Metal rattling noise around 2K rpm
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Thread: Metal rattling noise around 2K rpm

Metal rattling noise around 2K rpm

Hi Guy I am new her so I apologize if this has been covered but the only search boxes i can see are the premium google search boxes on the side.

Anyway my wife drives a Honda Odyssey or the "Fat Chick" as it is more commonly know (The car not the wife) and when the engine revs as is passes 2000 rpm there is like a metal grinding/rattling noise. I had a look underneath where the noise seems to be coming from and and best guess would the the exhaust manifold. Any idea what the problem may be and an easy solution.

I have changed the clutch in my Rx8 so I am no stranger to a tool box and getting my hands dirty. Thanks in advance for any help.
    I will try to capture the sound on video soon.

Almost forgot it is a 2006 with about 85,000 miles and leather interior (I think an LX)

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

ok before I get flamed for being a noob and not searching I think this is an issue with the heat shielding around the manifold or the cat. I will have a look when I get chance and see if I can fix it

2006's had a problem with the A-pipe in the exhaust system where it would resonate really loud at around 2100 RPM. I had mine change on a TSB under warranty. It's possible that the pipe is failing.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Heat shielding would be my first suspect too. I haven't had the problem on this vehicle, but I could see it being an issue. I am a former rotary head too, keep it up! I gave up my RX-7 when my first came along. I wish I still had it... and a bigger garage.
    mwmcginn

2007 Odyssey LX
    2006 Accord VP

Sounds like the heat shield. Had this noise about 2 years ago and asked the dealer to take a look during oil change. The bolt holes around the heat shield had rusted out and the shield was rattling during startup and light acceleration. I was quoted $800 (mostly labour) to fix. My rep told me as long as the noise doesn't bother us, there was no immediate need to fix it. The noise comes back here and there, but I get the mechanic to take a look every 6 months. BTW we have an 05 EX-L.

Joseph

I had this same problem with the heatshield on my 05 about 2 years ago. The heatshield around the exhaust manifold at the front of the vehicle was coming apart. The fix was to replace the parts or use a stainless steel strap clamp. I went the cheaper route. I drove the right side of the vehicle up a sidewalk (you can do this with ramps also, but I was in NYC at the time) crawled under the front and put the clamp around the two heatshields. Simple fix, took about 15 minutes, most of which was trying to figure out which side to come in from and screwing the clamp tight. Takes a 7 inch clamp that you can get from Home Depot for $3.50. I have also done it now for the catalytic heatshield.
    05 EX-L Midnight Blue Pearl
    01 EX (traded in)
    97 CRV (traded in with 183k miles)
    09 CRV EX
    16 HRV EX

Quote Originally Posted by chan_man View Post
    ...and put the clamp around the two heatshields. Simple fix, took about 15 minutes, most of which was trying to figure out which side to come in from and screwing the clamp tight. Takes a 7 inch clamp that you can get from Home Depot for $3.50. I have also done it now for the catalytic heatshield.
    From what I've seen of heatshields, they typically have some sort of standoff and fasteners that hold them in place. If you (and others, from searching) are using clamps like this, I presume the design is different. Pics sure would be nice....
    '05 Odyssey EX <= the wife's ! | '99 Accord EX <= mine !

I don't have a picture, but from what I saw on our Odyssey, the culprit in our case is a single, upper heat-shield (protecting the undercarriage). In that case, there's nothing to clamp together with hose clamps or stainless zip-ties, right ? I don't think there was ever a bottom-half that has fallen off without us knowing it.

I'm thinking the easiest thing is to either remove it myself or take it to a muffler shop and have them cut it off for a reasonable charge.
    '05 Odyssey EX <= the wife's ! | '99 Accord EX <= mine !

11. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements