Gen 3 Timing Belt Write Up is Here!
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Gen 3 Timing Belt Write Up is Here!

Gen 3 Timing Belt Write Up is Here!

http://home.comcast.net/~desmo888/Gen3_Ody_TB_1.pdf

http://home.comcast.net/~desmo888/Gen3_Ody_TB_2.pdf

Sticky worthy? I think so...

**************** EDIT ******************
    Since the files in this post are missing, here is a quote from another forum member who posted instructions. Direct link to post is:
    https://www.odyclub.com/forums/52-200...ml#post1110121

Quote Originally Posted by jfatica View Post
    Last edited by dvpatel; 12-16-2016 at 10:00 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Let me be the first to say a big Thank you!

Minor note, you provided two references to the same file.
    I think you are missing the link to the first file, which is easily gotten by replacing 2 with a 1 in the url.

thanks again, I will be using it in a year or so!
    Max
    Silver/Grey 2005 Odyssey EXL R&N
    White 2009 Maxima SV Premium & Tech

Maker of Max Muzzler with variable resistor, pm to purchase
    Or find my for sale thread in the "For Sale" forum on this site to check out device and feedback.
    Hidden Content

Originally posted by maxud

Minor note, you provided two references to the same file.
    I think you are missing the link to the first file, which is easily gotten by replacing 2 with a 1 in the url.

DOH! Fixed now. Thanks!

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Outstanding job, Desmo! I don't think I've ever seen a more concise DIY! Having never done anything this invasive in our Odyssey, I hope you don't mind a few questions:
    1. When installing the belt per the manual, would an assistant or zip ties help keep good tension on the camshaft pulleys until the belt is on?
    2. Your warning about the camshafts rotating are appropriate, but also quite dire. Is there any way to keep them from moving (c clamp, etc.) until the belt is back on? Or is this overkill?
    3. Would you say that getting the engine mount off was the biggest challenge of the whole evolution?

Thanks again for such a great write-up! Where do we send the beer or bucks?
    Mookie
    '06 Ody EX-L, Midnight Blue, 113k miles
    '02 Land Rover Discovery, SE7, 111k miles
    '97 Civic EX, commuter special, 231k miles

wow! you are the man! I think I will let a Honda tech do mine while I stick to oil and ATF changes.
    2010 Odyssey EX
    2013 Subaru Outback
    Previous Hondas:
    2002 Accord LX Sedan - SOLD 7/12
    1997 Accord EX Coupe
    1984 Accord Hatchback

Re: Gen 3 Timing Belt Write Up is Here!

Originally posted by desmo888
    Sticky worthy? I think so...
    Nice. Great job desmo888.

We can stick this thread but not many folks do their own Timing Belt changes. Plus there are already way too many sticky threads and folks just go right past 'em.

Hopefully, Dwayn will open up the tech section at some point and/or we can upload the PDFs. In the mean while, if you want your PDFs hosted on my webserver, please let me know and I will host 'em so that the files are still hosted even if you decide to move away from comcast.

Lets give it a few days to see how the site pans out before we sticky this.
    When I use this smilie ===> Hidden Content I am NOT calling you stupid. Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the Hidden Content .

2007 EX-L R&N, Slate Green with Olive (couldn't muster up the courage to trade my 1999 baby) ... Ours

2001 Emerald Green Pearl Accord V6-LX (Replaced the POS Taurus) ... Hers ...
    ..... Tranny replaced 6/4/08 @ 67,977 miles.
    ..... Tranny strarted slipping only 8,414 miles after the replacemnt.
    ..... 2nd tranny replacement 9/21/2009 @ 76,659 miles.
    1999 Sterling Mist Nissan Maxima SE with Bose and 6 Disc CD Changer in the trunk ... All Mine

1993 Maroon Ford Taurus GL (Was a POS after the clock turned 60K Miles) ... Traded for the Accord

alexmish1's Hidden Content
    alexmish1's Hidden Content

Originally posted by OdyMook

1. When installing the belt per the manual, would an assistant or zip ties help keep good tension on the camshaft pulleys until the belt is on?
    2. Your warning about the camshafts rotating are appropriate, but also quite dire. Is there any way to keep them from moving (c clamp, etc.) until the belt is back on? Or is this overkill?
    3. Would you say that getting the engine mount off was the biggest challenge of the whole evolution?

Thanks again for such a great write-up! Where do we send the beer or bucks?
    Thanks for the complement.

1. An assistant may help but what really is needed is a tool to hold the cam pulleys in place. Other cars use this type of tool, I am not sure why the Honda does not mention one. I will check the manual again to see if this is the case.
    2. see #1
    3. The engine mount removal takes some time but is not bad. The biggest challenge is getting the timing belt right. This is when you need to get out of the rip n tear mode and slow does, use your head. This will allow you to make one adjustment (if you miss it in the initial installation) instead of chasing it.

Cheers!

Re: Re: Gen 3 Timing Belt Write Up is Here!

Originally posted by dvpatel
    We can stick this thread but not many folks do their own Timing Belt changes. Plus there are already way too many sticky threads and folks just go right past 'em.

Hopefully, Dwayn will open up the tech section at some point and/or we can upload the PDFs. In the mean while, if you want your PDFs hosted on my webserver, please let me know and I will host 'em so that the files are still hosted even if you decide to move away from comcast.

Lets give it a few days to see how the site pans out before we sticky this.
    Thanks DV. I agree, this really belongs in the tech section. I just don't want this to get lost in the years to come. I have a tremendous amount of time in this and would like folks to continue to benefit from it.

I was going to check into putting on my google webspace so I can update if need be. Let's wait on that too.

Originally posted by JRabDawg
    wow! you are the man! I think I will let a Honda tech do mine while I stick to oil and ATF changes.
    Sometimes this is best. I have a lot of mechanical experience (I used to be an aircraft mechanic) and own a rather extensive tool collection.

A lot of getting this done is the confidence factor. If you are used to mechanical challenges, then you should be fine. If not, you may get frustrated.

Originally posted by desmo888
    Sometimes this is best. I have a lot of mechanical experience (I used to be an aircraft mechanic) and own a rather extensive tool collection.

A lot of getting this done is the confidence factor. If you are used to mechanical challenges, then you should be fine. If not, you may get frustrated.
    True that, I have never attempted brake pads...
    2010 Odyssey EX
    2013 Subaru Outback
    Previous Hondas:
    2002 Accord LX Sedan - SOLD 7/12
    1997 Accord EX Coupe
    1984 Accord Hatchback

Wow - that was impressive.

I think I'll be selling my Odyssey before I have to change the timing belt
    09 EXL-RES Baltic Blue
    Mods - roof rackLESS, middle row seat cupholders from 05, Grom Audio USB interface, Polk Audio speakers, Airlift 1000 suspension, Touring Storage Bin

How long did it take

Dave,

excellent write up. I read it all and I will print it just in case it gets lost over the years, since I have another 55k before the TB change. It really gave me confidence that I can do it and I will.
    So my question is how much time should I set aside to do it? How long did it take you, without taking into account the picture taking and writing of the pdf?
    TonyV

Re: How long did it take

Originally posted by svezarov

So my question is how much time should I set aside to do it? How long did it take you, without taking into account the picture taking and writing of the pdf?
    I don't know the exact hours but you should be able to knock it out in a day. A lot of time can be wasted if you do not have everything you need readily available - tools and materials.
    I would think with the write up and all proper items available, 6 hours should do it. I learned a few things the hard way. Hopefully the write up will allow folks to go a more direct route.
    The write up took at least as long as the procedure!

awesome

Pro work, pro pictures, pro guide. Bravo!

Yikes! I just looked it over for the first time since I released it. I have some clean up to do. I will try to get the update done this weekend. All minor stuff.

18. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast