Oil Filter magnet (good idea?) - Page 2
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oil Filter magnet (good idea?)

Save your money. It won't catch non-ferrous particles and it certainly won't improve gas mileage.

The engine in the Ody will usually outlast just about everything else in the van with regular oil and filter changes.
    2002 Odyssey EX Fern (Granite) Green
    Honda hood protector, stainless steel flex brake lines, Honda block heater, AC condenser screen, Zymol wax
    151,000 miles/243,000 kilometres; original transmission; Amsoil MV ATF since 79,000 miles/127,000 kilometres; Magnefine aux ATF filter; Honda aux ATF cooler; 19 drain and fills

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by hot48chev View Post
    I found this magnet for oil filters. Oil Filter Magnet by GWR saves fuel, increases enging life, reduces wear, reduces oil change intervals. Patented magnet fit inside oil filter and saves fuel.

In "theory" it looks to do a better job than the filter mag, or Forcefield. I have not tried any of these, I'm trying to find which would be the best. Your opinions and comments would be helpful. Let me know what you think ???
    I do not recommend the ForceField, that screws on between the filter and the engine -- it does not make a good seal and will work loose; it you tighten it then it can scour the face of the oil filter bracket.

The GRW magnet inside the filter could come loose and obstruct flow -- so I do not like that possibility.

My "slap-on" FilterMags continue to work great -- I have two of them on the circumference of the oil filter. I continue to find metallic "dust" (as depicted in my above post) adhering to the inside of the filter after every oil change.
    2002 EX-TW ; Weathertechs; Splash; 4X Pioneer 1695's w/ Blaupunkt Casablanca head unit; Hella Supertone Horns; Hitch w/ Transmission & Power Steering Coolers; 2001 Five-spoke Alloy Wheels, California Flames, K&N Air Filter; FilterMag magnetic oil filter; Galaxy DX-959 mobile CB w/ Wilson 1,000 mag mount antenna;Valentine One; Schrader Nickle Plated Brass Valve Stem Caps; Odyssey 1200MJT mil-spec battery.

How about just switching to a drain plug with a magnet tip?

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

I also changed my drain plug to a magnet one just like on ATF pan plug ($6) with no other mods. That was only because I once had a bad bolt and needed one in the evening. Ended up with that. Only one time I noticed some black deposit on it and most of the time its clean. Magnets do not hurt but wonder if its better in the pan or filter.

This filter magnet that wraps around or inserted into oil filter is kind of like the magnet that was available long time back that supposed to be zip-tied to fuel line. The idea was the same. As fuel passed through it would realign the molecules, blah blah. Here supposedly it will catch the particles.

Might be good to have flat magnets at pan and around oil filter ($5 for 4 at micheals + large hose clamp like in one pic above). I would not buy those $20+ things. It definitely won't help too much. There are a few in this forum that have passed 350k miles and that was all unmodified filtration miles right?
    Last edited by surgeon; 10-15-2015 at 01:15 PM.
    |-2008 Ody T [email protected]/2016 VCMuzzler2; Goodyear Assurance 3Tread, (90040) TruCool LPD 4544 +Magnefine 3/8in filter; All Wheel bearings replaced; Centric rotors+Akebono pads; 4 ATF d/f; oem cargo tray; weathertech floor liners; New thermostat + ect1 sensor (89k); (93537) Airlift 1000 bags, Interior LEDs; 94600mi TB, SP, PS fluid;
    |-2001 Ody EX (sold 149k mi)
    |-2000 Accord EX V6 Coupe (232k, sold, downsizing)

i use filtermag on ALL of my cars. I also have one that goes between the filter and the block, but forgot what it's called. Never installed that one.
    For the filtermag, I was sold when i saw it about 8-10 years ago at SEMA. It catches worn or loose metallic debris(obviously magnetic) in your engine, so I'm not sure what's there to debate about. I mean, you're not catching 100% debris in the engine, there are obviously nonmagnetic material. OEM uses magnets on drain plugs.
    There are universal neodymium magnetic drain plugs you can buy. These are usually the first things i buy after i purchase a new/old car/van.

I don't think surround magnet on normal oil filter will work, the steel body shielded the magnet field. ForceField should work.

Quote Originally Posted by coxman View Post
    I don't think surround magnet on normal oil filter will work, the steel body shielded the magnet field. ForceField should work.
    As stated above the ForceField filter (which is installed between the oil filter and the engine oil filter mount) compresses its rubber seal and scratches the flat surface of the oil filter mount. Over time it will become unscrewed and loose, due largely to the threaded adapter that is installed into the ForceField. I cut one apart and it was loaded with iron spicules. It is no longer listed on the FilterMag site.

On the other hand, the FilterMag magnets, installed on the outside of the oil filter, work like a charm. I have two of them on the outside of my oil filter and, when the filter is cut open, there is always a healthy deposit of grey metal dust on the inside circumference of the filter shell. See my photo of this posted elsewhere.
    2002 EX-TW ; Weathertechs; Splash; 4X Pioneer 1695's w/ Blaupunkt Casablanca head unit; Hella Supertone Horns; Hitch w/ Transmission & Power Steering Coolers; 2001 Five-spoke Alloy Wheels, California Flames, K&N Air Filter; FilterMag magnetic oil filter; Galaxy DX-959 mobile CB w/ Wilson 1,000 mag mount antenna;Valentine One; Schrader Nickle Plated Brass Valve Stem Caps; Odyssey 1200MJT mil-spec battery.

Quote Originally Posted by davedrivesody View Post
    Save your money. It won't catch non-ferrous particles and it certainly won't improve gas mileage.

The engine in the Ody will usually outlast just about everything else in the van with regular oil and filter changes.
    +1. Over kill. Use a name brand filter. Change your oil regularly. Save your $.

11. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12