Brake upgrade is a success~ - Page 2
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

    Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!
     
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 235

Thread: Brake upgrade is a success~

  1. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Toronto/Brooklin
    Posts
    296
    Quote Originally Posted by joe422 View Post

    4) I use in the spring, summer & fall 18" rims. But in the winter I use the stock 16" rims outfited with winter tires. Will the stock 16" rims clear the caliper?
    -- You will need a minimum 17" wheel for clearance.
    Well thats the deal braker.

    Thanks for taking the time to answer.
    - 2010 Mercedes Bens ML550
    - 2005 Honda Odyssey EX-L NAV/RES

    Hidden Content

  2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    232
    Quote Originally Posted by OUZO Power View Post
    Well thats the deal breaker.
    That's too bad...

  4. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Dayton Ohio...Americas playground!
    Posts
    35
    I just received my new Pilot calipers and SS brake lines. Hopefully the rotors will be here next week. I will say that the pilot calipers are def bigger than what it has. Ill take some pics of the differences when Im doing the conversion. Should be cool. I still cant believe Im doing a minivan brake upgrade

  5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #19
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    134
    I've only had my '08 EXL for a couple of weeks, but I immediately noticed that it had less stopping power than my old '00. Getting some 18"s put on next week and will definitely be doing this upgrade the first time it needs front brakes, if not sooner. Thanks for the report!
    Eric W

    2014 TE White Diamond Pearl w/68K

    2008 EX-L Baltic Blue Pearl w/230K (soon to be for sale), BMW X5 wheels with 245/50/18, Tranny #1 Hidden Content

    2000 GG EX w/244K (sold), Katzkin leather kit, Tranny #3

  7. #20
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Dayton Ohio...Americas playground!
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by EricW View Post
    I've only had my '08 EXL for a couple of weeks, but I immediately noticed that it had less stopping power than my old '00. Getting some 18"s put on next week and will definitely be doing this upgrade the first time it needs front brakes, if not sooner. Thanks for the report!
    Eric, I have a pair of new Pilot calipers, drilled and slotted rotors (black plated so they stay looking nice, from Brake performance) Premium brake pads (also from Brake performance) and new SS brake lines. I am second guessing doing the conversion since I would rather spend the $ on one of my other cars. Ill sell it all for $400 and can meet you in Cinci if that is convienant. Ill also include enough OEM BMW brake fluid for the conversion. If they dont sell quickly Il probavbly put them on and I will take pics with a comparison etc. Thanks, Mark

  8. #21
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Dayton Ohio...Americas playground!
    Posts
    35
    Here are a few pictures of all the parts necessary. And a pic of the stock small calipers on my wifes van.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Brake upgrade is a success~-bbk-001.jpg   Brake upgrade is a success~-bbk-002.jpg   Brake upgrade is a success~-bbk-003.jpg   Brake upgrade is a success~-bbk-004.jpg   Brake upgrade is a success~-bbk-005.jpg  


  9. #22
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    134
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrerax View Post
    Eric, I have a pair of new Pilot calipers, drilled and slotted rotors (black plated so they stay looking nice, from Brake performance) Premium brake pads (also from Brake performance) and new SS brake lines. I am second guessing doing the conversion since I would rather spend the $ on one of my other cars. Ill sell it all for $400 and can meet you in Cinci if that is convienant. Ill also include enough OEM BMW brake fluid for the conversion. If they dont sell quickly Il probavbly put them on and I will take pics with a comparison etc. Thanks, Mark
    Thanks for the offer, Mark. I wasn't going to do this for awhile due to the cash dropped on the wheels and tires, but if the deal's good enough, I may jump on it I'll shoot you a PM.
    Eric W

    2014 TE White Diamond Pearl w/68K

    2008 EX-L Baltic Blue Pearl w/230K (soon to be for sale), BMW X5 wheels with 245/50/18, Tranny #1 Hidden Content

    2000 GG EX w/244K (sold), Katzkin leather kit, Tranny #3

  10. #23
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    In my house :)
    Posts
    63
    Joe422 what are you using for a spare tire?

    If the factory 16" wheels won't fit, I'm assuming the factory spare tire won't fit either.

    Would we need to upgrade to a 09+ Pilot spare wheel and tire as well?
    2004 GMC Savana Conversion 2500 series (toy Hauler)
    1998 Integra GSR B20VTEC 13:1 (wifes toy)
    1989 CRX turbo GSR (toy)
    2007 RDX tech (sold) Hidden Content
    2005 Ody Touring depaxed (Wifey daily)

    Come check out my youtube channel for autox/hpde vids
    Hidden Content
    dont forget to rate, comment, and subcribe

  11. #24
    Registered User djmdx2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    AL
    Posts
    731
    Wow, this looks like an interesting "BBK" upgrade. I once tried acquiring a K Sport BBK but it didn't fit. Will have to look into this. I did get EBC (?) rotors and pads for the rear and there's a noticeable bite. I still have stock fronts since the K Sport adventure fizzled out.

  12. #25
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Dayton Ohio...Americas playground!
    Posts
    35
    Brake kit is sold. Thanks DJ.

  13. #26
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    5
    I have also successfully performed the upgrade to our 2006 Touring. I bought 09+ pilot calipers / brackets / rotors / pads. The whole job wasn't any harder than your typical brake job with the only significant change being replacing the calipers.

    I've only put a few miles on so far but seems like once the pads are all seated in their will be a great brake improvement.

    BTW I did the math and the pilot calipers vs the stock odyssey calipers have a 8.3% greater surface area which should result in approx 8% lower pedal but I believe the mechanical torque gains from the larger diameter rotors should easily offset that concern!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Brake upgrade is a success~-front-new2.jpg   Brake upgrade is a success~-front-upgrade.jpg   Brake upgrade is a success~-front-stock1.jpg   Brake upgrade is a success~-front-old.jpg  

  14. #27
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    232
    My Ridgeline used to feel like it stopped better than my Ody. After this swap on the Ody, it makes the Ridgeline's brakes feel weak.

  15. #28
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    In my house :)
    Posts
    63
    Quote Originally Posted by 02blowngt View Post
    I have also successfully performed the upgrade to our 2006 Touring. I bought 09+ pilot calipers / brackets / rotors / pads. The whole job wasn't any harder than your typical brake job with the only significant change being replacing the calipers.

    I've only put a few miles on so far but seems like once the pads are all seated in their will be a great brake improvement.

    BTW I did the math and the pilot calipers vs the stock odyssey calipers have a 8.3% greater surface area which should result in approx 8% lower pedal but I believe the mechanical torque gains from the larger diameter rotors should easily offset that concern!

    Have you checked the fit of the Odyssey spare tire to see if it'll clear the new calipers?

    I asked Joe422 but seems he missed my post a few posts up
    2004 GMC Savana Conversion 2500 series (toy Hauler)
    1998 Integra GSR B20VTEC 13:1 (wifes toy)
    1989 CRX turbo GSR (toy)
    2007 RDX tech (sold) Hidden Content
    2005 Ody Touring depaxed (Wifey daily)

    Come check out my youtube channel for autox/hpde vids
    Hidden Content
    dont forget to rate, comment, and subcribe

  16. #29
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    219
    On the spare, worst case scenario would be that the spare won't fit over the caliper requiring you to:

    1. Put spare on rear wheel.
    2. Move rear wheel to front.

    So, you'd have to jack the van up twice on the side of the road.
    2006 Touring

  17. #30
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepless247 View Post
    Have you checked the fit of the Odyssey spare tire to see if it'll clear the new calipers?

    I asked Joe422 but seems he missed my post a few posts up
    No I have not checked it either, but I thought I could always put the spare on the rear which is actually safer anyways for the weight and stability reasons.

  18. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements
     

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. OEM Brake upgrade possible
    By joe422 in forum 2005 - 2010 Odyssey
    Replies: 149
    Last Post: 07-31-2017, 11:51 PM
  2. brake upgrade for 5th gen ody
    By ziggy_odyssey in forum Performance Mods
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-13-2008, 07:19 PM
  3. big brake upgrade
    By CruzNOdy in forum 1999 - 2004 Odyssey
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-19-2006, 12:09 AM
  4. Need Advice On Possible Brake Upgrade
    By SpaceOdyssey in forum Performance Mods
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-23-2003, 03:17 AM
  5. Pioneer 1665 Upgrade Success
    By rakmann in forum Audio, Video, Security & Navigation
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-13-2001, 01:54 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.2