Can I get firmer steering
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Thread: Can I get firmer steering

AJB

Can I get firmer steering

Just picked up a 2013 Odyssey. And I've never driven a fan before, but I did have a 2006 V6 Accord. The Van steering is just some light why driving down the highway. Anyway to firm up the resistance before moving off-center driving at highway speeds?

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Just read your post, so it's 4 month now. Gotten used to it? I had a 2010 Accord V6, so I know what you mean, that the Accord's steering is "heavier" but for me, not much.

One thing you can do is wider tires. I've don't that on other Hondas in the past when I did a +1 or +2 wheel and tire. It made the steering "heavier."

AJB
    No not really. My wife drives the van mostly. But I usually drive on the loner road trips. I just find the steering so over-boosted that i find it hard to keep the van from swaying a bit while driving down a straight highway at 70 mph. Basically the lack of steering wheel turning resistance means the the van moves left or right so easily at any small input.

Also I see my first post is full of typos, no way to edit your own post?
    Current: 2015 Chevy SS RPGM Enthusiast Package - 2013 Honda Odyssey TE - 2000 Chevy K2500
    Past: 2011 VW JSW TDi 6spd [email protected] - 2006 Honda Accord Sedan V6 6-Spd Sold @170k - 1996 Mazda Miata 5spd Base Sold @257k - 04 VW Passat W8 6spd Wagon Sold @123k - 2003 VW Jetta GLI 24v 6spd Sold @74k - 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 Sold @303k - 1991 Honda Accord LX 5spd Sold @151k - 1993 Toyota Corolla 5spd Base Sold @154k

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Drain the power steering fluid (joke!)

Wider and / or stickier tires might work, you'd have to check clearances though. First thing to check is that you are running the right pressures...

Quote Originally Posted by AJB View Post
    No not really. My wife drives the van mostly. But I usually drive on the loner road trips. I just find the steering so over-boosted that i find it hard to keep the van from swaying a bit while driving down a straight highway at 70 mph. Basically the lack of steering wheel turning resistance means the the van moves left or right so easily at any small input.

Also I see my first post is full of typos, no way to edit your own post?
    I wasn't sure I experienced the same issue until I read the bold section above. I called it steering "float" and I hated it. We switched tires from the stock Michelin Primacy MXV4 All-season to FALKEN PRO G4 A/S. The tires shop guys thought I was nuts because I was moving from a Touring tire to a performance all-season tire. They told me it was too much tire for the van. I just nodded and said OK.
    The Falken's have a bit of a stiffer sidewall which helps with the body roll and really helps with the steering "float" I was feeling. The ride is firmer too but not bad. I personally think they are way better than those touring tires the vans come with but then again they aren't for everyone since they are a little bit stiffer and therefore rougher of a ride. Might look for some better tires depending on what's on the van now.

AJB
    Yep tire pressure are all good. I'v only ever driven our Odyssey, so I have nothing else to compare it too. Just seem like such little effort to make any sort of steering input. Maybe I'll go test drive another one to see if their is a difference.
    Current: 2015 Chevy SS RPGM Enthusiast Package - 2013 Honda Odyssey TE - 2000 Chevy K2500
    Past: 2011 VW JSW TDi 6spd [email protected] - 2006 Honda Accord Sedan V6 6-Spd Sold @170k - 1996 Mazda Miata 5spd Base Sold @257k - 04 VW Passat W8 6spd Wagon Sold @123k - 2003 VW Jetta GLI 24v 6spd Sold @74k - 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 Sold @303k - 1991 Honda Accord LX 5spd Sold @151k - 1993 Toyota Corolla 5spd Base Sold @154k

AJB
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_milo View Post
    I wasn't sure I experienced the same issue until I read the bold section above. I called it steering "float" and I hated it. We switched tires from the stock Michelin Primacy MXV4 All-season to FALKEN PRO G4 A/S. The tires shop guys thought I was nuts because I was moving from a Touring tire to a performance all-season tire. They told me it was too much tire for the van. I just nodded and said OK.
    The Falken's have a bit of a stiffer sidewall which helps with the body roll and really helps with the steering "float" I was feeling. The ride is firmer too but not bad. I personally think they are way better than those touring tires the vans come with but then again they aren't for everyone since they are a little bit stiffer and therefore rougher of a ride. Might look for some better tires depending on what's on the van now.
    You know I feel dumb not thinking about switching tires. Too bad these are basically brand new Michelin's, so i'm going to have to wait a bit. And again, my wife is not complaining. But I also don't think she would mind a firmer ride in the future when it comes time to replace the tires. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check back in a few years.

10. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements