B14 Service price
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Thread: B14 Service price

B14 Service price

I have a B14 maintenance code on my 08 EX-L (105000 miles). I called the dealership today (only one within 50 miles of me) and they quoted me ~200 for the plugs, ~700 for the timing belt/water pump and ~400 for the valve adjustment. This seems high to me. Anyone else care to comment?

Also, when should the serpentine belt be changed on these vehicles? I don't really see a service interval or minder code for it. On my other cars, I just change it every 50k and don't worry about it.

Besides driving over an hour to the next closest dealership, there is an independent "import" mechanic here in town that I've heard from others does good work. Should I trust a "random" mechanic to the internal engine work? That is if they are any cheaper. I haven't called anywhere else yet. My appt is for next Friday.

This is my first non-GM vehicle so this particular aspect of the maintenance (timing belt/interference engine, etc) is new to me.
    2008 Odyssey EX-L - Dark Cherry Pearl
    2009 Acura TSX Base - Premium White Pearl

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

I have the same question about the serpentine belt, so I will be watching for replies.

I haven't had a quote for a similar service on my '09, so I'm not sure, but I would guess those are typical dealer prices. I typically have my service done at the dealer, but over the years I have used a local independent import shop with good results. They even rebuilt the top end of the engine on my CR-V, with no problems afterwards. I think any trusted independent mechanic would be able to do the B14 service. If I went that route, my biggest concern would be that they used Honda parts and correct fluids.

Where are you in Michigan? I'm in East Lansing.
    2009 Odyssey EX

I'm in Midland. Nearest dealer is in Bay City, next closest is Flint and then you are talking Lansing/Ann Arbor/Detroit after that.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

I just got off the phone with the next closest dealer. They said just under $1200 out the door including the oil change/tire rotation and a coolant flush (or at least drain/fill) which I thought was a separate minder code. He listed the plugs, timing belt/tensioner, water pump, and valve adjustment. Also included was a loaner car, which the other dealer was charging extra for (although it's only $10). The other dealer was going to be about 1300 not including the rental, oil change or tire rotation and I don't think they were doing the coolant (or at least they didn't list it over the phone). I think I'm driving an extra hour to save somewhere between 100 and 200 dollars. My time is valuable, but not that valuable.
    Last edited by pL2008; 01-18-2014 at 02:46 PM. Reason: forgot water pump

They always do the coolant change when they do the water pump...

That makes perfect sense I suppose....

My B14 service went without a hitch. Engine runs great with new timing belt/tensioner/water pump/coolant, and plugs. The dealer suckered me into flushing the power steering. Other than having to drive a rental Chevy Sonic with bald tires in the snow for the day and not being able to go over 50 without the back end fishtailing like crazy, it was a decent albeit pricey experience. I hope to spend very little money on the van for the foreseeable future, especially seeing as how I put a new battery, tires, and brakes onto it within the past year.

Quote Originally Posted by pL2008 View Post
    My B14 service went without a hitch. Engine runs great with new timing belt/tensioner/water pump/coolant, and plugs. The dealer suckered me into flushing the power steering. Other than having to drive a rental Chevy Sonic with bald tires in the snow for the day and not being able to go over 50 without the back end fishtailing like crazy, it was a decent albeit pricey experience. I hope to spend very little money on the van for the foreseeable future, especially seeing as how I put a new battery, tires, and brakes onto it within the past year.
    You really should be over the hump at this point. On my '06, once we were past the TB, I only spent $275 in repairs by 166K for the front stabilizer end links and it got it's second set of tires at 135K. Unfortunately that was when it got totaled, but there was still nothing on the horizon at that point. We were getting pretty decent miles out of tires. 75K on the first set and 60K on the second, though the 2nd would have gone at least 70K if the timing had been different. I refuse to run all seasons below 5/32 in the winter.
    30 year career of car sales and related industry - Part Time Detailer
    2006 EX-L Slate Green Metallic - Purchased new Dec 2005, totaled May 2013 at 166K
    2007 EX-L NAV RES Slate Green Metallic - purchased May 2013 with 113K now 200K+

I got three quotes from area dealers that ranged from just over $1300 to nearly $1800, including the timing belt. That is before any coupons and discounts. I have a two coupons for $100 off and 10% off. Not sure if they can be combined.
    '09 EX - L RES
    '05 Touring (my ex)

GDB
    Definitely shop around. On a B14 service I was quoted $250 for the B1 portion and $1500 for the B4 portion of the service. Adding taxes it was going to be approaching $2,000. I called the dealer I bought the vehicle from (a 100 kms away) and they quoted $242.88 for B1 and $1,269.88 for the B4 portion. That’s a difference of $237 before taxes. And they are throwing in a rental vehicle for free. When I called my local dealer they said they would do it all for $1,525. Why didn't they quote that in the first place? Although I still think it’s a bit pricey it’s going to the dealer where I bought the vehicle, a 2016 Odyssey.

Not sure why a 5 year old post was resurrected, but let me state here regarding the timing belt service that most people opt to buy the Aisin timing belt kit for about $200 and have it installed by a reputable independent mechanic. The kit includes a new water pump.
    2010 Honda Odyssey EX-L
    110,000 miles

14. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements