Rear Temp for Dual Zone Climate Control
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rear Temp for Dual Zone Climate Control

Rear Temp for Dual Zone Climate Control

From just looking at an EX-L, I noticed that only the fan speed is controlled from the dash for the 2nd and 3rd row.

Is that a problem if you have two kids in child seats in the 2nd row who can't control the 2nd row temperature settings?

I'm thinking the only way to adjust the temperture is to reach back into the 2nd row while driving....or is there an easier way?

Thank you.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

I believe you're correct.. on my EX-L, I must manually change the temp in the back via the temp dial... the controls in front only adjust the fan speed..

But if I'm wrong, I'd welcome the correction
    '05 EX-L w/RES
    Sage Brush/Ivory
    Aftermarket XM
    Garmin C320 GPS

Mr. Rodgers Neighborhood on Sesame Street
    Anyone know if there is any controling the temp. in 2nd & 3rd row with a the navigation system in an EX-L Nav.Res.???

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

I'm pretty sure only the touring has rear temp control from the front. Every other trim level just has fan control.

Irritating '05 Ody fact #2.

Originally posted by Celos
    I'm pretty sure only the touring has rear temp control from the front. Every other trim level just has fan control.

Irritating '05 Ody fact #2.
    It is very frustrating. Even my '99 was able to adjust hot or cold with the fan control in the front! I thought that having it in SYNC would adjust the air temp to the driver temp, but after trying several times, it doesn't appear to be the case.

The funny thing is that if you turn the rear fan speed up beyond one bar, and then use the Speech Recognition to say "Climate Control Full Automatic" or "Rear Climate Control Full Automatic", the fan speed will drop back to one bar. However, if you simple say, "Climate Control Automatic", the rear fan speed doesn't change. Explain THAT one...

There were a few times that I thought that the fan speed increased to three bars for the rear without me doing anything, however, I can't figure out how it happened and figure that I hit the fan speed by accident.
    ''06 Acura MDX Touring with Nav - 190K Miles

'06 Ody EX-L - Sagebrush - 232K Miles - Saying Goodbye on 01-Jul-2016

'00 Accord V-6 Coupe - 215K Miles

'13 Accord EX Sedan - 74K, Purchased Jun-2016

'06 Acura RSX - 79K, Purchasing 01-Jul-2016

So what are people doing to control the rear temperature with kids strapped in child seats in the second row?

Pulling over when they need to change the temperature?

Reaching back while driving (I can't recall if the 2nd row knobs can be reached by the driver)

Or can the temperature be controlled enough just through the fan speed?

Wyeast
    I can reach the knob, although I haven't changed the temperature much. I sorta leave it around the middle.

--> Andy

Originally posted by Wyeast
    I can reach the knob, although I haven't changed the temperature much. I sorta leave it around the middle.

--> Andy
    Same here
    '05 EX-L w/RES
    Sage Brush/Ivory
    Aftermarket XM
    Garmin C320 GPS

Originally posted by tucker
    So what are people doing to control the rear temperature with kids strapped in child seats in the second row?

Pulling over when they need to change the temperature?

Reaching back while driving (I can't recall if the 2nd row knobs can be reached by the driver)

Or can the temperature be controlled enough just through the fan speed?
    To simulate our '02 ody (where we could control air volume and choose from full hot or full cold) I leave the rear temp control knob on our '05 EXL at either full hot or full cold and then just control fan speed (e.g. air volume) from front. In summer I'll use ceiling vents and use floor vents during winter.

So basically, I don't use the middle temp settings...I just vary the volume of either real cold or real hot air as our '02 worked.

That's basically what we're doing, as well. If it's cold outside, we have it somewhere around mid- or mid-hot (c'mon, it's California, it's not that cold); if it's hot, we have it on full cold.

Then we control it with the fan up front. In another year or so my oldest will be able to reach the knob. I don't know if this is a good or bad thing.

My wife and I figured it out that the temp is controlled the same as the drivers side temp. Even if you don't have sync selected. With sync on it will do all three zones the same. It's kinda messed up, because when I drive I like cold on me and the kids will be freezing.

I have a EX-L RES
    sage brush/olive
    tinted all the windows
    and have a touring console on order

On EX-L, the synch button controls only the front passenger temp. The ONLY way to adjust rear temp is to turn the temperature knob in the rear (behind the drivers head).

Touring has tri-zone control, which does allow control of rear temp.

On my EX-L, I had the Rear Button and the Rear Lock Button On, and the temp in the rear stayed the same as what ever I set it for in the front. Also changing the mode in the front (which controls the vents that air flows from), would change the mode in the rear. In other words, if I had the mode set on air flowing to the floor in the front, it would be on the floor in the rear.
    Still you can't set the rear to a different temp. I told the lady from American Honda, that if the van has RES, it should have full control of the rear air from the front. Because I felt that most people who want RES, have kids too little to reach the manual adjustments in the rear.
    QCTEVE
    • 2005 Ody EX-L RES Silver 85,000 miles
    • 2006 Toyota Highlander 30,000miles

QCSteve,

That's great news! If the rear temperature can be controlled from the dashboard then I'm no longer concerned about buying this van.

I'm more than happy to be a little too warm or too cold just to keep the kids from having a meltdown.

Thanks!

You're welcome Tucker,
    I had the same thoughts about the lack of control for the rear air from the front, but I just couldn't justify the extra expense of the Touring to the wife or myself. Though, I wish I had bought the touring after I got too close to some concrete and scraped the lower front end. The Touring's front sensors would have saved my front end some damage. And during a trip I noticed several places, where road work allowed no place to pull over in case of a flat. These were my other two concerns with which type to buy EX-L or Touring. I plan on buying the next new model of Ody in five years, and replacing my Previa (which will be 17 years old by then - WOW). Buying the EX-L saved a little money to go towards the 2010 Ody. Good luck deciding, QCSTEVE
    QCTEVE
    • 2005 Ody EX-L RES Silver 85,000 miles
    • 2006 Toyota Highlander 30,000miles

18. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast