Brake upgrade is a success~ - Page 4
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Brake upgrade is a success~

its the 17x7 5 spoke 2008 rims.. example below from CHH retrofit kit.

http://www.collegehillshonda.com/sto...ringnonpax.jpg

For me the issue is that I just bought new tires for those rims. So Id rather not swap/sell again to buy new rims and brakes... Id prefer to go the cheaper of the routes by keeping my wheels IF POSSIBLE... If I have to trade/swap wheels Ill likely live with what I have untill the tires go bad, then swap..

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Dont quote me on this, but I think the Pilot caliper is 4-5mm further out. See if you have more than 5mm clearance on your wheels.
    Another option is to use a very thin 2-4 mm wheels spacer. This would be so thing it won't make any difference in handling or safety... just helps you with clearance.
    (if you go this route, then spray some adhesive like 3M super77 and stick the spacer plate onto the hub, as centered as possible. This will give you trouble free use.)

I just ordered a set for our 08 touring. I also got the premium blank rotors from r1concepts , cost little more but best quality.

Question is do I need to order the 10 pilot caliper bolts? I know it wasnt mentioned here but I thought I read on another thread.

Also Im hoping they will fit a PAX wheel since our tires new ( measure the rim to be at least 17")
    2008 Honda Odyssey Touring Baltic Blue Pearl

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

i figured the 16" ers were too small.....damn! i need pads and rotors like yesterday - oh well.......even if i get 20s, the snowies will be on the pinners, so I'm still s.o.l.. you van looks great dude, and i strive to make my 07 look like yours! thx for the info!
    07' Odyssey EX-L - ocean mist met, Anthracite 18" M5's
    06' Mustang GT vert - 20s, intake, exhaust, tuned
    72' Chevelle - SBC stocker
    Hidden Content

You dont need any new bolts. If you buy the calipers new from Honda, then they come mounted on a carrier already. The bolts for the carrier to caliper is bigger than the Ody, but they come assembled. Just reuse the bolts used to mount the carrier to the hub. Dont forget the crush washers for the brake line--> caliper (banjo bolt).

Oh, and brakes still feel great!! I might do a swap on my ridgeline too...

thanks,

will pick up the pads from Diamond Honda in Puente Hills, they have a 20% off coupon for parts sold on Friday and Sat.
    Just hoping they fit the PAX wheel.
    on a side note I wish Honda had a 4 piston oem caliper like Infiniti, I installed a akebono caliper from a FX50S/G37S into my FX35... night and day difference.

I'll let everyone know how it went once I finish the swap.

brake upgrade went smooth except I striped the screws that hold the rotor to the spindle.
    I just drilled them out and replace them. I think replacing them is a good idea anyways since they are very cheap at the dealer ($.68). I bought 4 of them for $2.94

screw P/N 93600-06014-0H

I also bought the calipers from R1concepts for $150 each, they are oem rebuilds and they came with new crush washers. But I really like the premium rotors I got, much better metal composition and they are paint for rust prevention

I not sure about the brake pedal feel right now, I did bleed the brakes but it does travel further before I get a good engagement. Not sure if this is normal with this upgrade or if I needed to re-bleed.

thanks for the info OP
    Last edited by theMerchant; 05-06-2012 at 04:55 PM.

quick update, wife drove it to work and she even noticed the difference. She loves it and is happy which means Im happy

Glad you guys like it! When we first got out '09 Ody (used), we thought it would be just enough to hold us over until we find a good '11+ model... but now we have no reason to trade it.
    Slowing down from freeway off ramps, and downhills are much better too.

As for the lower pedal... yes, we noticed it too. I thought I still had to bleed it more, but after multiple bleeds, it wasn't going to change much. It was still a tad lower, than the original brakes, but once they grab.. man they grab. No more sliding butter brakes. I guess that's the nature of this swap... slightly lower brake pedal (maybe from the bigger pistons), but once you get used to it.. it feels normal too. We already forgot what the old brake pedal felt like. Just happy w/ the way it is now.

Quote Originally Posted by joe422 View Post
    Yeap.. I did the upgrade myself... I took a bit further with stainless steel braided brake lines (all 6), and DOT4 synthetic brake fluid /flush... but in reality, all you need are the following...

45018-SZA-A01 caliper R ('10 Honda Pilot caliper assembly with carrier)
    45019-SZA-A00 caliper L
    45022-SZA-A00 pads (oem pad set is nice because it comes with backing plates, anti squeal compound, and wire springs to spread the pads)
    46472-568-000 x4 (crush washers for banjo bolts... brake line at the caliper)
    -Your choice of front brake rotors from: '09+ Honda Pilot / '07+ Acura MDX / '11+ Acura ZDX (they're all the same)
    -Brake fluid. 1 liter should be more than enough.

If you know how to change brake pads, rotors, and bleed brakes (fronts only)...this job will be a piece of cake.
    Hi Joe,

I have a 2007 Touring and if I order everything you've listed plus the 2010 Pilot rotors I should be able to do the conversion? I just wanted to make sure before I order all the parts. Thanks!

Pete
    Last edited by Socal Pete; 06-04-2012 at 07:13 PM.

Yes... That's all you need to buy, assuming your current wheels will fit over the brakes. (17" min)

I just depax last Friday. I bought from Mike Tran and got myself some 18" wheels. I will order the parts tomorrow. Thanks again Joe!

Well just wanted to add my bit.I love this upgrade but couldn't do it because I use 16" rims on winter tires in the cold months.

So I just did an OEM size front rotor and pad swap with drilled rotors and I must say what a difference. I'm very pleased.
    - 2010 Mercedes Bens ML550
    - 2005 Honda Odyssey EX-L NAV/RES

Hidden Content

Just curious...have any of you who have done the Pilot upgrade found that the wheels are more likely to lockup and then kick in the ABS?
    2006 Touring

All the posts are great to hear regarding this upgrade. For those of us who are concerned with the factory spare fitting the Pilot disc and caliper upgrade (De-PAXers like me), may hesitate before plunging into this mod. Though I am eager to do this mod for the safety, I am concerned about the length of time spent on the side of the road if I were to jack up the car twice to change the tire and switch the spare to the rear. With my concerns listed, It's great to hear other posts like OUZO's that have upgraded the stock units to drilled to gain the edge over the OEM setup. I have R1 concepts slotted rotors sitting in the garage ready to go on out Ody. Sorry for the long post.

18. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast