Oil Filter magnet (good idea?)
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil Filter magnet (good idea?)

Question Oil Filter magnet (good idea?)

Has anyone ever use one of these filtermags?

http://www.filtermag.com/

I have always liked the vehicles that have magnets in the oil drain plug to catch the small metal particles. The honda does not but this filter magnet seems like a good idea instead.

BrianB

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Re: Oil Filter magnet (good idea?)

Originally posted by BrianB
    Has anyone ever use one of these filtermags?

http://www.filtermag.com/

I have always liked the vehicles that have magnets in the oil drain plug to catch the small metal particles. The honda does not but this filter magnet seems like a good idea instead.

BrianB
    Could not hurt.....

King of Custom Pedals
    04 Odyssey (9.67mpg mix) 27mpg Highway- Go figure GONE
    12 Quest SL
    12 Altima 3.5 SR
    91 MR2

Of course the engine is made out of aluminum.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

There you go trashing the companies bottom line
    2004 EX Odyssey.
    All posts made by me are in reference to the gen 2 Odyssey.

Originally posted by egads
    Of course the engine is made out of aluminum.
    Doesn't it have iron cylinder liners, an iron crankshaft, iron piston rings, oil pump gears, and iron camshafts, rocker arms and valves? All of that stuff is subject to some wear and a magnet surely could not hurt anything.

Jerry O.

UFCW Retired
    UNION, YES!!!
    (The labor movement, the folks who brought you the weekend)

2014 Celestial Blue EX-L + 19" Advanti B1 wheels w/ 245/50-19 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 tires, a WeatherTech cargo mat w/ added "bumper bib", a ScanGauge II and a nice large basket in place of the difficult to use front console. AirLift kit #60815 and DashMat dash cover (black to beat windshield reflection) added.

2006 Ocean Mist Metallic EX gone to live with daughter and family in Illinois

Smile They exagerate the effectiveness

I am also a fan of using magnets to catch wear particles
    and as was mentioned they can't do any harm..

My only complaint is how they advertise the effectiveness of their
    product.

They show a filter cut open after using them with the material
    trapped by the magnets stuck to the inside of the oil filter
    casing...

But this part of the filter is where the oil enters. So it is quite possible that most/all of the material that the magnet has trappped at this point would be caught by the oil filter anyway.

I used a very strong magnet once on the bottom of the oil pan of my Ford Bronco for the longest time, when I needed the head gasket replaced, my mechanic had commented how "clean" the inside of the engine looked even with 195k miles. I guess it helps-but every time I had to change the oil I would find nails, screws, a fork or spoon attached to my oil pan.

It also slowed me down going over bridges for some reason.
    '05 Odyssey EX-L RES- Taffeta White / Ivory
    '00 Infinity QX4 - Titanium / Grey

Originally posted by happywith3
    I guess it helps-but every time I had to change the oil I would find nails, screws, a fork or spoon attached to my oil pan.

Originally posted by happywith3
    It also slowed me down going over bridges for some reason.
    Wow, that must have been one hell of a magnet!!!!
    2017 Honda Accord V6 Coupe, 6 speed - San Marino Red
    2015 Toyota Highlander XLE - Blizzard Pearl
    2014 Civic Si - Crystal Black Pearl
    2012 Pilot EXL-RES - Polished Metal
    2011 Mazda3i Touring Crystal White Pearl
    Other Recent Rides:
    2009 Odyssey EXL-RES Bali Blue
    2005 Mazda RX8 GT Velocity Red
    2008 Pilot EXL-RES Formal Black
    2003 Odyssey EXL-RES Redrock Pearl
    2004 Mazda 6S Lapis Blue
    2002 Accord EXL Black

I have switched to the FilterMag (RA300) after using the ForceField filter. The ForceField had a tendency to get slightly loose when I checked it at filter-change-time. I guess I could have safety wired it, but did not want to go to the trouble.

The ForceField definitely works. There was no metal grossly visible on the magnet. My autopsy showed a moderate amount of metal dust (claimed down to 5 microns) on the magnet and attendant metal plates -- visible only when wiped off. When I wiped the magnet and plates with Kleenex and paper towels the metal dust came off and looked like smudges of black pencil lead on the paper.

Based on these observations I wish that I had had the FilterMag from the day I drove off the lot.

I will post autopsy pics when I remove the other forcefield from Mom's Civic.

Notice in this video how the Forcefield (supposedly tight) turns a bit more when the tech tightens the oil filter on top of it.

Here is the FilterMag promo:
    2002 EX-TW ; Weathertechs; Splash; 4X Pioneer 1695's w/ Blaupunkt Casablanca head unit; Hella Supertone Horns; Hitch w/ Transmission & Power Steering Coolers; 2001 Five-spoke Alloy Wheels, California Flames, K&N Air Filter; FilterMag magnetic oil filter; Galaxy DX-959 mobile CB w/ Wilson 1,000 mag mount antenna;Valentine One; Schrader Nickle Plated Brass Valve Stem Caps; Odyssey 1200MJT mil-spec battery.

On the 2006+ the oil filter is already pretty low to the ground so I would hesitate to squeeze in an adapter. I think the concept is sound and although some of what these magnets trap would be trapped by the filter lots of smaller ferrous particles will be trapped that would otherwise circulate in the oil. The wrap around type seem to make the most sense to me. Trapped iron goes out with the old filter with no extra work.

The most damaging particles for an engine are those small enough to pass though the filter (less than 25 microns) and larger than the oil film between moving parts (~ 3 microns IIRC).

I have added a rare earth magnet to the end of my drain plug on all my cars and there is usually a small amount of build up at each change.
    2006 EX-L 103K 2007 style ATF cooler and Magnafine filter, PS cooler, Centric front rotors w/ Akebono Pads.

These things work. I started out with one RA300, which fits about half the circumference of the filter, but it is too tall for the Honda filter (it is the same height as the filter) and you have struggle to unseat it in order to fit the filter wrench onto the flats on the end of the filter.

I subsequently went to two SS300 Filtermags which are the same radius as the above, but are shorter and do not cover the flats on the end of the filter and allow room for the fitting of the filter wrench.

The two SS300's cover almost 360 degrees of the filter and there is "black dust" on the inside walls of all my filters when I cut them open.

I wish that I had been using these puppies from mile zero. They just take a minute to "slap on" and are well worth the investment.
    2002 EX-TW ; Weathertechs; Splash; 4X Pioneer 1695's w/ Blaupunkt Casablanca head unit; Hella Supertone Horns; Hitch w/ Transmission & Power Steering Coolers; 2001 Five-spoke Alloy Wheels, California Flames, K&N Air Filter; FilterMag magnetic oil filter; Galaxy DX-959 mobile CB w/ Wilson 1,000 mag mount antenna;Valentine One; Schrader Nickle Plated Brass Valve Stem Caps; Odyssey 1200MJT mil-spec battery.

Magnetic filtering of very small ferrous particles is not a bad idea, IMHO.

I mean, even if most of it is less than 2-3 microns (i.e., really, really small and will live within the film of oil covering bearings without causing bearing surface wear damage), iron particles hurt oil badly in other ways.

The big deal is that most oil analysis companies (like Blackstone, for instance) test for a TBN (total base number) when they do a UOA for a customer. If the TBN is too low, they'll recommend a shorter OCI (oil change interval).

Iron acts as a co-catalyst (for lack of better words) for oxidation, which acts with other chemical reactions occuring in your motor oil to lower the oil's TBN. If you use a magnet to clump it in one place (like against the casing wall of your oil filter), you've greatly reduced the available surface area of those ferrous particles, which means they can't do as much damage to the oil from a solutions chemistry standpoint.

In short, this should allow your oil to be chemically "healthier" (again, for lack of better words) for a longer period of time. That's good for your engine.

sinbad, thanks for the post on your experience with FilterMag products.

OF
    2003 Ody EX-L RES 188k miles, OEM fogs & hitch, bbylon5 screen mod, ckonarske fog mod#2, cnn 82C t-stat mod, Tru-Cool Max, OT1 ATF tstat
    2002 Ody EX RES 197k, Ditto
    1998 Accord LX 238k, Haynes 676 ATF cooler
    1982 Ebbtide DynaTrak bass boat, 200hp Merc, DIY re-fit 2006-07: CMC jackplate, Teleflex Canada Steering, Torque-Shift 14-26 vari-pitch SS prop
    SNAPPER mower 5.5hp Honda

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by BrianB View Post
    You can buy an aftermarket oil drain plug with a magnet in it.

DSCN1921.jpg
    Here is the inside of my cut oil filter after 4,000 miles with two of the #SS300 FilterMags magnets attached to the outside of the oil filter, 180 degrees apart. Only one side is seen. The other side looks identical. I had to remove the magnets in order to attach my filter cutter to the oil filter, so I probably lost some of the metal dust in the process. I had previously run about 6,000 mile with a ForceField filter (see below) in place, so metal particles are still being generated. Bottom line, this thing works.

dscn0647web.jpg
    Here is the ForceField filter in place above the oil filter, with cooling fin gizmo attached around the oil filter. I beveled the top of the cooling fins for clearance, but eventually removed them after judging them to be too close to the CV joint boot and shaft. Permanent install would have to be safety wired for piece of mind. I later chucked the ForceField after it kept getting loose and after it scoured a grove in the mating surface on the engine bracket.
    Last edited by sinbad; 02-06-2012 at 11:27 PM.

I found this magnet for oil filters. Oil Filter Magnet by GWR saves fuel, increases enging life, reduces wear, reduces oil change intervals. Patented magnet fit inside oil filter and saves fuel.

In "theory" it looks to do a better job than the filter mag, or Forcefield. I have not tried any of these, I'm trying to find which would be the best. Your opinions and comments would be helpful. Let me know what you think ???

18. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast