I was charged for a timing belt tensioner during a timing belt change (Hondacare)
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I was charged for a timing belt tensioner during a timing belt change (Hondacare)

I was charged for a timing belt tensioner during a timing belt change (Hondacare)

Hi all,

I brought my wife's 2005 Ody in for the master cylinder recall this morning. When I brought it in they reminded me that I was due for a timing belt change (we have just over 99K miles on the van). I told them to do it.

I received a message at 2:00 and they said that the tensioner was leaking and needed to be replaced. I did not listen to the message till about 4:00 and they told me the van was holding up the lift so they just went ahead and replaced the tensioner. I asked if the tensioner (part only) was covered under my extended hondacare warranty.. they said no, its a "wear item". I paid over the phone ($150 extra for the part) and picked up the car after hours.

I was thinking about this at home this evening and decided to poke around, I seemed to remember that the tensioner was covered.

I found a couple places online that does mention that Hondacare covers the tensioner.. does this sound right to you all? I am thinking that I should probably get refunded for the $150 part??

Honda Care Extended Service Contract | Honda Cars of Bellevue | Omaha Honda Dealer | Bellevue Honda Dealer | Bellevue, Omaha, Council Bluffs, Offutt AFB, Lincoln, Nebraska, Iowa

Any insight or opinions welcome.

thanks,

-Bill
    2005 Odyssey EXL W/ RES & NAV
    2003 Silverado ECSB Z-71 LT
    1990 Corvette ZR-1 Red/Red #2193

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

cnn
    They should have replaced the WP + Idler Pulley as well.
    At 100K miles, who knows what will fail next.

Re: TB tensioner, if the extended policy says it covers then you should get your money back, but you have to submit the proper paperwork through proper address.
    cnn: 2007 Odyssey LX, R.I.P. May 2014

Super Moderator
    Sample Honda Care contract is here:
    http://www.curryhondacare.com/resour...leContract.pdf

See the following section:
    IV. WHAT IS NOT COVERED

I do not see the timing belt tensioner in the list, so I would expect it to be covered. Give Honda customer service a call to find out for sure.
    2008 Odyssey Touring non-PAX
    Silver Pearl Metallic w/ Black Interior
    Mobil 1 5W-20 with Honda Oil Filter 15400-PLM-A01 or 15400-PLM-A02
    Shell (or other Top-Tier Gas)
    Honda Care 6yr/120K from Bernardi Honda
    WeatherTech FloorLiner (1st, 2nd, 3rd Row)
    WeatherTech Cargo Liner (Coverage Area: Behind 2nd Seat)

TSBs applied: 07-045 (Brake Pedal Is Low and Feels Soft), 08-080 (Wind Noise or Rattle From Front Doors), 09-053 (Product Update: Lock-Up Clutch Judders Between 20–45 MPH / PCM Update for Lock-Up Clutch Function), 10-024 (No XM Sound, But XM Station Information Is Displayed)

Safety Recalls applied: 10-017 (Air In VSA Modulator-Control Unit Causes Low/Soft Brake Pedal)

Warranty Repairs: Torque converter replaced at 38,349 miles, Water passage replaced at 38,349 miles, HOSE A, WATER, HOSE C, WATER, and RUBBER, THERMOSTAT MOUNTING replaced at 39,673 miles. Second software update (unreleased and released) applied to PCM

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

$150 is absolutely insane given they had everything opened up already and the tensioner is a $40 part. Man I dread dealer service visits for that reason.

Joel
    2008 Honda Ody LX babe magnet.
    2012 Subaru Legacy 2.5i CVT.
    Vehicles of the past: 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe, 2007 Chevy Cobalt LS, 2001 Windstar, 2005 Trailblazer 4x4, 2002 Isuzu Rodeo 4x4 and lots more Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by MTPockets08 View Post
    $150 is absolutely insane given they had everything opened up already and the tensioner is a $40 part. Man I dread dealer service visits for that reason.

Joel

I just got some quote for my 2006 Odyssey EX. The cheapest for TB and WP is $895 without tensioner and seals. The tensioner cost extra $148 and the seals $80. Are these insane? I am at metro Denver.

Quote Originally Posted by JCL12 View Post
    I just got some quote for my 2006 Odyssey EX. The cheapest for TB and WP is $895 without tensioner and seals. The tensioner cost extra $148 and the seals $80. Are these insane? I am at metro Denver.
    Depends on market region and parts used. I do Aisin kit here installed with new spark plugs for $860

How much will it cost if you have to to go back in again in 20k miles and replace the water pump, tensioner (which often leak) or oil seals? Just do it and get it over with.
    2008 Odyssey Touring-Silver
    2011 VW Jetta SE-Black-Totaled
    2012 VW Passat-Black
    2002 GMC Sierra SLT LB Z71-Red
    1998 Nissan 200SX SE-Blue

REPLACE the tensioner, regardless it is leak or not. timing belt rarely broken, but tensioner fail quite often.

We don't drive our van that many miles per year. At 49K miles now on a 2010.

Could be another 5 years before I hit 100K miles. Can I wait and not do this timing belt or do I need to do it at 7yrs (so in 2017?)

You're driving an average number of miles, maybe slightly less. Remember that time deteriorates the belt, as does mileage.
    2008 Odyssey Touring-Silver
    2011 VW Jetta SE-Black-Totaled
    2012 VW Passat-Black
    2002 GMC Sierra SLT LB Z71-Red
    1998 Nissan 200SX SE-Blue

Quote Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
    How much will it cost if you have to to go back in again in 20k miles and replace the water pump, tensioner (which often leak) or oil seals? Just do it and get it over with.
    I tell this to people time and again, yea you save a few bucks right now but what about a few months from now.........was that few bucks really worth holding on to?

Quote Originally Posted by Hogan773 View Post
    We don't drive our van that many miles per year. At 49K miles now on a 2010.

Could be another 5 years before I hit 100K miles. Can I wait and not do this timing belt or do I need to do it at 7yrs (so in 2017?)
    I'd change it at the year interval for your driving habit, Even though the drivetime isn't set on the belt the installed time will still wear it and it will usually go out at the worst time.

Hi TSM,

The Aisin kit does not come with the camshaft and crankshaft seals. How much more it will cost for replacing 2 camshaft and one crankshaft seals. Will there be extra labor involved?

Hi TSM,

The Aisin kit does not come with the camshaft and crankshaft seals. How much more it will cost for replacing 2 camshaft and one crankshaft seals. Will there be extra labor involved?
    It adds about an hour in labor so that will depend on which shop you go to out in CO.
    The seals themselves are about $20 extra (total for all 3).

Hi TSM,

So basically, I should replace all the followings:

Timing belt, Water pump with gasket, Idler pulley, Tensioner pulley, Hydrolic tensioner, Front camshaft and crankshaft seals (2 camshaft and one crankshaft) and Serpentine belt.

What should be the price range?

Hi TSM,

So basically, I should replace all the followings:

Timing belt, Water pump with gasket, Idler pulley, Tensioner pulley, Hydrolic tensioner, Front camshaft and crankshaft seals (2 camshaft and one crankshaft) and Serpentine belt.

What should be the price range?
    $850-1250 installed out here in CA sir, i always add plugs too since it is also a wear item

18. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast