuzzler II from Verbatim, drain 3x Valvoline maxlife in tranny, external engine and transmission coolers and upgraded PS cooler system.

Please do and let me know how it sounds, I'm planning on doing the same thing, I haven't really looked at the ody exhaust system yet but I know on the TLs they sounds really good without the rear mufflers and just leaving the mid muffler in. If it's too loud I'll just add an aftermarket muffler in there

So my brothers ended up gutting one of the mid mufflers last night. Has a small rumble at idle and has a nice little growl during regular driving. he said when you're cruising on the hwy it's still silent.

He took a little clip but it doesn't sound right on my phone at least, doesn't sound deep at all in the video

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...7&id=290602946

So I drove it today, it was a little.louder than I would like below 3k, could be because my brakes are grabbing a bit so it's struggling a little harder down low, sounds really need from when you're moving and quiet while cruising.

If I was keeping the stock piping I'd probably keep the mid mufflers and swap the rear muffler with a performance one

Quote Originally Posted by 05Bodyssey View Post
    sounds really need from when you're moving
    Sounds really good when you're moving**** also sounds like a beast at idle lol

17. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements