Brake upgrade is a success~ - Page 3
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Brake upgrade is a success~

Good point.

Have you thought about a pilot spare tire at all? I wonder if it would fit in the factory location?
    2004 GMC Savana Conversion 2500 series (toy Hauler)
    1998 Integra GSR B20VTEC 13:1 (wifes toy)
    1989 CRX turbo GSR (toy)
    2007 RDX tech (sold) Hidden Content
    2005 Ody Touring depaxed (Wifey daily)

Come check out my youtube channel for autox/hpde vids
    Hidden Content
    dont forget to rate, comment, and subcribe

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by sleepless247 View Post
    Good point.

Have you thought about a pilot spare tire at all? I wonder if it would fit in the factory location?
    One of these days I'll check the spare tire for fitment. I would be more worried about the pilot space tire fitting in the cramped spare tire location of the odyssey.

The spare tire location on the third row barely fits the donut spare I got from Bernardi. I doubt if it will fit a regular size tire. IIRC, there used to be a kit that you attached to the third row or in the lazy Susan location. But my memory fails.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Need help and guidance... I put 03 BMW X5 wheels on with plans to install Pilot calipers. However, I noticed there isn't much room between front caliper and the wheel. X5 wheel spec is as follows: 18 x 8.5 +48. They do look GOOD though.

Is Pilot caliper much wider? By how much? Do I need hubcentric ring? Is there 5mm hubcentric ring?

You guidance is very much appreciated.

I also just put on some BMW X5 wheels with the same specs 18 x 8.5 +48 and I'm considering the Pilot brake upgrade as well. The caliper clearance is TIGHT. I can't answer the question about how much wider the Pilot caliper is, but very interested. Keep in mind that the Pilot rotor is over an inch larger in diameter, so it will push the caliper outward where wheel clearance is less of an issue (on my X5 wheels anyway).

You should already be using hubcentric rings to compensate for the difference in Honda vs BMW hub diameter, but they won't do anything to push the wheels away from the hub. I think you're referring to wheel spacers, which is what we will both need if clearance is an issue with the pilot calipers.
    Eric W

2014 TE White Diamond Pearl w/68K

2008 EX-L Baltic Blue Pearl w/230K (soon to be for sale), BMW X5 wheels with 245/50/18, Tranny #1 Hidden Content

2000 GG EX w/244K (sold), Katzkin leather kit, Tranny #3

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    Is Pilot caliper much wider? By how much? Do I need hubcentric ring? Is there 5mm hubcentric ring?

You guidance is very much appreciated.
    I have different BMW rims. I know mine will work with this upgrade. But if your going with BMW rims regardless if you do the brake upgrade or not you better be using Hubcentric rings.

I think what you need is Spacers. Get BMW spacers and use a hubcentric ring on the spacers.
    - 2010 Mercedes Bens ML550
    - 2005 Honda Odyssey EX-L NAV/RES

Hidden Content

EricW - good point about Pilot rotors being thicker. Hopefully this will push out the wheel out to give me/us some needed space to clear larger Pilot caliper.

I don't know when I'll gather needed parts to do the upgrade. If I do it before you do, I'll post my result here.

OUZO Power - If EricW is correct, he and I may not need spacers. Yes sir, I have hub rings.

Thank you both for your input, and everyone on this forum. And Joe for the brake upgrade option.

those of you who did the brake upgrade, what wheel and size (diameter x width & offset) did you use please? Pics would be wonderful.

Thank you.

Awesome contribution!

We went from a 01' van to a 10' & both the wife & I felt that the old van stopped better then the new 1.

Since it seems like we need new pads, now is the time for this upgrade!

I am looking into buying new parts now.

Has anyone looked tried an aftermarket ceramic pad?

2010 Pilot rotor PN: 45251 STX A00

They run ~$130- ea from the dealer. I didnt check with acura, as i figured they would be more, due to the name.

*** Anyone else perform this mod on thier van? if so, please relay your insight.

Sorry, but can't tell you the difference in clearance needed for the calipers. Wish I took some pics and more comparison notes...
    As for the rotors, technically, they're 1.3" larger in diameter than the stock wheels. If you were to swap to Ridgeline brakes, those would b 1" larger than the ody's... but if you are going to swap, why go less? The point is to get the best brakes possible, so the MDX rotors are nice. Also, ceramic pads dust way less, but they dont have as much stopping power. As for pads, I'd recommend getting oem pad set for the first round, because they come with the shim backings, and spring clips needed. I'm not sure if aftermarket pads come with them. (and the Ody doesn't use them).

I got my rotors at performancebrakes.com for about $130-150 a pair. Seems to work fine.

Best pricing I have found is about $670 for Honda OEM parts 2010 Pilot. This is from Majestic Honda: caliper sub assemblies/rotors/pad set/crush washers.

If anyone can get better pricing let me know.
    2003 Havasu Blue Metallic EX-L
    Done:
    eBay Cross Bars | Sylvania ZXE | 13 Piece LED Interior | 2005 Rear Wiper |
    Pep Boys Shorty Antenna | Window Tint - 50% Front - 35% Rear |

__________________________________________________ _____________________
    2008 Taffeta White Touring RIP 06/01/2013
    (Pilot Brake Swap | Optima Yellow Top | LED Interior | eBay Cross Bars | iSimple iPod and HD Radio)

------
    Last edited by evo_van; 03-28-2012 at 04:11 PM.

IS there a definative answer on what size wheel is necessary to clear? I have a depaxed odyssey with a 17" oem rim, Im curious if someone has done this or if someone has the measurement for the required clearance for this upgrade. Just sort of changes the scope of the project going from either a $600 brake upgrade to a $3000 rim tire brake setup.

What OEM wheel exactly do yo have? I believe the oem pilot wheels are 17x7.5 and offset +45... so there's your ballpark to start with.

If cost is an issue, you don't have to get new $2400 wheels and tires. Worst case scenerio would be to swap out the 17 rims to a known (clearing) fitment, and keep your tires.
    Most likely though, your current oem depax'd 17"s might fit fine.

18. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast