06 odyssey rust through
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 06 odyssey rust through

06 odyssey rust through

I have a 2006 Odyssey with 150K miles. I am the original owner and car has not been in a collision. I noticed recently that both of the rear quarter panels along the wheel wells (~2 inches above the edge) started to completely rust through. It started as bubbles but now they are actual holes. Has anyone experienced this on a vehicle as recent as 2006? I also have '98 CRV which has no rust whatsoever

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Chicago's roads are treated with salt in winter and i believe that is one cause of rust. Cars on the southern US doesn't encounter that much winter roads so its not that prevalent to other owners.
    2009 Honda Odyssey EXL-RES (slate green)- mine (turned garage queen)
    2012 Infiniti G25 (gray)- hers
    2006 Scion XB (thundercloud metallic)- my new toy converting it to JDM Toyota BB

Normal.
    Look underneath the car in front of the rear bumper it will be rusted all along there.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

This can be prevented by using a car wash that washes the underbody as soon as the roads are dry. I live in central Ohio where we frequently don't get enough snow to make it worth plowing so they apply pre-snow brine and then salt after it snows. Getting that crap off the car as soon as practical has to be a priority when you live in that kind of climate. I have no signs of issues with mine and it has 158K on it, so it never sits out the bad roads.
    30 year career of car sales and related industry - Part Time Detailer
    2006 EX-L Slate Green Metallic - Purchased new Dec 2005, totaled May 2013 at 166K
    2007 EX-L NAV RES Slate Green Metallic - purchased May 2013 with 113K now 200K+

Very common on Caravan/T&C. I have not seen this on Odysseys.
    2018 EX-L Nav/Res
    2006 EX-L (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by 06 Odyssey View Post
    Very common on Caravan/T&C. I have not seen this on Odysseys.
    Thats exactly what I was thinking and was going to say.

Not a bit of rust on our '06 Odyssey, and they salt the crap out of the roads here in the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by pkrface View Post
    ***snip*** ...so they apply pre-snow brine and then salt after it snows. Getting that crap off the car as soon as practical has to be a priority when you live in that kind of climate. I have no signs of issues with mine and it has 158K on it, so it never sits out the bad roads.
    That brine is even more corrosive than salt. It's harder to wash it off too.
    2002 Odyssey EX Fern (Granite) Green
    Honda hood protector, stainless steel flex brake lines, Honda block heater, AC condenser screen, Zymol wax
    151,000 miles/243,000 kilometres; original transmission; Amsoil MV ATF since 79,000 miles/127,000 kilometres; Magnefine aux ATF filter; Honda aux ATF cooler; 19 drain and fills

Like the original poster I'm surprised at the rust starting on the rear quarters.

I'm the original owner and we did have our bumper cover repainted due to a scrape many years ago. I suspected the body shop perhaps used the wrong fasteners (larger) that cuased the rusting. When I inspected the inside rear quarters I could see rust everywhere - in addition I start looking at the rear quarters of similar vintage Odysseys and guess what ? They are ALL rusting.....

Mechanically the Odyssey has been fine but is starting rust which really bothers me as I keep my vehicles a long time - I was considering getting a Pilot but now I'll stay away from Honda. My 2008 Audi is pristine - I guess the aluminum and galvanizing of the non aluminum body parts helps.

It doesn't look like an easy repair fix either....

What I do every fall as part of "getting ready for winter" for my 05 CRV and 07 Odyssey (can be applied to any vehicle), is to remove all the crap that accumulates on the inside of the wheel well lip (rear). Get a pair of work gloves and with your fingers run them along the inner lips to get all that crap out. Once I've done that, I have this product called "Fluid Film". It's a lanolin based rust inhibitor that I spray on the inner well lips and also at the juncture where the rear bumper cover joins to the steel quarter panel. For the CRV, the well lips are plastic but there's tons of crap where the plastic wheel well meets the steel quarter. If you do that type of clean up 1 - 2 times per year, you pretty much eliminated the risk of having rust come through your rear quarters. You may need to touch up the outside well lip with paint once in a while. I also use fluid film through the door drains (spray it all inside the doors) and also all along the outer surface of the bottom of the doors/rear hatch where the drains are.

This appears to be a problem with this gen Odyssey. My 2007 has rusted through in this spot on both sides. Our van is always garaged, and has 225K miles on it.
    Everything else on the exterior looks good, no rust, and paint still good. Wondering if Honda has TSB or other out on this issue. Definetely rusted through from the inside out. I've seen other cars do this at this seem as well. water in behind and in between, rusting it out from the inside. Bad Design. I took one side apart, ground it all down as best i could inside and out, bondo-ed and repainted and rust came back through in a few weeks. Seen this same problem on several different posts now.

Dan

I have the same thing on my 2007, it is only on one side at this point. I would like to detach the plastic piece and fix the metal part. The rest of the van is awesome.

Welcome to the "rusty club"

Have same thing on my 05 on passenger side. Whats worse, is that I actually had it repaired once, where they cut out the metal and welded in a new piece. Came back within 1.5 years.
    Same thing on another 05 Odyssey I service.

It must be a weak area that holds water. Only explanation I have for this and it does suck.
    Silver/Grey 2005 Odyssey EXL R&N
    White 2009 Maxima SV Premium & Tech

Maker of Max Muzzler with variable resistor, pm to purchase
    Or find my for sale thread in the "For Sale" forum on this site to check out device and feedback.
    Hidden Content

I have the same thing on the drivers side of my 2010, so far nothing on the passenger side.

18. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast