Brake upgrade is a success~ - Page 16
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: Brake upgrade is a success~

Quote Originally Posted by Richptl1 View Post
    Nice thread here. I drive a 2004 VW Jetta TDI wagon and the front brakes on that are about the same size as this gen 3 Odyssey, and I wish those were bigger. My wife and I look to buy a 2010 Odyssey and it now has 16" wheels. I'll start searching through junkyards for calipers/brackets. We're in the rust belt (as in car rust) here so if I get stock calipers/brackets I'll probably trade up to Raybestos zinc plated which don't cost too much if I send back the proper core.
    I'll search around on Craigslist and junkyards for 17" or 18" wheels.

This is an old thread but if anyone has any recent tips on what parts to buy and where I can find them, I would appreciate the input.

Wish me luck.
    U-pull junk yards aren't really a thing where I am, so I found some used calipers on Ebay. This was hit-or-miss. The Pilot front calipers I got are very nice, just need a bit of cleaning. The MDX rears were big balls of rust that vaguely looked like brake calipers, and one of the slide pins was seized up solid. I had to torch it out. I set up an electrolysis bath for the rears, and they came out pretty good, although I'm not done with them yet. Caliper rebuild kits were super cheap, so I'm going to rebuild all 4 prior to installation to get any old rubber out of there. Caliper rebuild kits, brake hardware kits, Centric rotors, two new rear caliper pins came from Rock Auto. Front and rear EBC Yellowstuff pads and Goodridge braided brake lines came from Amazon. I also got some paint for the rear calipers (might do front as well) to make sure they don't rust up again. My parts list:

Front calipers (2010 Pilot) - Auto dismantler via Ebay
    Rear calipers (2009 MDX) - Auto dismantler via Ebay
    Brake hardware kit (2010 Pilot front) - Rock Auto, Carlson 13555Q
    Brake hardware kit (2009 MDX rear) - Rock Auto, Carlson 13501Q
    Caliper pin kit (2009 MDX rear) - Rock Auto, Carlson 14202
    Caliper rebuild kit 2x (2010 Pilot front) - Rock Auto, Centric 143.40028
    Caliper rebuild kit 2x (2009 MDX rear) - Rock Auto, Centric 143.42034
    Front rotors 2x (2010 Pilot) - Rock Auto, Centric 12040071
    Rear rotors 2x (2009 MDX) - Rock Auto, Centric 12040072
    Front pads (2010 Pilot) - Amazon, EBC Yellowstuff DP41801R
    Rear pads (2009 MDX) - Amazon, EBC Yellowstuff DP41802R
    Stainless braided lines (2005 Odyssey) - Amazon, Goodridge G-Stop 20026

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

The Pilot brakes used to be an upgrade over at the Ridgeline forums, but now folks are starting switch to the MDX brakes as the front caliper piston sizes are a bit larger. Just like the Pilot, the MDX brakes are bolt on affair as well. The 330mm rotors and larger piston area offer good braking.

'10 MDX Caliper: 50.8mm | 2 Piston caliper | 4051.60 sq.mm | 330mm Front rotors
    '10 Pilot caliper: 47.5mm | 2 Piston Caliper | 3542.31 sq.mm | 330mm Front rotors
    '10 Ody caliper: 45.5mm | 2 Piston Caliper | 3250.29 sq.mm | 296mm Front rotors
    '10 Ridgeline Caliper: 44.0mm | 2 Piston Caliper | 3039.52 sq.mm | 296mm Front rotors.
    * Above numbers are for each front caliper, not both combined.

As you can see, for the OEM replacement/upgrade, the MDX provides the most brake torque thanks to its larger pad and piston area. They are all direct bolt ons but need their respective caliper brackets/carriers.
    - 2019 Elite w/Security Package | White Diamond Pearl | BD: 07/2018

Quote Originally Posted by smufguy View Post
    The Pilot brakes used to be an upgrade over at the Ridgeline forums, but now folks are starting switch to the MDX brakes as the front caliper piston sizes are a bit larger. Just like the Pilot, the MDX brakes are bolt on affair as well. The 330mm rotors and larger piston area offer good braking.

'10 Pilot caliper: 47.5mm | 2 Piston Caliper | 3542.31 sq.mm | 330mm Front rotors
    '10 Ridgeline Caliper: 44.0mm | 2 Piston Caliper | 3039.52 sq.mm | 296mm Front rotors.

As you can see, for the OEM replacement/upgrade, the MDX provides the most brake torque thanks to its larger pad and piston area. They are all direct bolt ons but need their respective caliper brackets/carriers.
    Okay I will work towards the MDX caliper and rotor approach.

In looking at wheels, I like the Pilot design as it looks like it will be easier to keep clean vs. the double spoke Odyssey oem wheels. Should I be concerned about fitment of the 17" Pilot oem wheels with the MDX Caliper?

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

I found 4 good Acura TL wheels at a local used parts warehouse, size 8Jx17ET55 $78.75 each. Odyssey stock would be 7Jx17ET50. So the new wheels are an inch wider with 5 mm more offset. I'll still use the 235/60R17 tire which can still fit on an 8" wide rim. Goodyear Assurance GT tires on sale with two rebates on Tirerack for $137 net each delivered. I looked around for a 255/55R17 tire but didn't find anything appealing. The Federal SS-595 is low cost but doesn't seem like a good choice for me in the snow belt.
    I'm still trying to figure out a good approach to get the 2010 MDX Caliper. Emailed Rockauto about sending in an Odyssey Caliper core for credit if I bought MDX Cardone calipers, no answer yet.

Quote Originally Posted by smufguy View Post

I think the issue with using the MDX calipers up front is that any upgrade involving swapping calipers with larger pistons will require proportionately more fluid to move said pistons, which translates to more pedal travel (unless the master cylinder is upgraded as well). According to what I've read on the forum here, it's not too significant when going to the 48mm Pilot calipers on the stock Ody MC, but I think it might be more of an issue when going to the 51mm MDX calipers. I'd find someone that has done that first and ask about it before jumping in.

Quote Originally Posted by Richptl1 View Post
    I found 4 good Acura TL wheels at a local used parts warehouse, size 8Jx17ET55 $78.75 each. Odyssey stock would be 7Jx17ET50. So the new wheels are an inch wider with 5 mm more offset. I'll still use the 235/60R17 tire which can still fit on an 8" wide rim. Goodyear Assurance GT tires on sale with two rebates on Tirerack for $137 net each delivered. I looked around for a 255/55R17 tire but didn't find anything appealing. The Federal SS-595 is low cost but doesn't seem like a good choice for me in the snow belt.
    I'm still trying to figure out a good approach to get the 2010 MDX Caliper. Emailed Rockauto about sending in an Odyssey Caliper core for credit if I bought MDX Cardone calipers, no answer yet.
    Make sure the TL wheels have the appropriate load rating for the van. I read something (I think in the giant depax thread) about the sedan wheels being able to bolt up, but not having the load rating required for the heavy Odyssey.

When I was looking at this a while back, the best deal I found on zinc plated calipers that don't require a core was on Amazon.
    R1 Concepts currently has a 2010 MDX front right caliper, zinc plated with bracket on Amazon for $84.07 w/ no core required and free shipping. Weirdly enough, the left front isn't currently listed but I'd shoot them an email and ask if they have it if you still wanted to go the MDX route.

Pilot ones are a bit cheaper, and they are currently showing both at $78.70/each.
    Left
    Right

Might want to take a look at this thread first before doing the pilot brake upgrade:
    https://www.odyclub.com/forums/52-20...o-instead.html

Quote Originally Posted by marvinstockman View Post
    If you can find a quiet section of highway, put out a marker, drive past the marker at 60 mph and slam on the brakes. Measure the stopping distance, which should be about 140'. From 30 mph, it'll probably be about 30 to 40 feet, but again, you've got to slam the pedal.
    So, I did try this out and I think I know what is going on in my specific case. Everytime we have had a scare, the van was fully loaded to the brim. It has stopped fine with the same load too.

I tried to make a panic stop from 60 and was able to complete it just fine. Van was not loaded. Just the Mrs and I. The pedal has not felt bad at all so its likely not the air in the system.

After a couple of these heavy stop trials (I admit, I did not measure the stopping distance in feet), the brake fade kicked in and then the stopping distance grew.

That means, I need new pads I think. I was planning out the whole upgrade which while I can get the 4 corners of the calipers for a song, I need new wheels and bigger tires, I think I will just get new pads and take it from there.
    When I use this smilie ===> Hidden Content I am NOT calling you stupid. Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the Hidden Content .

2007 EX-L R&N, Slate Green with Olive (couldn't muster up the courage to trade my 1999 baby) ... Ours

2001 Emerald Green Pearl Accord V6-LX (Replaced the POS Taurus) ... Hers ...
    ..... Tranny replaced 6/4/08 @ 67,977 miles.
    ..... Tranny strarted slipping only 8,414 miles after the replacemnt.
    ..... 2nd tranny replacement 9/21/2009 @ 76,659 miles.
    1999 Sterling Mist Nissan Maxima SE with Bose and 6 Disc CD Changer in the trunk ... All Mine

1993 Maroon Ford Taurus GL (Was a POS after the clock turned 60K Miles) ... Traded for the Accord

alexmish1's Hidden Content
    alexmish1's Hidden Content

I did the upgrade and drove to Mississippi this weekend to visit my daughter. I had a good test of the brakes when someone swerved in front of me to take an exit in Pennsylvania. The biggest drama I had was with the calipers.

I ordered MDX calipers from R1 Concepts, the price was good at $183.60 delivered for a pair. But they cancelled the order and sent my money back as they were unable to fulfill the order.

I emailed RockAuto about sending Odyssey Calipers back on a core credit for purchase of MDX Calipers, and they replied that the calipers returned had to match the ones bought. So I got a pair of Cardone calipers, part #s 19P-3278 and 19P-3279. These are zinc coated for MDX with brackets. Total cost with core charge, tax, and shipping delivered was $303.66. The pistons didn't measure any larger than the old calipers. I did not check the caliper to bracket slide bolt torque, figured they were tightened correctly. My wife called about a clunking sound when she was 10 miles from home last week. Both bolts had fallen out on one side. I went to Autozone and bought a new bolt/glide pin set for $15 and used the bolts. The bolts are M10x1.25 fine thread high strength 9.5. I tightened to 40 ft-lb and checked the other side, they were already tightened to around 35 ft-lb, added a little bit more. Must be the slide pin bolts were not torqued on the one side.

The Goodridge G-Stop 20026 stainless hose set was $133.86 delivered from Amazon. Definitely worth doing just this if nothing else on these cars. Nice product.

Brake pads were Centric and Wagner corrosion resistant rotors. Rockauto again. Pads part # 500.13780 and rotors BD180044E. Total delivered with tax $189.36.

We'll see how everything looks after a couple of New York winters of salt exposure.

I'll sell the oem calipers with rotors and pads. It's nice to have the 330 mm rotors now vs 300, but this upgrade was more of a headache than I had hoped for.

DAMN! A very intense lesson to be learned. Could of ended REALLY badly. Always torque every single part of the suspension and brake components, especially on a minivan!

If someone still decides to go with the pilot BBK, go with OEM calipers. I had no success with aftermarket calipers in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by MrRangerZr1 View Post
    DAMN! A very intense lesson to be learned. Could of ended REALLY badly. Always torque every single part of the suspension and brake components, especially on a minivan!

If someone still decides to go with the pilot BBK, go with OEM calipers. I had no success with aftermarket calipers in the past.
    I'm not sure you read my post correctly. I bought bracketed calipers and the bolts which fell out were installed by Cardone. One side seemed to be around 35 ft-lb as when I checked them with my torque wrench, I tightened them only slightly more to get to 40. All of the bolts I installed, I did use torque wrenches, I have a 1/4" 20-200 in-lb torque wrench for little fasteners which I used for the banjo bolts. I used the spec from Goodridge on their banjo bolts. I didn't use a torque wrench for the 10 mm flare nuts on the solid brake lines, not sure if hardly anyone goes through the trouble to get a special torque wrench set-up for brake line flare nuts, although in the HVAC business we do see specs for flare nuts on brass fittings and some manufacturers do offer a special tool to torque them.

Plus I was expecting 50 mm pistons and they were smaller.

Lesson on this for me is that Cardone isn't a quality manufacturer. We'll see how the calipers hold up compared to the Raybestos zinc coated front calipers on my Jetta.

OEM might be good quality, but will rust fast in New York state.

As far as babysitting a manufacturer to check they did their job correctly, my Jetta is a good example of why that isn't always possible. A good many of the bolts on that car are single use TTY. They are torqued to a low setting then a spec is provided for a fraction of a turn past that setting. There is no practical way to verify someone else did their job correctly with those bolts.

13. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516