Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Brake upgrade is a success~

169K views 339 replies 105 participants last post by  dvpatel 
#1 ·
Recently upgraded my '09 Ody EXL's brakes to '10 Pilot calipers/rotor/pads... and the stopping power was there!

Today I brought the Ody to work, and let my co-worker test drive it... he's been curious to my results, since he's had brake issues on his '07 Ody.
Anyway, after test driving and a quick fwy sprint... he said he's going to order a set for himself... :DD

Best way to describe is... before, the brakes felt like they were trying to stop something that doesnt want to stop... like a big dog on a leash that's dragging you.
After the brake swap, it feels like driving a normal car. It stops when YOU want it to... The dog is obedient. :rockon:

#35 ·
I also just put on some BMW X5 wheels with the same specs 18 x 8.5 +48 and I'm considering the Pilot brake upgrade as well. The caliper clearance is TIGHT. I can't answer the question about how much wider the Pilot caliper is, but very interested. Keep in mind that the Pilot rotor is over an inch larger in diameter, so it will push the caliper outward where wheel clearance is less of an issue (on my X5 wheels anyway).

You should already be using hubcentric rings to compensate for the difference in Honda vs BMW hub diameter, but they won't do anything to push the wheels away from the hub. I think you're referring to wheel spacers, which is what we will both need if clearance is an issue with the pilot calipers.

#37 ·
EricW - good point about Pilot rotors being thicker. Hopefully this will push out the wheel out to give me/us some needed space to clear larger Pilot caliper.

I don't know when I'll gather needed parts to do the upgrade. If I do it before you do, I'll post my result here.

OUZO Power - If EricW is correct, he and I may not need spacers. Yes sir, I have hub rings.

Thank you both for your input, and everyone on this forum. And Joe for the brake upgrade option.

#39 ·
Awesome contribution!

We went from a 01' van to a 10' & both the wife & I felt that the old van stopped better then the new 1.

Since it seems like we need new pads, now is the time for this upgrade!

I am looking into buying new parts now.

Has anyone looked tried an aftermarket ceramic pad?

#41 ·
Sorry, but can't tell you the difference in clearance needed for the calipers. Wish I took some pics and more comparison notes...
As for the rotors, technically, they're 1.3" larger in diameter than the stock wheels. If you were to swap to Ridgeline brakes, those would b 1" larger than the ody's... but if you are going to swap, why go less? The point is to get the best brakes possible, so the MDX rotors are nice. Also, ceramic pads dust way less, but they dont have as much stopping power. As for pads, I'd recommend getting oem pad set for the first round, because they come with the shim backings, and spring clips needed. I'm not sure if aftermarket pads come with them. (and the Ody doesn't use them).

I got my rotors at performancebrakes.com for about $130-150 a pair. Seems to work fine.

#42 ·
Best pricing I have found is about $670 for Honda OEM parts 2010 Pilot. This is from Majestic Honda: caliper sub assemblies/rotors/pad set/crush washers.

If anyone can get better pricing let me know.

#44 ·
IS there a definative answer on what size wheel is necessary to clear? I have a depaxed odyssey with a 17" oem rim, Im curious if someone has done this or if someone has the measurement for the required clearance for this upgrade. Just sort of changes the scope of the project going from either a $600 brake upgrade to a $3000 rim tire brake setup.

#45 ·
What OEM wheel exactly do yo have? I believe the oem pilot wheels are 17x7.5 and offset +45... so there's your ballpark to start with.

If cost is an issue, you don't have to get new $2400 wheels and tires. Worst case scenerio would be to swap out the 17 rims to a known (clearing) fitment, and keep your tires.
Most likely though, your current oem depax'd 17"s might fit fine.

#46 ·
its the 17x7 5 spoke 2008 rims.. example below from CHH retrofit kit.

http://www.collegehillshonda.com/storeart/depaxkits/touringnonpax.jpg

For me the issue is that I just bought new tires for those rims. So Id rather not swap/sell again to buy new rims and brakes... Id prefer to go the cheaper of the routes by keeping my wheels IF POSSIBLE... If I have to trade/swap wheels Ill likely live with what I have untill the tires go bad, then swap..

#112 · (Edited)
It works, just did it today and have those wheels.

R1 concepts calipers and premium blanks. Oem pad set with shims and spreader springs. Also 4 new rotor screws. Oem stuff from majestic honda.

very happy with upgrade. Props joe for the info.

#47 ·
Dont quote me on this, but I think the Pilot caliper is 4-5mm further out. See if you have more than 5mm clearance on your wheels.
Another option is to use a very thin 2-4 mm wheels spacer. This would be so thing it won't make any difference in handling or safety... just helps you with clearance.
(if you go this route, then spray some adhesive like 3M super77 and stick the spacer plate onto the hub, as centered as possible. This will give you trouble free use.)

#48 ·
I just ordered a set for our 08 touring. I also got the premium blank rotors from r1concepts , cost little more but best quality.

Question is do I need to order the 10 pilot caliper bolts? I know it wasnt mentioned here but I thought I read on another thread.

Also Im hoping they will fit a PAX wheel since our tires new ( measure the rim to be at least 17")

#49 ·
i figured the 16" ers were too small.....damn! i need pads and rotors like yesterday - oh well.......even if i get 20s, the snowies will be on the pinners, so I'm still s.o.l.. you van looks great dude, and i strive to make my 07 look like yours! thx for the info!

#50 ·
You dont need any new bolts. If you buy the calipers new from Honda, then they come mounted on a carrier already. The bolts for the carrier to caliper is bigger than the Ody, but they come assembled. Just reuse the bolts used to mount the carrier to the hub. Dont forget the crush washers for the brake line--> caliper (banjo bolt).

Oh, and brakes still feel great!! I might do a swap on my ridgeline too...

#51 ·
thanks,

will pick up the pads from Diamond Honda in Puente Hills, they have a 20% off coupon for parts sold on Friday and Sat.
Just hoping they fit the PAX wheel.
on a side note I wish Honda had a 4 piston oem caliper like Infiniti, I installed a akebono caliper from a FX50S/G37S into my FX35... night and day difference.

I'll let everyone know how it went once I finish the swap.

#52 · (Edited)
brake upgrade went smooth except I striped the screws that hold the rotor to the spindle.
I just drilled them out and replace them. I think replacing them is a good idea anyways since they are very cheap at the dealer ($.68). I bought 4 of them for $2.94

screw P/N 93600-06014-0H

I also bought the calipers from R1concepts for $150 each, they are oem rebuilds and they came with new crush washers. But I really like the premium rotors I got, much better metal composition and they are paint for rust prevention

I not sure about the brake pedal feel right now, I did bleed the brakes but it does travel further before I get a good engagement. Not sure if this is normal with this upgrade or if I needed to re-bleed.

thanks for the info OP

#93 ·
I not sure about the brake pedal feel right now, I did bleed the brakes but it does travel further before I get a good engagement. Not sure if this is normal with this upgrade or if I needed to re-bleed.
I just had the new Pilot setup installed Wednesday (OEM Calipers, Techna-fit lines, Brake Performance Dimpled/Slotted rotors front & rear, and their Premium pads, which are Posi-Quiets) and have also noticed that there is more travel before the brakes engage. I'm still in the bedding phase as the black zinc coating is not gone completely but wanted to know if others who have converted experienced increased brake pedal travel too? I drive with hand controls from a wheelchair so the increased travel is changing my functionality by requiring more arm reach, which inherently reduces strength, despite overall stronger braking.

That said, I've noticed the increased braking power on several sudden-stop test I did on local roads, including down hills, of which there are quite a few of here in Seattle. It feels a lot better being able to stop quicker--relying on the stock Ody brakes was a bit nerve-wracking. A big thanks to Joe and others for sharing this info! :)

Land vehicle Alloy wheel Tire Vehicle Rim

#54 ·
Glad you guys like it! When we first got out '09 Ody (used), we thought it would be just enough to hold us over until we find a good '11+ model... but now we have no reason to trade it.
Slowing down from freeway off ramps, and downhills are much better too.

As for the lower pedal... yes, we noticed it too. I thought I still had to bleed it more, but after multiple bleeds, it wasn't going to change much. It was still a tad lower, than the original brakes, but once they grab.. man they grab. No more sliding butter brakes. I guess that's the nature of this swap... slightly lower brake pedal (maybe from the bigger pistons), but once you get used to it.. it feels normal too. We already forgot what the old brake pedal felt like. Just happy w/ the way it is now.

#58 ·
Well just wanted to add my bit.I love this upgrade but couldn't do it because I use 16" rims on winter tires in the cold months.

So I just did an OEM size front rotor and pad swap with drilled rotors and I must say what a difference. I'm very pleased.

#60 ·
All the posts are great to hear regarding this upgrade. For those of us who are concerned with the factory spare fitting the Pilot disc and caliper upgrade (De-PAXers like me), may hesitate before plunging into this mod. Though I am eager to do this mod for the safety, I am concerned about the length of time spent on the side of the road if I were to jack up the car twice to change the tire and switch the spare to the rear. With my concerns listed, It's great to hear other posts like OUZO's that have upgraded the stock units to drilled to gain the edge over the OEM setup. I have R1 concepts slotted rotors sitting in the garage ready to go on out Ody. Sorry for the long post.

#61 ·
To be honest, I never took out the spare tire yet, to see what it clears, but in general, most space saver rims are bigger in diameter than the main wheels the cars roll on. I should check someday, but the should be 17" or larger. I also have a spare, Ridgline space saver wheel/tire (upgraded to a full size for the truck)... so that might be thrown in the mix if needed.

As for ABS lockup.. never had it lock up once! The ABS will not allow it since it will release it from locking.. thus, doing its job... however, we've never had the ABS kick in either~
I do have 245 wide, performance rated tires, so I'm sure that helps too.

My wife has already had several instances where the car in front of her stops suddenly (there was something in front of them, that no cars behind could see), and swears the brakes prevented an accident... I know I sound like a broken record... but serious, the brakes STOP the van w/o any effort. Just like it should. the original brakes were just scary... lots of sliding (weak brake power?), which lead to heavier brake pedal mashing... which leads to brakes overheating, which leads to brakes warping... which leads to replacing brakes again (cutting rotors is only a band-aid fix)...etc.

I know it's not for everyone... but do it if you can. In my book, this is pretty cheap for a bigger brake upgrade... and all original Honda parts too. (well sort of.. I used aftermarket, oem spec rotors).